What made you start running?

123457»

Replies

• 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    i started running to try and increase my fitness level. but at heart im lazy and really struggle to get out. once im out running i enjoy it and when im finished i feel sooooo good, but its getting out for me thats hard! always feel that everyone is laughing at the fat girl trying to run, but at least im trying!!!! xx
  • 1980karen
    3 miles without stopping is really good! well done and keep it up! xx
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Angry Army Drill Sergeants.
  • 1980karen
    I wanted to get into shape. I started off by walking and then running just came natural after walking was just not enough. Now I love running, and I am addicted to getting out there and hitting the pavement.
    well done on the 61lbs!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I started running twice in my life- first, when I was going in to high school and the first cut for making the soccer team was that you had to do 4 miles in 40 mins- if you couldn't do that you couldn't try out any further. Then, I realized that I could get a more advantageous position if I could play midfield in addition to offense, which meant a LOT of running- so I amped up my running so that I could make varsity in 10th grade.

I didn't run as a sport of it's own until I was in college, and my school work dictated that I couldn't play competitive soccer anymore. I wasn't great at that level anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss, but I felt abandoned without a team sport, having been on teams literally my whole life. I eventually realized running was something I could do by myself on my own time! For my 22nd birthday I bought myself entry in to the VA beach Rock & Roll Half Marathon, due to take place on my 23rd birthday- it was expensive (really expensive for a college student!) but I had a year to prepare. When I undertook this mission, I could not run at all, I had let my fitness completely go and couldn't run a mile straight. On my 23rd b-day I finished my first half, on the beach, in 2:15:44.

That's my story- what's yours?

I have been involved in track and field athletics (on and off) for 38 years. I used to do sprinting, but as I have gotten older, I find sprinting on all-weather tracks hurts my achilles, plus I have tons more stamina nowadays than I used to when I was younger. I have moved towards 5k, 10k and want to start some half marathons soon. I adore running, can't seem to get it out of my blood lol
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    I used to run because I had to do so when I was enlisted.

Years later, I started running because I had a pretty girl, with the right set of blue eyes ask, "Are you running the 10K with us next month?" ...Why yes, yes I am :wink:

Then for years I continued to run just to prove to myself that I could finish the races I joined (I never win - with the exception of one age group event - I just finish).

Now? Now I actually run because I enjoy it. I've knocked out four marathons in two months (May, June) and I've got twelve more on the calendar between August and the middle of January.

The unfortunate side effect is that I never seem to have anything else to talk about :ohwell:

Wow- that is a LOT of marathons! I know what you mean about not having anything to talk about too- people who don't run- specifically all of my friends and family- don't want to hear about running EVER either, they act like you just cornered them with a scrapbook about your 17 cats when you bring it up!

LMAO!!!! I've surprisingly gotten the opposite effect. Maybe because I'm a fairly new runner. I just attended a cousin's wedding a couple weeks ago and kept getting approached by family asking about my running and commenting on how I've toned up! I started running because one of my sisters wanted to run in the Hot Chocolate 5k last November. I signed up with her because, well, Chocolate Fondue! LOL. Only kinda true...I'm not a Huge chocolate fan, but I wanted to go for the experience. I've always worried about my knees though, and still kinda do. Trying to focus on my form so I don't put so much strain on the knees. I've participated in 6 5k's since the Hot Chocolate run. I think I caught the running bug! :happy:
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Initially as a kid I loved it. More recently too much to drink!

I had to stop exercising due to illhealth in my early 20's. Over the years I started back swimming, going to the gum, horse riding but never running - think I thought I could never do that again.

6yrs ago working away I got chatting to a guy from another area if our business. He was a rubber & I started to reminisce. Being from Newcastle he asked if I'd ever done the Great North Run, no I hadn't but it had always being in my to do list.

A pact was made (over said drinks beer is bad for you!) I'd start running & we'd do GNR together the following year. The rest as they say is history. We did indeed run GNR I've since done it again & we're both signed up again for this year. I've done various races since & discovered a love for more challenging runs my profile pic is at the Paras 10 ran at an Army camp & I love Hell Runner mud hills & bogs!!

I have so much to thank my now very good friend for - oh & my mum is running GNR this year her 1st at 67yrs old I'm loving our training runs!! (she's busyizzy27 on here)
  • Well, when I ran as a teen in school it was because they made me.

When I was in my 20s in the Army it was because they made me.

No matter how fast or how far I could go, it was always miserable. I'm not someone who gets a "runner's high" from exercise... and running was always just torture that lasted years lol.

Now, in my mid-30s, after about 10-12years of not *having* to, I've started running of my own choice. When I'd lost about 90lbs (I gained 170 through my 20s and early 30s) I was walking on the treadmill and suddenly thought, "I bet I could jog a bit... let's try it", and did so and it wasn't horrible for a change. I did some walk/run times here and there and actually kinda liked the running bits.

So, I've decided to do C25K and it's going well. I'm down about 111lbs now and EVERYTHING is easier, so this is effecting all my movement choices. I am enjoying jogging for the first time in my life so I'm seeing where it goes.
  • jguidroz
    jguidroz Posts: 17 Member
    When I finally had enough of gaining weight and was ready to lose running was the one thing I hated. I wasn't good at it, but I can't admit defeat very often so I found couch to 5k and just kept at it. Once completed I started bridge to 10k. I am struggling a bit with that one so went back to the couch to 5k and am increasing my speed before I try to 10k again.
  • BertieGotSkill
    BertieGotSkill Posts: 61 Member
    I started a Quidditch club at my university and quickly realized that I couldn't keep up with the game. For those who don't know, Muggle Quidditch is played by players running instead of flying on brooms. It can get intense.

So about a month ago, I started doing C25K. It's slow going- I had to fall back a week due to illness- but I'm enjoying it and love how I'm being able to go for longer. My goal is to be able to run a 5K by the end of the summer. :D

I never heard of Quidditch as a real sport! Do you carry brooms- or broom-like things (as in broomball, which is like the most fun EVER)? That is really cool!

Brooms are encouraged, but you can pretty much play on any broom-like thing as long is it fits in the 40"-46" length rule. Most of my group plays on brooms, but one of us did play on a curtain rod. One of the first times it was played in Middlebury, a guy showed up with a lamp lol. Then at a tournament, most of the teams were playing on wooden sticks.

It's a really fun game and has been a big help to me losing weight this year!
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    I was very into the gym 10 years ago and my friend, also a keen gym bunny kept nagging me and nagging me. I said I couldn't run as I was crap at it in school.

I gave in and ran with her.

10 years on I can't imagine life not being a runner! I have run 6 marathons, have another 2 booked, plus a 50km ultra in October, I go on a runners forum daily, spend way too much on running kit and have made lots of running friends.

Now I am a runner not just a person that runs. :drinker:
  • I started running to lose weight and get fit and a friend of mine challenged me to join him for the Bataan Memorial Death March......a marathon that 90% of the people who enter do NOT run, but march and one that nearly 50% of participants don't finish.

So I said, "26.2 miles through the New Mexico desert?? SURE!" And I did it, in around 10 hours....it was brutal, but the bug was caught. :)

This year, I actually ran most of a 1/2 marathon in Boston and I run a minimum of 5 days a week because it's become an addiction. I've lost 90 pounds, I've got 10 to go and I'm not planning to stop running anytime soon.

I simply love it. :D

A coworker and I are participating in the Bataan Memorial Death March this year. Really looking forward to it. If you've any advice about it please let me know.
  • bre1833
    bre1833 Posts: 34 Member
    My daugher was is in the 4th grade and was running her first 5K. I didn't want here doing it alone so I decided to train (used the couch to 5k app). I didn't tell anyone that I was going to run with her. When we got there to check in I got out numbers. She was so excited and shocked that I was doing it with her. It felt SO good to be there doing it with her.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    I've always wanted to be a runner but just thought it was impossible... my whole family runs, my dad did 5ks and 10ks religously, my uncle and cousins are marathon runners and then there was me... walk a mile and fall over...

I tried the C25K a few times always burning out in week 3 and getting discouraged, then this summer after having a major knee surgery I said damn it I'm going to do this... maybe I'm only up to running a slow mile or two at a time but the first day I hit 20 min straight on the treadmill I almost cried....

I lost my dad ten years ago come Feb 11, and knowing that I now find comfort in one of the things he loved to do up until he got too sick makes me feel connected to him again... its emotional and physically healing for me...
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Years ago I had to when I was a Police Officer and hated it! I have just started the C25K program for me now! I wanted a healthy outdoor activity that I could enjoy as a great form of exercise.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    When I was 40 and had to run for the last train home -at 2am. I realised then how unfit I was and needed to do something serious about it.

So I started running from then.

I am not the fastest, in fact a lot of the time I do a run, walk, run combo - but I can keep going. Have run a couple of 10Ks and a half marathon.

It is great to be able to just put on your running shoes and go out, whenever suits. Much less hassle than having to go to the gym and take all your kit with you etc.
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    It is the only workout I don't mind doing and a great way to get extra calories back! Also, I like the results I get from running. Once I started to run I notice I started to tone which is what kickstarted my commitment to MFP.