Confused about Atkins

Options
2»

Replies

• wilk2121
    wilk2121 Posts: 4
    Options
    I looked at the old Atkins which really was dangerous for long term. The idea is to lose weight and keep it off. If you love your carbs you won't be able to maintain once you lose and will gain it back once you reintroduce the carbs back into your diet. The "New Atkins" looks like more like the South Beach diet. I had great success with it. I liked that I could have fruit, vegies and carbs! I even kept it off for 2 years because it was so easy to maintain. I changed my eating habits and it didn't feel like a diet. I met my fiance and got comfortable and ended up changing my eating habits to match his. He is a very bad eater lol. Consequently I gained over 40 pounds in the past 4 years. This time I'm not following a "diet" at all. I know what I should be eating. I've cut the sugar out of my diet and all processed foods. I eat my protein and my fruits, nuts and vegies. I eat whole grain carbs sparingly and it's working well for me.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it's good to see everyone's outlook! Thanks :)
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I did Adkins for 7-8 months and lost almost 70lbs. I thought it was the best thing ever. Then, I got pregnant and gained 90lbs. I tried it again after the pregnancy, but Adkins is something that you have to make a lifetime committment to. If you're able to do that, you'll have great success!!

Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do a modified version as I don't think the unlimited idea of Atkins works. I count my calories here and watch my carbs. My carbs only come from fruit and veggies mainly. I also count my calories to stay within perameters.

Once withdrawl from carbs is over you don't crave them at all. The only time you will crave them again is if you have some and have to start withdrawl over again.

I have PCOS so it's the only way I have found to get my body to shed fat. Plus I feel great when I don't have refined carbs in my body. It's great not getting sleepy an hour after eating all the time!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.

This!!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and my doctor endorsed Atkins for me several years ago when I was losing weight for my wedding. Fast forward 9 years, two kids, etc, and I needed to lose weight again. Lost 20 pounds just watching calories, but started slowing down. Limited carbs to 1/2 of MFPs allowance and started losing again. I love carbs too much to give them up altogether, but MFPs guidelines were just too high for me.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The new Atkins plan allows you to introduce good carbs (like wheat bread, tortillas, brown rice, fruit etc) slowly back into your diet. Yes, the first two weeks of the Induction plan is strictly vegetables, meat, dairy and no more than 20-25 carbs a day. After that, you begin to increase the carbs 5 grams at a time until the weight loss ceases. Once that happens, you know what your limit is. But white flour/foods are pretty much off-limits or only an occasional treat. Also, Atkins now wants you to track calories, not like the old days when there was no limit.

I am down 77 pounds on a low-carb diet. I know that I cannot eat white pasta, rice, and bread without getting addicted again, so I just quit altogether.
  • vsecret921
    Options
    The new Atkins plan allows you to introduce good carbs (like wheat bread, tortillas, brown rice, fruit etc) slowly back into your diet. Yes, the first two weeks of the Induction plan is strictly vegetables, meat, dairy and no more than 20-25 carbs a day. After that, you begin to increase the carbs 5 grams at a time until the weight loss ceases. Once that happens, you know what your limit is. But white flour/foods are pretty much off-limits or only an occasional treat. Also, Atkins now wants you to track calories, not like the old days when there was no limit.

I am down 77 pounds on a low-carb diet. I know that I cannot eat white pasta, rice, and bread without getting addicted again, so I just quit altogether.

That's what I was looking at was the new program. And I saw that once you got to the end of the program you slowly added in some carbs.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I felt horrible on this diet, just terrible. Drained, lethargic, irritable, headachey and constantly exhausted. Trying to stick to 20 grams of carbs per day for the "induction phase" is brutal and I would never ever do it again.

IMHO, it might be a better option to try cutting your carbs to a more reasonable level (say 100-150grams) and trying to get them from filling whole grains, veggies and fruits before you go all out Atkins.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    eat healthy, veggies and fruits the most of and everything else sparingly, whole unproccessed and light on dairy. You'll do fine. Oh, and don't forget to move the body any which way for exercise, all that equals a lifetime of good habits. Now, if I can only follow my own rule, lol. (kidding, I'm doing ok)
  • vsecret921
    Options
    eat healthy, veggies and fruits the most of and everything else sparingly, whole unproccessed and light on dairy. You'll do fine. Oh, and don't forget to move the body any which way for exercise, all that equals a lifetime of good habits. Now, if I can only follow my own rule, lol. (kidding, I'm doing ok)

:) I just started the c25k program and I'm feeling good! I am eating more fruits and veggies :) and Just stuck my bread "stuff" in the freezer so i have to think really hard if I want it!
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that I found this thread as I have some questions on this one too. Some of the information MFP's have provided has been helpful, but I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about low carbs next time I see him (which probably won't be for a while...knock on wood!).

I am not completely cutting out carbs, but I have significantly lowered them. I didn't completely plan it that way, I'm just trying to figure out what works for my body. But this seems to be doing the trick and has helped my weight loss take off pretty steadily. But unlike atkins, I eat PLENTY of fresh fruits and veggies now - and in checking my daily percentages, I am finding I am eating a better equal balance between all three areas as opposed to a majority of my percentage being in carbs.

I think the best way to go about it is to discuss it with your doctor and find what works best for your body. It's a hard, long journey - and I feel like I have only just begun. And I am in day 105 already. It's a big overwhelming! :ohwell:
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fatty Acids, Amino Acids and Glucose (carbs) are essential nutrients that your body "needs". When you deprive your body of a nutrient, it doesn't just substitute fat in it's place. Your body breaks down it's muscles and converts those amino acids to the glucose your muscles need. I train several people who tried Atkins, then gained it back. What more important that "Atkins" or any name brand diet is understanding your body's calorie needs and portion control. If you eat complex carbs instead of simple carbs in moderation, you will experience the same results and not have to be in fear that once you introduce carbs again, you will gain it all right back. With any diet or nutrition program, don't become a slave to the scale. Check your body fat percentage. That's a better gauge if you are getting healthy or not. You can drop 20 pounds of water or bone/muscle and not lose a pound of fat if you aren't on the right program.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do Atkins, make sure you actually read all the information for the program before you start. The mistake most people make is dong it half-a$$ed thinking they can just live off eggs, cheese and meat and risk health issues because they're not doing it right. These are also the people who tend to put the weight right back on as soon as they stop eating that way.

If you just want to cut your carbs a little, there are plenty of options out there. I recently cut mine down a bit by switching from using sandwich thins to using flatout wraps for my sandwiches. I still get plenty of carbs, I just didn't want them all coming from my bread choices. As far as pasta goes, there are some low carb options still available in stores (Dreamfields) but even the whole grain pastas are better than regular white because they have less "net carbs" (fiber content offsets total carbs). Or go another way and try using spaghetti squash or thinly sliced zucchini instead!