8 Reasons your Weight Training Results SUCK.

Options

Replies

• bigbrownbear123
    Options
    You are not understanding what I mean. I do not do 10 second rest periods between the same machine. I do a circuit. I will do 1 set of tri's, then go to leg press for 1 set, then abs for 1 set, then bicep curls for another set and I dont rest very long and have full strength for each. By the time I get to my second set of tri's, I have the strength to do it.

Ah OK, I thought you were referring to standard weight training, my bad. In that case, you see people rest for 3 minutes between stations in a circuit? Wow haha...

And I'd agree that the article was maybe worded somewhat poorly, if you achieve your goals and upon re-evaluation are still happy then obviously maintenance is the way to go.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    You are not understanding what I mean. I do not do 10 second rest periods between the same machine. I do a circuit. I will do 1 set of tri's, then go to leg press for 1 set, then abs for 1 set, then bicep curls for another set and I dont rest very long and have full strength for each. By the time I get to my second set of tri's, I have the strength to do it.

Ah OK, I thought you were referring to standard weight training, my bad. In that case, you see people rest for 3 minutes between stations in a circuit? Wow haha...

And I'd agree that the article was maybe worded somewhat poorly, if you achieve your goals and upon re-evaluation are still happy then obviously maintenance is the way to go.

yes, I see them walking over to a station and then just sit down, previously had been sitting at other machine. Maybe its just Arizona, but lots of lazy people. I would say the only people working hard are the guys near the free weights that may or may not be on roids.
  • BeachBobbie
    Options
    Wow, that's really long............

you make me laugh...hehe :laugh:
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bumping again for later re-reading, Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is great! Looks like I'm doing it right! ~pats self on back~
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

As an fyi, there is a specific reason why people doing heavy weight strength routines rest for 3 to 5 minutes between sets. After a set of 4 to 8 reps of heavy weight, you rest for 3 to 5 minutes in order to allow the ATP-PC energy system to fully recover so that you have max energy and power to get the most out of the next set. This lead to a much higher failure threshold and enable a better workout of the muscle group.

The science behind it involves the energy from ATP losing a molecule during work and then making the remaining by product, ADP, unusable as an energy source. The time taken resting allows creatine in the system, whether from supplementation or naturally occuring, to replace the missing molecule and generate ATP for the next set. That help the next set to be far more effective.

So, those of us that you see resting for 3 to 5 minutes are not really dogging it! LOL :wink:
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zbatch34
    zbatch34 Posts: 7
    Options
    Im a banana....
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks kid :)
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    As an fyi, there is a specific reason why people doing heavy weight strength routines rest for 3 to 5 minutes between sets. After a set of 4 to 8 reps of heavy weight, you rest for 3 to 5 minutes in order to allow the ATP-PC energy system to fully recover so that you have max energy and power to get the most out of the next set. This lead to a much higher failure threshold and enable a better workout of the muscle group.

The science behind it involves the energy from ATP losing a molecule during work and then making the remaining by product, ADP, unusable as an energy source. The time taken resting allows creatine in the system, whether from supplementation or naturally occuring, to replace the missing molecule and generate ATP for the next set. That help the next set to be far more effective.

So, those of us that you see resting for 3 to 5 minutes are not really dogging it! LOL :wink:

Yeh I understand the workings of the ATP-PC system, but 3 minutes rest is enough for pretty much 100% recovery of PC stores. 5 minutes seems excessive, especially when you talk about circuit training where you are working different muscle groups during consecutive exercises.

As I understand it, PC stores are local (unlike glycogen stores where a large amount is stored in the liver) so if you work a muscle group really hard but then go on to work a different muscle group there should be no major fatiguing effect from the first exercise on the next exercise. As long as you're not working pretty much continuously for long periods (like 3 minutes+), there should be time for the aerobic system to 'catch up' and resynthesise PC stores. This is also what I feel from personal experience when training. 5 minutes rest seems far too long.
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article.

I laughed at number 2 as I bought a set of pink dumbells thinking they were 3kg but they turned out to be 3lb. I now use them for press ups (it helps as I only have a 45 degree hand split(?). I really can't understand when I see women using the 1kg weight.

My heaviest weight at the moment is a 6kg for a bent over row and even that's now starting to feel light - and no, I'm not that muscley.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

My point is, why rest for 3 minutes to do another set when you could be using those 3 minutes to do another body part? makes more sense to me and saves time. Not only that but helps to increase heart rate so you can even get in some cardio with weight training.
  • tlctrace
    tlctrace Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great article. I'm guilty of using - not pink - but purple 5 lb weights. Purchasing heavier weights is on my checklist for this week!
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Great article. I'm guilty of using - not pink - but purple 5 lb weights. Purchasing heavier weights is on my checklist for this week!

I do not know what you use the 5lb weight for, but if you use them while doing exercise routines, I think 5 pounds is a pretty good weight if your doing something like p90x where its an hour of training. Granted, if you are already used to the weights, then going up a weight is good too.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    bump
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots to read and take in here. Most of it hit home but a lot of the ATC-PC whatcha-ma-call-it went over my head. Thanks for all the info.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good stuff

Buying a notebook to use as a workout journal so you can record your lifts and ensure you make steady progress is one of the best training investments you can ever make.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

My point is, why rest for 3 minutes to do another set when you could be using those 3 minutes to do another body part? makes more sense to me and saves time. Not only that but helps to increase heart rate so you can even get in some cardio with weight training.

You are correct as is the other poster who responded if the person is doing circuit. If doing compounds working "full body" or larger muscle groups with free weights, it's a different story. I also agree with the other poster that 3 minutes is enough. I have trouble waiting that long. 5 minutes does seem a little excessive to me also.