How to stop night eating?

Options

Replies

• debiw931
    debiw931 Posts: 34
    Options
    This has been something I have struggled with for a long time. I tried Cheerios and that worked for awhile and then I started overeating them. Now I have my husband close the kitchen with a plastic chain criss-crossed and baby gate. He also added a sign that says Keep Out. Makes me think twice about crossing it and most nights that's all I need.

I have learned if I am tired this is usually a trigger for me so I try to go to bed before that exhaustion stage although I don't always stay in bed which is another trigger for me to eat. I have been known to eat an entire days worth of calories during this time and truth be told probably more than one days worth. This week I got some tic tacs and that is helping. I take them in the bedroom with me and when I wake up I grab one of them.

I wish I had a magic wand but I think you just need to figure out what works for you by trying different things including some mentioned on this message board.

Good luck!
  • stevean
    stevean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought a SodaStream and only make carbonated water (like Talking Rain brand up here in the PAC NW). It's nothing more than CO2 and a zero calorie fruit essence (orange, lemon/lime, or berry) that has no sugar and even if it did, you use only a couple drops per quart that it would only add a calorie or 2 anyways.

This way it is similar to drinking soda, but it's way better for you, and without all the fake junk.
    At first, it takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few weeks, the "regular" diet soda and sugary soda all taste way too sweet.

HTH-
    (I am in no way connected to the Sodastream company).
  • tempestrising
    Options
    Hi & Great topic!
    Used to work 12 hr shifts and come home around 9pm too hungry to stop myself from raiding the kitchen.
    I quickly put on weight. The only thing that worked for me was to avoid going in there at all at nite.

Even when I would say to myself just one yogurt or a piece of fruit..quickly an oreo or two was added and so on.
    I've learned to eat better meals throughout the day to help with the urges. I stashed a healthy nut mix and fresh fruit in my car so I would eat that on the way home to cancel out any binge. Also drank lots of water.

It was hard at first but soon it became a routine... once I convinced myself
    that anything I would eat when I get home would just add pounds.

Good Luck..it will be trial & error but you'll figure out what works best for you :smile:
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Plan for night eating. Save a bunch of calories so you can eat at night while still moving toward your goals.

... Well, it was a good idea at first, but eating at night just gets absorbed as fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast!
    Thats at least 400 cals you can have right before bed!
    **** that!
    In bed!
    I eat in bed!
    =D

... Well, it was a good idea at first, but eating at night just gets absorbed as fat.

Bull****.

Any macronutrient you eat and go over in TDEE can add to weight gain.
    If you are at a deficit you wont be gaining or absorbing anything.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    My favorite saying and since it hasnt really been said here (not being rude, just really wanted to say it).

DON'T EAT
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier... LOL>>> Actually, I am somewhat serious with this comment. Most of us do not get enough rest.. That is part of the reason the studies show an inverse relationship between hours slept and weight gain. The more hours you sleep, the less you gain... The more you are awake, the more you eat and hence the more you tend to gain... Sleep more; weigh less.

That being said, you can also save some calories for later in the day and eat some fruit, vegetables or even a snack bar at night so that you can feel fuller. Best wishes on your journey.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I work evenings as well and it is hard to adjust your eating schedule when it's completly opposite of everyone else! I get off at midnight and get up at 8am to go work out then try to catch a nap before I have to leave to come back to work at 2:30p. So I try not to eat alot when i get home at midnight. I've found that water, gum, and sugar free popscicles work really well for me! That and I don't really eat "meals" so much anymore. I pretty much eat 6-7 snacks a day. I eat like every hour and a half to two hours while I'm awake and just enough to satisfy me then I'm done until later. Good luck!!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Go to bed earlier... LOL>>> Actually, I am somewhat serious with this comment. Most of us do not get enough rest.. That is part of the reason the studies show an inverse relationship between hours slept and weight gain. The more hours you sleep, the less you gain... The more you are awake, the more you eat and hence the more you tend to gain... Sleep more; weigh less.

That being said, you can also save some calories for later in the day and eat some fruit, vegetables or even a snack bar at night so that you can feel fuller. Best wishes on your journey.

I have to disagree somewhat with your statement, sleeping too long is bad too. You miss out on eating correctly and either have to force eat more to get calories or not have enough which can be unhealthy. You are right though that more sleep is good, it raises your metabolism if you get a good nights rest and long enough to be fully rested.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I have to disagree somewhat with your statement, sleeping too long is bad too. You miss out on eating correctly and either have to force eat more to get calories or not have enough which can be unhealthy. You are right though that more sleep is good, it raises your metabolism if you get a good nights rest and long enough to be fully rested.

Meal frequency has nothing to do with weight loss/gains.
    In fact most people who Intermittent Fast have better results than those who eat 6x a daiyyyyy......day...

Sorry i'm getting light headed...
    All the brozone in here...
  • HelenCate
    HelenCate Posts: 12
    Options
    I like the chewing gum idea!
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    try taking a protein shake before you go to bed. It fills you up and also helps speed up your metabolism in the night.

^ This
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sorry i'm getting light headed...
    All the brozone in here...

lol
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont know what is is but seems to many of us are like this, we can go all day on nothing much and then it hits you at night, the cravings for something really tasty. I get this a fair bit, but what i do now is go have a teaspoon of nutella or peanut butter as thats only one small tsp ans not loads of cookies etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Find something to keep your mind occupied (learn a musical instrument, join a book club, take up knitting) anything that keeps you busy. It's hard to eat and practice modes of the major scale at the same time.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Plan for night eating. Save a bunch of calories so you can eat at night while still moving toward your goals.

huh?

I can't tell if this is just sarcasm, or if you actually meant it.

Do you think your body switches off and stops burning energy through the night?
    does your hair stop growing, your nails stop growing, you stop breathing, stop repairing muscles?

most people's BMR accounts for at least 80% of their calorie burn, and that continues 24/7.
  • libbiepa
    libbiepa Posts: 1
    Options
    Snacking in the middle of the night is not my problem but I've read and researched many different diet programs. From SELF magazine to more hard core fitness magazines like M&F, I've read them all. A common thread among bodybuilders and fitness competitors are eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. They also recommend drinking a protein shake before bed or eating a protein snack like egg whites, or cottage cheese. I've never tried this, but so many people swear by it and say that it helps with creating lean muscle while you sleep as well as helping to keep you asleep. Again, not my problem, but maybe it will help you. Good luck!!
  • pdanko1972
    pdanko1972 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I have the same problem, I started by not buying any junk that I like to eat, so now if i really feel the urge to eat something late I have some 100 calorie packs on hand along with carrots and celery so I can grab a quick snack depending what I am in the mood for. I also look at my food diary for the day and remind how hard I have worked and why screw up a whole day for a snack.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Bull****.

Any macronutrient you eat and go over in TDEE can add to weight gain.
    If you are at a deficit you wont be gaining or absorbing anything.

^^this

plus, you still burn calories while you sleep. i eat at night. i eat any time i'm hungry. i eat 5-6 small meals a day AND I have a spot in my diary for "extras". if you're finding yourself hungry in the evening for a snack and you are TRULY hungry, have a glass of water and eat something small. i generally will have a piece of fruit or a glass of milk before bed. if you have a calorie deficit, you don't have to worry. here's a link i found and if you search there are a few more out there telling you it's fine to eat before bed. now, i don't think our bodies will go into starvation mode that quickly unless you are repeatedly starving yourself and not reaching your calorie goal, but i DO believe your body will burn whatever light snack you have while you sleep so there's no need to worry.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-burn-more-calories-while-sleeping.html
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I also make sure my vitamins are all in check and that I take them every day. You can be tested for vitamin deficiencies with your GP or a nutritionist. I find that on the days that I do take my vitamins (B12, D, Iron, Magnesium, Salmon Oil, Calcium, and Vitamin C (but these wont be the same for everyone)) I operate much more smoothly and have little to no cravings because my body is not begging for the nutrients I needs. :)