I'm getting annoyed with constantly being told this

Options
1235»

Replies

• SusieQ103
    SusieQ103 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have thyroids issues and had a stroke so I can not get out and walk/jog which in the past helped me a lot. HOWEVER, I refuse to give up or give in. I encourage you to do the same. Your journey is YOUR journey. Others serve as guides and encouragers but we have to listen to and know our bodies. I have faith that YOU CAN REACH YOUR GOALS! Keep moving forward. I understand your frustration.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree it is different for everyone. Not just in weight loss but in everything somethings work well for some that doesn't work well for others!!

I totally agree! I keep getting yelled at by all these people saying it's a simple science, eat less than you burn, but it's not that easy for some people! Especially with health issues. So here I am, trying yet again, and I refuse to let my stupid health issues defeat me again.

I disagree. I'm diabetic & also have PCOS so I also had hard time losing weight before. Being insulin resistant sucks the same as having an underactive thyroid. Actually the common denominator for us is that our conditions stall the metabolic function & therefore makes us burn fewer calories. So in your case since you have it therefore you're not really expending much calories as you might think. And if all things being equal (i.e your diet) then what happens is that you still eat more than you burn hence the weight loss stall or weight gain. So in the end, it still boils down to calories in vs. calories out.

However it is not impossible to lose weight & reach our goals. I honestly thought that it was impossible but one thing that I did (I know most women wouldn't like to hear this but this is true) is to incorporate strength training with heavy weights to my workout routine to condition those muscles that will help fire up my metabolism & therefore aids in losing fat.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    it bothers me because it really isn't that simple.

If science were simple, everyone could be a scientist.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    Not sure that's true for me. I'm not even sure I burned 1,000 calories the first week, but I still lost a decent amount of weight. Might have been just water weight from finally drinking enough water, but still. I don't know how one can burn more than they eat. I thought eating around your calorie goal and simply exercising was supposed to help you lose weight...
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    If one eats less than what one burns, one will lose weight.

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

Is this your excuse to not change? Actually most people are pretty normal when it comes to losing body fat unless you have an extreme situation. Even people with Prader-Willi Syndrome which itself makes you put on weight naturally CAN lose weight if caloric balance is in check.
  • SusieQ103
    SusieQ103 Posts: 27
    Options
    I understand the thyroid thing and it's NOT an excuse. It is what it is but..... we can see success! Also, you may try working with a nutirtionist and/or personal trainer. Wishing you the best!
  • aimsteen
    aimsteen Posts: 49
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid nine years ago...I've been on medication since. The science seems to really work for me. If it isn't working, I mean at all, something is being done incorrectly. Make sure you're calculating your BMR, activity level, and maintenance calories correctly so you know you're actually in a deficit...or you know you aren't actually eating too little. Also, invest in a hrm to ensure (somewhat) that you aren't overestimating the calories you burn exercising. Go from there and make adjustments as you need. The science works, but sometimes we don't realize how much human error can flaw it. Hang in there!!

ETA: I read an article recently regarding losing weight with hypothyroidism. The article said many people who have hypothyroidism don't lose as quickly because they are eating too few calories. Don't quote me on this because it's been a while, but I remember the article saying people with hypothyroidism need to consume around 100 extra calories when they're in a deficit. Not exact science, but you may not be eating enough calories. You many want to talk to your doctor....perhaps he or she can offer some advice or refer you to a nutritionist. Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree it is different for everyone. Not just in weight loss but in everything somethings work well for some that doesn't work well for others!!

I totally agree! I keep getting yelled at by all these people saying it's a simple science, eat less than you burn, but it's not that easy for some people! Especially with health issues. So here I am, trying yet again, and I refuse to let my stupid health issues defeat me again.

I disagree. I'm diabetic & also have PCOS so I also had hard time losing weight before. Being insulin resistant sucks the same as having an underactive thyroid. Actually the common denominator for us is that our conditions stall the metabolic function & therefore makes us burn fewer calories. So in your case since you have it therefore you're not really expending much calories as you might think. And if all things being equal (i.e your diet) then what happens is that you still eat more than you burn hence the weight loss stall or weight gain. So in the end, it still boils down to calories in vs. calories out.

However it is not impossible to lose weight & reach our goals. I honestly thought that it was impossible but one thing that I did (I know most women wouldn't like to hear this but this is true) is to incorporate strength training with heavy weights to my workout routine to condition those muscles that will help fire up my metabolism & therefore aids in losing fat.

^^She knows what she's talking about. I also have a thyroid condition, it sucks. It makes you burn less BMR calories than your healthy counterpart, it doesn't defy physics. If you burn more than you take in, you will lose weight, thyroid condition or not. You just have to work harder to burn those calories than someone without a thyroid condition.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    People with issues that prevent weight loss in one form or another are the vast MINORITY.

Advice given with regards to the scientific approach of weight loss (Thermodynamics) applies to the majority of people.

I don't know anyone who has said otherwise.

^^^ This
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is calories in vs. calories out. The key is - we're not measuring the right things.

If an item has 300 calories according to a package, that does NOT mean that YOUR body is going to absorb 300 calories out of it. Some of us are super absorbers and actually break down food better than others. And some of us DON'T absorb as much as others. A perfect example of this is kids with Cystic Fibrosis. Because they end up with a mucus lining in their intestines that blocks their ability to absorb food, they HAVE to eat a ton of calories just to stay alive because they aren't getting 100% of what they eat. In fact, they actual prescribe bile salts & pancreatic enzymes to BOOST absorption for people who aren't absorbing as much as others. This means someone who produces an excess naturally would absorb more than a normal person.

And just because someone SAYS we burn XXX calories per hour being alive does NOT mean that YOUR body burns that. Bodies are designed to take care of certain functions before others. For example - if your body temperature is 97.6 instead of 98.6, you require less energy for a day than someone who is exactly the same height, weight & gender but who's body temperature is 1 degree higher. The very definition of a calorie is how much energy it takes to heat a liter of water 1 degree,

There are other functions which may not be working at 100% (especially for people who are hypothyroid or insulin resistant) that require less to function. This is what metabolism is all about. Just like when your bank account is low, suddenly you skip the name brand and buy generic. You decide maybe you DON'T need to see the dentist this month, or maybe you'll just patch that tire instead of replacing it. You find ways to get by on less - it doesn't mean you're getting the same quality of life (physically or financially), but you're taking care of the essentials.

So while it is true, calories in vs calories out, you have to take into account ALL of the ways in and out. If you're not absorbing something, it's going "out" via pooping, not via sweat or calorie burning.

I think I :heart: you. You've nailed it. And that's why it's all trial and error, too. You have to figure out your own body, how it reacts, and where it's most efficient, etc.

You're brilliant!
  • fattyxoo
    fattyxoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I too have hypothyroidism and find it difficult to lose. My Doc told me it would be very difficult. However, I'm happy just not gaining. It took me a year to lose 12 pounds (counting calories on and off) but exercising regularly. Watching calories and walking treadmill seems to be working for me and I am recommitting myself to MFP. Good luck.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, thyroid problems affect the calories out (what you burn) part of the equation it does not change the truth that you need to burn more than you eat. With thyroid problems it is likely your daily calorie burn is substantially less that the 2000 you mentioned. Hence, those with thyroid problems will likely have to eat less than someone with normal thyroid function. The problem then becomes eating the calories that will allow you to lose weight while still getting the micro-nutrients and macro-nutrients your body needs. This will likely require help from someone with more specific knowledge to make sure of that.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 1190.

So if I have a lazy whole day watching tv on the couch, I know I won't lose any weight if I eat 1200 calories. I don't eat less than 1250 calories a day but I don't eat any more either, even on exercise days.

When I was eating my exercise calories back I plateaued.

I know now that for the rest of my life, I am bound to eat 1250calories per day.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism , but once I started watching my calories, I see I can lose weight. 1 pound at a time. I have no goals of, I want to lose so and so many pounds by this date, I am doing it day by day.
    I love this guys blog! scroll down to excuse. :happy:
    http://www.344pounds.com/page/2/
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Soooo... you ARE eating less than you are burning AND you are losing weight... so it is the same for you?!?!?! What's the problem?

Being Snarky is not necessary here. If she is having a rough time, then she is simply having a rough time. Maybe try being supportive? Just saying.....

Agree! You dont see a whole lot of support on here unless someone posts a pic of themselves with bones sticking out all over. Someone just a little bit ago posted about people acting like this. "Snarky" is a very polite word for it. :) Its very rude, and unless you have a medical problem that makes it even harder to lose weight and be healthy then it already is, you should sit back and be arrogant and ignorant in silence.

I wasn't being snarky, I was pointing out how confusing the OP's statements were... annoyed with constantly being told that to lose weight you need to expend more calories than you consume and that it doesn't work for everyone like her and then post that she only lost 3 pounds... so it does work, by their own admission, just not to their satisfaction.
  • bernieboom1
    Options
    Quote """Is this your excuse to not change? Actually most people are pretty normal when it comes to losing body fat unless you have an extreme situation. Even people with Prader-Willi Syndrome which itself makes you put on weight naturally CAN lose weight if caloric balance is in check."""
    [/quote]

People with Prader-Willi syndrome put on weight because they have an extreme appetite...
  • Scrimples
    Scrimples Posts: 45
    Options
    I was pretty sick of it too, but in the last couple years all those doctors stopped when they realized the extent of my endocrine problems. If you are unfortunate to be screwed up enough they do finally stop those speeches. It is tough to lose weight when your hormones are against you. It is very frustrating and difficult. When health issues come into play you need to add an extra factor into the typical less input + more output = weight loss equation.

I am currently being tested for Cushing's, specifically Cyclical Cushing's, which is extremely rare. This isn't easy to catch either because the random spikes in cortisol production that occur when the disorder is cyclical make it difficult to know when the best time to do all the crazy test sets of blood, urine, and saliva . I have caught plenty of high's in the hormone that causes the cortisol to be overproduced. Anyway, I don't only have difficulty losing weight, but I can gain large amounts of weight in short periods of time while still using diet and exercise. I'm not talking a pound or two, but about 20 lbs in as few as 4 days or 2 weeks or 1 month.

I'm under the care of a naturopath right now who is trying to help me lose weight so that I can relieve the severity of some of my symptoms and when the next weight gain spike hits it isn't so bad. I like this site because it allows me to talk to friends who are losing weight and the recipe calculator and food journal are simple to use. Other than that I'm deferring that actual diet make up to a professional who knows me, my history, and my biochemical disadvantages, because the typical equation doesn't cut it in my case. I didn't plan to ever post here, but I saw your post and it reminded me of my level of frustration a few years ago.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you have hypothyroidism - unfortunately that means you burn fewer calories than most people of the same age/height/weight. It doesn't mean you can violate the laws of thermodynamics. It just means that you need to eat much less to lose weight that a 'typical' person. I would recommend asking your endocrinologist about your diet. Good luck!

That. The math still applies. You just can't use the same estimates as inputs. It's got to suck but it is what it is.
  • ricardo2navarro
    Options
    Calories are just numbers, Focus on the fat, carbohydrate and protein percentage to actually figure out how much you are burning. Eating a 300 calorie salad with chicken is not the same as eating 300 calories of oreos. So what matters is thetype of calories are you burning or keeping.
  • ScientistRuns
    ScientistRuns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on Synthroid? I also have hypothryoidism, and it took me about a year to find the right dose for me. I also work with a Naturopath, as prescription meds alone helped, but didn't completely "fix" me.

WIth Synthroid and some vitamin supplements (iodine, selenium) I find I can lose weight when I get lots of high intensity running in, plus watching my diet. I still gain really quickly if I'm not careful though.