8 Reasons your Weight Training Results SUCK.

Options

Replies

• Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this!! Thanks for sharing, Chuppy. :)
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I actually have a few comments myself. Though I am not the typical weight lifter IMO. I know exactly why weight training sucks for most people. The bottom line is that most people "DO NOT TRY". I say this from experience. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, spend 20-30 minutes weight training and get more workout than anyone in the gym. You know why? Because 99% of them are taking 1-3 minute rest periods between sets and machines. They sit in there for 1-2 hours and get minimal work done, barely pushing their bodies and also not raising their heart rate above normal. I am doing my sets, pushing as hard as I can and go to the next machine within 10-15 seconds and begin my next workout. People are too lazy to see results and thats why they do not get them.

As for split body routine, I do not do that either, I work as many body parts as I feel I want to, and then I am done, I do this 2 days and normally take 1 day off, this is my routine for recovery periods so that I can do full body without any complications.

Overall, yes weight lifting can suck and show no results. But that's because no one really pushes themselves. Cardio, such as a treadmill pretty much forces you to run and you do it. As for the bike, most people set a goal and with the time, calorie count and much more on a bike, most feel they are getting more out of it and makes it easier for them to keep going, that and it is easier to do than weight training. Weight training yields more calorie loss than cardio if done correctly. The afterburn of weight training is also much higher. This is just my opinion but I feel it true. You have a great post and it does apply to most people.
  • emily2tx
    emily2tx Posts: 77
    Options
    bump:love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    #1: Your progression sucks.
    Pay attention to this one. While this list isn't in any specific order, I still put this one on top for a reason. Above all else, the key to increasing muscle, strength, endurance, or just improving your overall fitness level is quite simply progression. There must be some type of progression, and all focus should be placed on making this progression occur as often as it possibly can.

If you consistently work out in any typical gym for a certain period of time, one thing you are sure to see are the same people, doing the same exercises, with the same weight, for the same number of reps, for weeks, months and years... and continuing to get the same sucky results. And, rightfully so.

Without making an effort to progress, you will do nothing but maintain your current state. It's the progressive overload principle. Basically, you need to convince your body that results (be it muscle, strength, whatever) NEED to happen, and the only way to do this convincing is by progressively increasing the demands being placed on your body.

The human body is smart. If you put it in a certain situation consistently, it will adapt. In this case the "consistent situation" is progressive weight training. The adaptation? Making you stronger, creating new muscle tissue, etc.. This is the real goal here... gradually increasing what your body is capable of doing so that it is constantly adapting to these new demands. This constant adapting leads to constant results.

I realize that this section is about progression, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why is getting good results and then maintaining them "sucky results"? If you get to where you want to be, then maintenance doesn't seem "sucky" to me. If the results were good why aren't they still good?

And it seems to make even less sense when it comes to women. Either women can build big bulky muscles or they can't. If continually increasing weight means constantly creating new muscle tissue then surely muscles would continually get bigger. And if they continually get bigger, then at some point you would reach "bulky". If they don't continually get bigger, then wouldn't you be back to "sucky results" (maintaining)?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    #1: Your progression sucks.
    Pay attention to this one. While this list isn't in any specific order, I still put this one on top for a reason. Above all else, the key to increasing muscle, strength, endurance, or just improving your overall fitness level is quite simply progression. There must be some type of progression, and all focus should be placed on making this progression occur as often as it possibly can.

If you consistently work out in any typical gym for a certain period of time, one thing you are sure to see are the same people, doing the same exercises, with the same weight, for the same number of reps, for weeks, months and years... and continuing to get the same sucky results. And, rightfully so.

Without making an effort to progress, you will do nothing but maintain your current state. It's the progressive overload principle. Basically, you need to convince your body that results (be it muscle, strength, whatever) NEED to happen, and the only way to do this convincing is by progressively increasing the demands being placed on your body.

The human body is smart. If you put it in a certain situation consistently, it will adapt. In this case the "consistent situation" is progressive weight training. The adaptation? Making you stronger, creating new muscle tissue, etc.. This is the real goal here... gradually increasing what your body is capable of doing so that it is constantly adapting to these new demands. This constant adapting leads to constant results.

I realize that this section is about progression, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why is getting good results and then maintaining them "sucky results"? If you get to where you want to be, then maintenance doesn't seem "sucky" to me. If the results were good why aren't they still good?

And it seems to make even less sense when it comes to women. Either women can build big bulky muscles or they can't. If continually increasing weight means constantly creating new muscle tissue then surely muscles would continually get bigger. And if they continually get bigger, then at some point you would reach "bulky". If they don't continually get bigger, then wouldn't you be back to "sucky results" (maintaining)?

The amount of muscle gained after the first year or so of weight training is drastically reduced. As is the ability to add weight to the program. After a few years, gain is negligible, both in progress and mass. So, its not like someone is going to just keep getting stronger and stronger and hulk up... or we'd have dudes squatting school buses.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    And if they continually get bigger, then at some point you would reach "bulky". If they don't continually get bigger, then wouldn't you be back to "sucky results" (maintaining)?

Not at all. It's a misconception that muscle size and muscle strength go hand-in-hand, they really don't. Actually, most of your female/male bodybuilder types are not remotely as strong as a professional athlete or an intermediate to advanced powerlifter. You can very much get stronger without significantly increasing muscle mass.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later. Thanks for posting!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    THis is a GREAT article! My results are pretty darn good. I follow the new Rules program. Cold my results be better? You bet! I suck at eating clean and I eat too many carbs and not enough protein.
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read when I get home!
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good article!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    The amount of muscle gained after the first year or so of weight training is drastically reduced. As is the ability to add weight to the program. After a few years, gain is negligible, both in progress and mass. So, its not like someone is going to just keep getting stronger and stronger and hulk up... or we'd have dudes squatting school buses.

I would have to disagree with results from heavy lifting to begin with. I used to lift way over most people in my gym class, yet there were people lifting half as much with more muscle. I think endurance has a lot to do with gain.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I'm going to have to read this later and possibly print it out and tape it to my mirror. #8 is the real *kitten*-kicker for me. Diet, ugh.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this article, but I'd like to point out that the reason women use those little, light dumbbells is not because we don't want to look like men, but because we're TOLD to, repeatedly. OK, I can't speak for everybody else, but that's certainly my experience. I've heard over and over that small weights are best. In fact somebody told me that last week. I had a trainer at a gym a few years ago and I was told to do 20 set reps of small weights. In fact, I can't remember anyone ever telling me (in real life) that I should be lifting heavier and heavier weights. I'm only doing that because of the internet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with results from heavy lifting to begin with. I used to lift way over most people in my gym class, yet there were people lifting half as much with more muscle. I think endurance has a lot to do with gain.

When you're just talking mass gain it's largely due to diet and eating an excessive amount of calories.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bumping for later... good points so far though! :drinker: