Non Dairy People

Options
2»

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have lifted weights in the past but haven't as yet recently. I am trying to build up my lungs after a very bad lung infection. My first thing to do was get the allergy foods out of my diet. Then add exercises such as walking, swimming, and bike riding. But I think adding some weight training may be good. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Natelywills
    Options
    I am SO lactose intolerant, trust me, everyone else finds it pretty intolerable if I even THINK of ice cream! I am a vegetarian so my choices are limited but I eat a lot of veggie cheese, which can have a decent amount of calcium in it. You also get tons from deep green veggies. If you can eat them raw, all the better so Kale, broccoli (my super staple), snap peas, spinach is a good one. Basically anything really green. I also eat a lot of nuts and since I am over 30, I take a good quality calcium supplement. Just make sure you take them about 10 minutes after a really good meal or they can make you queasy. Good luck on your fitness travels!
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy, so like a lot here that is completely out, I do eat a lot of tinned salmon, tuna and green veggies which are full of calcium. I also have a couple of "tums" a day (doctor recommended) for calcium. I'm 53 and have absolutely no calcium deficiencies based on recent medical tests and blood work.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    getting enough sunshine, oily fish or vitamin d fortified foods/supplements is also a key to work in conjunction with calcium for strong bones as well as strengthen the immune system, there have been studies linking flu to lack of vitamin d in winter in the UK

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/03March/Pages/Vitamin-D-and-the-immune-system.aspx
  • perfectstartingnow
    perfectstartingnow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk's True Coconut coconut milk. It's 80 calories for 45% of the RDA of calcium.
  • lulum523
    Options
    Hello! Just started here...I am dairy free and just started a 50/25/25 diet plan...the meal plan calls for skim milk...does anyone have any ideas what I can sub? I usually drink reduced sugar soy milk - it is lower calorie than skim milk but has some fat...do you think it will still be okay for the diet?