9/11/01

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
Please nothing political or they will shut down the thread.

I am saying a prayer for the families of the lost, and for the safety of our country.

Where were you on 9/11?

I was at work, sitting next to a Marine who declared " we are under attack, no one is safe"

Turned out she was right.

TO anyone who lost a loved on in 9/11, My heart goes out to you this day.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I was in class and sure that the world was going to end.

Thanks for posting. It is important to honor those lost today.
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was asleep in my high school psychology class, and woke up just as the first tower fell.

My thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones, and our soldiers fighting in the sandbox.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I was in my college apartment, still sleeping.
    My husband called. "A plane hit a skyscraper in NYC. They think it was on purpose."
    I woke up and quickly turned on the tv.
    I sat in a daze, watching coverage for days straight, from my tiny apartment and from the big screens in my college classrooms.
    No one conducted class. The professors couldn't function any better than we could.
    We all sat and stared. There was nothing we could say.

:brokenheart:
  • kdzmom
    kdzmom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had just returned from Maternity Leave at work from having my 1st child. We were all gathered around the only tv in the office, which was a 6 inch black & white portable tv. I remember seeing the towers fall and thinking I couldn't be seeing it. We left work early that day and I went home to my 6 week old daughter and held her and cried.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I was in my high school history class...my teacher....a retired firefighter...had to leave the room after seeing the second tower fall. He was worried for his fellow firefighters. A student from new york who had jsut moved to our area had to go home becuase his family lived around that part of the city. It was a crushing and horrifying day for many. my prayers go out to all those who lost someone that day and have lost others since because of fighting and war. I know our country is doing the right thing with bringing down those who aided in killing so many innocent.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I was on my way home from work, and heard it on the radio - Howard Stern of all people. Kept thinking that it had to be a gag.

Was home by the time the second plane hit the tower, saw that on TV.

I know none of us will forget that feeling that we all had on that day. Like Bethrs said it did feel like the world was going to end - and in a way it was the end for a lot of things.

I pray for the families of the lost, and I also pray that nothing like that ever happens again, anywhere in the world. I pray for peace for everyone.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was at home watching it all on tv.
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was on my way to the airport for a return flight from Arizona to DC. Of course it was cancelled and the airport was a mad house.

My husband and I just stood there and stared at the screens while at the airport for a good 20 minutes after the first plane hit and then without saying a word we both turned and left the airport. Grabbed a taxi. Went back to the friends house we were staying at and turned on the tv there.

We weren't able to get home for nearly a week but that was no hardship compared to the lives lost and changed by this all.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all touched by this tragedy.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    I was laying on the floor of our local emergency room with an intense migraine wondering why everyone was watching tv. - Then through my fog I understood what was happening. Perspective is a powerful thing!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I was on my way to work listen to Time McGraws set this circus down when a flight attendant friend of mine called to tell me he was ok and I had no clue what he was talking about. I turned on the radio and was stunned to hear what was going on. By the time I got to work the second plane was just about to hit and we all watched the towers fall. :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at my desk and someone told me that a plane had hit the trade center and I turned the radio on to hear of the second plane hitting.....definitely a day that no American will forget....

Praying for all those who lost loved ones...thankful for all of our military, fireman, policeman, etc for all that they did for us that day and everyday.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I was sitting here at work. Somebody netsurfed over to CNN.com or something and got the news, and we all spent the rest of the day just clicking "refresh" and waiting for updates.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I was a freshman in high school-in gym class. I didnt know what it meant when the Vice Principal announced it over the intercom. The class sat in silence the rest of the period. I had a dentist appointment that day and didnt realize the horror until I saw the look on my mom's face when she picked me up. I didnt end up going to my appointment.

Thank you for starting this thread. That day will never be forgotten and I pray for the families of lost loved ones, and those fighting now. :heart:
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was working off my high school tuition at a nursing home, sophmore year. We all stopped what we were doing and watched tv with the residents...still makes my heart drop thinking about it. God Bless :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :heart: Thanks for all the responses.

I was reminded by my son, that in the weeks to come-once the allowed planes overehead......I cried when I heard one. I had forgotten this.:cry:

In going to NY the next year, to prove I was not afraid and show support for the city, I found the ppl to be more open and caring. I was helped by many a NYer to find local places to eat that werent in Frommers.

I had hotdogs with a Brooklyn dude that said he was glad we were there, so many places had closed due to no tourists.

I fell in love with NY that year and go back as much as I can.

I also went to DC and PA......trying to put postive outcomes for a horrendous deed.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i was between jobs and my fiance was up cooking breakfast. i walked into the living room and couldnt figure out what was going on because i saw one of the towers were smoking on tv. i kept saying what is going on? in my grogginess i thought maybe the news was showing a clip to a new bruce willis movie or something. then i saw the second plane coming and i screamed when it hit. when they fell i had an anxiety attack.

i was born in queens and i instantly started calling my family hysterical but couldnt get thru on the phone lines.

watched the coverage for days on end. cried a lot. :brokenheart:

i remember saturday night live still aired (maybe the following week?) and it was an intense and very good show. i bawlled during the monologe. i was proud of them for carrying on in the middle of all the hell that was reality. :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I was in my office at work. Other workers heard what was happening and most of the people here went to the breakroom where we have a tv and watched it in shocked silence. I can still remember the feeling, standing there in disbelief as the first tower fell.

I remember the eerie feeling in the following days as the skys were quiet from air traffic. I remember gathering in the parking lot at work the next day with at least 100 other people from work for a moment of prayer.

That morning changed all of our lives and our nation forever. My thought and prayers are with all the families of those that were lost, all of our service men and women still fighting for our country. Thank you for taking the time to remember as well.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :angry: I am a bit mad now thinking about it............
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I was working, I was 27 at the time, Prime military age. I had 8 (5 were fraternity brothers) friends in the military, and 1 who worked in the North tower (he was on a lower floor and got out luckily), We wheeled out the TV and watched for 3 hours, I just went home after that. Stunned, angry, and frustrated. I talked it over with my wife about joining the military the next day, she finally convinced me not to (to this day I still go back and fourth over that decision).

2 friends have since died in Afghanistan, 1 of them had a little brother that killed himself after, the rest thankfully, have returned home ok except one who stayed in military service and is now it Germany. I salute all of them for their service, and cherish the memories of my fallen friends! I don't speak or think of the often, I can't, I would be angry and sad every day if I did. But I try to think of them every once in a while, and I'll never forget them!
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was just getting to work, from having had the most miserable night because of a bad breakup...

I work for an airline and when I walked in I noticed all of the flight contollers standing in front of the TV. Then I saw a few people crying and I heard a lot of gasps and when I saw the TV it was just after the first plane hit the first tower. It was surreal. I was in a fog. Everyone was saying that it was an accident and that something must have happened to the pilot and so on. It wasn't until the second plane hit that we realized that it this was a purposeful attack on our country! I remember after that I wasn't at all concerned about my stupid love life...everything else seemed so trivial and miniscule compared to what these people were going through. I was so humbled by the courage of the fire personnel, police and medical personnel and the citizens. I am still so very appreciative of our soldiers and their families.

:brokenheart: