What made you start running?

Options

Replies

• waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I figured if Forrest Gump could do it, so could I.
  • BertieGotSkill
    BertieGotSkill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started a Quidditch club at my university and quickly realized that I couldn't keep up with the game. For those who don't know, Muggle Quidditch is played by players running instead of flying on brooms. It can get intense.

So about a month ago, I started doing C25K. It's slow going- I had to fall back a week due to illness- but I'm enjoying it and love how I'm being able to go for longer. My goal is to be able to run a 5K by the end of the summer. :D
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Because I'm cheap! I live in So Cal and the weather is almost always good enough for a run. All I need to burn some calories is a decent pair of running shoes. I've been running for most of my life now. :)

Sooooo Jelly of the SoCal weather! We have freezing snow bound winters, rainy spring and hot humid summer. We get like 8 or 9 nice days in the fall though usually!

So do you run inside? Amazing! Well, at least you have beautiful seasons. We don't have a true winter or fall. But I'm not complaining much about that. ;b

Happy 4th of July!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Because I love how my husband has a perfect body and I told him I wanted to loose weight so we were both really fit. So i quit smoking, started out walking then he asked if I wanted to start running because its faster than walking and you loose more. So I said Heck yeah! I'm not fast, and I can't run more than like 1.5 miles but he asked if I ever wanted to do a 10k together and i said yes, but you have to train me to be faster stronger and better. So I had a reason to start, and motivation to keep going to become better at it:)
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been using a stepper machine for my cardio in my flat for 3 weeks now (30 mins 3 times a week) but I want to step it up a gear - hoped someone in this discussion would be able to help! I really want to run, but I've tried before and get 5 minutes in, all red in the face and I just want to turn around and go home. Any advice for a newbie runner? does the couch to 5k program work?

Another small question for runners - i get in from work and feel like i should exercise before dinner, but that leads to eating quite late in the evening. Is it better to run before preparing dinner or after I've eaten? (Which i guess isn't great for digestion!)
  • cmpoole2k
    cmpoole2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight and spend more time with my husband while getting fit. We joined a running class together about 5 years ago. I quickly found that my husband ran much faster than I did, and with his competitive nature, he was not willing to slow down for me. But I also found that running was a great way to get in shape, and socialize "on the go".

My best friend asked if I wanted to run the Marine Corp 10K, so that was my first race back in 2008. I've run several 10Ks, 10 milers and half marathons since, and am training for my first marathon in October (the Marine Corp - where it all started :-))

A pretty bad injury back in March has forced me to pay more attention to my body, and train smarter. I now have custom orthodics for all of my shoes and have to run with a stability ankle brace, but the "need" to run is so ingrained at this point that I will do whatever I have to to be out on the raod feeling free and feeding my fitness addiction.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been using a stepper machine for my cardio in my flat for 3 weeks now (30 mins 3 times a week) but I want to step it up a gear - hoped someone in this discussion would be able to help! I really want to run, but I've tried before and get 5 minutes in, all red in the face and I just want to turn around and go home. Any advice for a newbie runner? does the couch to 5k program work?

Another small question for runners - i get in from work and feel like i should exercise before dinner, but that leads to eating quite late in the evening. Is it better to run before preparing dinner or after I've eaten? (Which i guess isn't great for digestion!)

Yea the C25K program works.. do a search for it on here and there is a million in one topics on it and how it works.
    It literally starts you off with running for a minute, walking for a minute and a half.. then builds up from there.

As far as dinner goes, I always exercised before and then ate after. Calories don't care how late you eat them.. and there is no truth to the if you eat after 6/7 pm you will gain fat myth. As long as you are not over calories, you can eat as late as you want and be fine.
  • cmpoole2k
    cmpoole2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I hated running when I first started - always winded and very slow. I found out once I started working with a trainer that I was not breathing properly - only through my nose. Who knew? Once I started breathing through my mouth, running became so much easier and less of a chore.

As far as the eating, I am in a similar situation. I work very long hours and usually am not able to work out or run until later in the evening. I know it is not the best, but I eat after my workouts, but I am very conscious of portion size and try to eat more vegetables and protein, very light on if any carbs such as rice, bread and pasta.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I started a Quidditch club at my university and quickly realized that I couldn't keep up with the game. For those who don't know, Muggle Quidditch is played by players running instead of flying on brooms. It can get intense.

So about a month ago, I started doing C25K. It's slow going- I had to fall back a week due to illness- but I'm enjoying it and love how I'm being able to go for longer. My goal is to be able to run a 5K by the end of the summer. :D

I never heard of Quidditch as a real sport! Do you carry brooms- or broom-like things (as in broomball, which is like the most fun EVER)? That is really cool!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yea the C25K program works.. do a search for it on here and there is a million in one topics on it and how it works.
    It literally starts you off with running for a minute, walking for a minute and a half.. then builds up from there.

As far as dinner goes, I always exercised before and then ate after. Calories don't care how late you eat them.. and there is no truth to the if you eat after 6/7 pm you will gain fat myth. As long as you are not over calories, you can eat as late as you want and be fine.

^^She's got it. I eat late. I can't comment personally on C25K but it's made a lot of runners out of running-haters, so it seems to work really well. There's 2 principles that helped me re-learn how to run (as an adult) that I think are incorporated in to c25k-
    1. Go slow. Slower than you think, and slower than feels comfortable.
    2. Run intervals (slowly! see #1), walk to rest.
    I did sort of a progressive overload thing, run as long as you can, walk ONLY long enough to catch your breath, but for that you have to be pretty disciplined about how long to walk. C25k builds that in to a more structured program.
  • abbielle
    abbielle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started running because it annoyed me that I couldn't. We did cross country in sport at school and I was always last. I started to run in sixth form to prove a point to myself.
  • abbielle
    abbielle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    (this was meant to be a quote/reply thing but I pressed the wrong button and now I can't delete)
    I used to be bad at running (I'm not good now but I'm better) I find that the only way I can improve by running is just by running. I'm too impatient for things like C25K or anything (had it on my phone used it for 5 minutes gave up)
    I just run until I'm tired and then walk until I can run again, and so forth until I'm home (or finished whatever distance on the tredmill) over time your body will improve and the walking will become less and the running more.
    My mum uses a different technique, she jogs/walks at slow speed she can continue round the whole course for. Just try out some different techniques and find what works for you :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Because I'm cheap! I live in So Cal and the weather is almost always good enough for a run. All I need to burn some calories is a decent pair of running shoes. I've been running for most of my life now. :)

Sooooo Jelly of the SoCal weather! We have freezing snow bound winters, rainy spring and hot humid summer. We get like 8 or 9 nice days in the fall though usually!

So do you run inside? Amazing! Well, at least you have beautiful seasons. We don't have a true winter or fall. But I'm not complaining much about that. ;b

Happy 4th of July!

I try to run outside as much as possible- honestly you get used to heat and cold and learn to tolerate it with proper clothing. Rain I avoid unless it surprises me mid-run. During the winter I do more of my running on a treadmill just because it's so easy- I actually did 99% of my training for a spring half marathon on a treadmill during a particularly bad winter a couple years ago- It was boring as heck, but I just listened to audiobooks and zoned out during long treadmill runs, so I actually looked forward to hearing my story.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    (this was meant to be a quote/reply thing but I pressed the wrong button and now I can't delete)
    I used to be bad at running (I'm not good now but I'm better) I find that the only way I can improve by running is just by running. I'm too impatient for things like C25K or anything (had it on my phone used it for 5 minutes gave up)
    I just run until I'm tired and then walk until I can run again, and so forth until I'm home (or finished whatever distance on the tredmill) over time your body will improve and the walking will become less and the running more.
    My mum uses a different technique, she jogs/walks at slow speed she can continue round the whole course for. Just try out some different techniques and find what works for you :)

QFT. New runners frequently post questions about how to get faster, or build endurance, or whatever to improve their running- and the truth is in bold- the only way to get better is to run more. Eventually you get to a point where your endurance is pretty good, and you're generally comfortable running, then it comes time to add speed workouts, and hill repeats, fartleks, etc. but for new runners, you gotta pay your dues first! Just run!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I started running to lose weight and get fit and a friend of mine challenged me to join him for the Bataan Memorial Death March......a marathon that 90% of the people who enter do NOT run, but march and one that nearly 50% of participants don't finish.

So I said, "26.2 miles through the New Mexico desert?? SURE!" And I did it, in around 10 hours....it was brutal, but the bug was caught. :)

This year, I actually ran most of a 1/2 marathon in Boston and I run a minimum of 5 days a week because it's become an addiction. I've lost 90 pounds, I've got 10 to go and I'm not planning to stop running anytime soon.

I simply love it. :D
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I started running to lose weight and get fit and a friend of mine challenged me to join him for the Bataan Memorial Death March......a marathon that 90% of the people who enter do NOT run, but march and one that nearly 50% of participants don't finish.

So I said, "26.2 miles through the New Mexico desert?? SURE!" And I did it, in around 10 hours....it was brutal, but the bug was caught. :)

This year, I actually ran most of a 1/2 marathon in Boston and I run a minimum of 5 days a week because it's become an addiction. I've lost 90 pounds, I've got 10 to go and I'm not planning to stop running anytime soon.

OMG 10 hours is a long time! How do you keep fueled for that long? I mean, is it just gels and powerbars for 10 hours or do you like eat something more substantial during that time?
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

OMG 10 hours is a long time! How do you keep fueled for that long? I mean, is it just gels and powerbars for 10 hours or do you like eat something more substantial during that time?

They had fruit about every three miles and yeah, GU packs. The half in Boston was a much better time and I was way more prepared. I plan to do Bataan again some day.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I'm still a big newbie at running. I started doing interval running for fat loss, and kept boosting the speed of my sprints. Not all that long ago I started to see just how long I could go without stopping. I'm still a slowpoke at a steady run, but I can go 3 miles now without stopping :bigsmile:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I ran so I could eat more. Walking was becoming too time consuming LOL.

Yep. Pretty much this.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm still a big newbie at running. I started doing interval running for fat loss, and kept boosting the speed of my sprints. Not all that long ago I started to see just how long I could go without stopping. I'm still a slowpoke at a steady run, but I can go 3 miles now without stopping :bigsmile:

Speed will come with time! Congrats- keep it up!