Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Wow to everyone's stories. :brokenheart: :flowerforyou:
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i was a sophmore in highschool and my dad was a teacher at that highschool. we always got to school early (like 530 or 6am) and we'd watch the news while just hanging out in the class room. i remember on the drive there we heard about the first plane. we got to the classroom and turned on the tv and saw the replay of the 1st tower getting hit. they thought it was an accident. my dad knew right away that it wasn't . planes just don't fly that low in the city. they know better. and then a few minutes later the second building was hit. i was very naive and didn't understand what was happening. i didn't really get the whole picture until we heard about the plane that hit the pentagon. and then it all really became a tragedy for me when i heard about the people that took down the 4th plane.

i see a lot of tributes going around today and you just forget. you don't realize you forget until you see the videos of the replays. and the worst is when you see the people still INSIDE the burning towers and then you see the people jumping out. it makes me so sad and mad STILL. it's been 8 years now and it still brings me to tears. those were somebody's baby. each person out there that had their life taken away from them and those that sacrificed will forever be remembered as heroes. EACH and every one of them.

i hope that all those families have been able to go on living. not forgetting but still moving on.

my husband is from NY and unfortunately, his cousin's fiance worked up in one of the towers. she was like on the 112th floor or something and didn't have a chance. the plane hit where she was.

please remember and maybe today can be the day we can all give back to the community. do something for someone else in remembrance of those who gave up so much more.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :cry: Reading all these comments is making me cry and I'm at work right now so don't want to cry. :cry:

I woke up that moring to the radio coming on (my alarm) and the first thing I heard was that a plane had flew into one of the twin towers. My first thought was that it wasn't an accident. I ihad to force myself to go to work that morning and

can't finish this
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    :cry: Reading all these comments is making me cry and I'm at work right now so don't want to cry. :cry:

I woke up that moring to the radio coming on (my alarm) and the first thing I heard was that a plane had flew into one of the twin towers. My first thought was that it wasn't an accident. I ihad to force myself to go to work that morning and

can't finish this

I was holding it together until I read your post, MommaRed. Now I'm crying.

I can't really think back too much to what I saw on tv those days. I was in a depression already, and it was compounded by the attacks. I think I cried for 3 days straight. Thinking back to details of what I saw on tv or in details about the personal stories rips open those wounds again, making it feel like it just happened yesterday.

It's my generation's Pearl Harbor.
    It will never be forgotten.
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. Each year, I am shocked that we all don't just shut down for this day. I know that would be "letting the bad guys win," but I feel like shutting down.
    I was working as a radio news reporter in a tiny tiny little town. We ended up pre-empting the local news (who cares about the church bazaar when the country is under attack?), but I did get to go out in the community to get local reactions. So, after spending about an hour in front of the tv, I went around interviewing people and talking about what had happened, and preparing news stories about it.
    More than what we all experienced that day, I will tell you how the event changed my life. On Sept 10, I believed there was no "right" or "wrong," or "good" and "evil," that all people are good at heart and have the same desires/goals, all religions are the same, and everyone's opinion is valid, etc. On Sept 11, I learned that there is most definitely a right and wrong, good and evil, that some people are evil with evil intentions.
    Hope I didn't make this thread too controversial with my opinions.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    On Sept 10, I believed there was no "right" or "wrong," or "good" and "evil," that all people are good at heart and have the same desires/goals, all religions are the same, and everyone's opinion is valid, etc.

On Sept 11, I learned that there is most definitely a right and wrong, good and evil, that some people are evil with evil intentions.

Well said.
    Same lesson learned for me.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

can't finish this

:sad: :flowerforyou:
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    I was waiting at my bus stop for high school.

Also, I love this song:

Darryl Worley - Have You Forgotten

I hear people sayin'. We Don't need this war.
    I say there's some things worth fightin' for.
    What about our freedom, and this piece of ground?
    We didn't get to keep 'em by backin' down.
    They say we don't realize the mess we're gettin' in
    Before you start preachin' let me ask you this my friend.

Chorus
    Have you forgotten, how it felt that day?
    To see your homeland under fire
    And her people blown away
    Have you forgotten, when those towers fell
    We had neighbors still inside goin through a livin hell
    And you say we shouldn't worry bout Bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

You took all the footage off my T.V.
    Said it's too disturbin for you and me
    It'll just breed anger is what the experts say
    If it was up to me I'd show it everyday
    Some say this country just out lookin' for a fight
    Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say right.

Chorus
    Have you forgotten, how it felt that day?
    To see your homeland under fire
    And her people blown away
    Have you forgotten when those towers fell
    We had neighbors still inside goin' through a livin' hell
    And we vow to get the ones behind Bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

I've been there with the soldiers
    Who've gone away to war
    you can bet they remember just what they're fightin' for

Have you forgotten
    All the people killed
    Yes some went down like heroes
    In that Pennsylvania field
    Have you forgotten
    About our Pentagon
    All the loved ones that we lost
    And those left to carry on
    Don't you tell me not to worry 'bout Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. Each year, I am shocked that we all don't just shut down for this day. I know that would be "letting the bad guys win," but I feel like shutting down.
    I was working as a radio news reporter in a tiny tiny little town. We ended up pre-empting the local news (who cares about the church bazaar when the country is under attack?), but I did get to go out in the community to get local reactions. So, after spending about an hour in front of the tv, I went around interviewing people and talking about what had happened, and preparing news stories about it.
    More than what we all experienced that day, I will tell you how the event changed my life. On Sept 10, I believed there was no "right" or "wrong," or "good" and "evil," that all people are good at heart and have the same desires/goals, all religions are the same, and everyone's opinion is valid, etc. On Sept 11, I learned that there is most definitely a right and wrong, good and evil, that some people are evil with evil intentions.

I remember the initial talk of making 9/11 a national holiday but also remember thinking that we were going to get hit over and over again so that 9/11 would be the same as, say, 10/12 or 4/14, or 6/16 or any other day evil would strike. Thank you to our military, our CIA, our FBI and any other covert operation groups out there for protecting us the past eight years.

Thanks Max. I wanted to say something like that, but my words were coming out too harsh, so I just prayed. I a, still quite angry, but glad the powers that be struck a blow to the bullies. If not I do believe we would be singing a different tune.

God Bless our home. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Amen Sister..............A-men:heart:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I was a nanny working on Long Island at the time. I was about to take the toddler I watched to his gymnastics class. I was getting a bag packed and ready to go while he watched PBS. I walked by, saw two buildings on fire and at first wondered why they were showing a movie like that on PBS in the morning....and then realized it was LIVE.

I took him to his class as usual and when I came out, my friend called me and said "Can you believe this??".....and I said "I know, I can't believe they are on fire!!!".............and she said "Tami, they're gone!"....I remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end when I realized that in the time I was in the gymnastics class, the buildings had fallen.

The town and surrounding towns I lived in lost a lot of people. It was one of the commutable suburbs in this area. And you could see the smoke from the town I was in. It was just so surreal! I remember it being this PERFECT September day (weather wise)......and everyone just kind of looking at each other and unsure of what to say. There are just no words.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I was a nanny working on Long Island at the time. I was about to take the toddler I watched to his gymnastics class. I was getting a bag packed and ready to go while he watched PBS. I walked by, saw two buildings on fire and at first wondered why they were showing a movie like that on PBS in the morning....and then realized it was LIVE.

I took him to his class as usual and when I came out, my friend called me and said "Can you believe this??".....and I said "I know, I can't believe they are on fire!!!".............and she said "Tami, they're gone!"....I remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end when I realized that in the time I was in the gymnastics class, the buildings had fallen.

The town and surrounding towns I lived in lost a lot of people. It was one of the commutable suburbs in this area. And you could see the smoke from the town I was in. It was just so surreal! I remember it being this PERFECT September day (weather wise)......and everyone just kind of looking at each other and unsure of what to say. There are just no words.

That must have been horrible. How long had you been there? I know you are from out West, so it must have been hard with family so far away.:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was in a library in Alexandria - my mother is an aerospace engineer who was working at the navy yard in DC that day. I just remember being so worried and asking over and over again how close the navy yard was to the pentagon.

My great-uncle died in the first tower. He was 68 years old, and had finally been able to get out of Cuba 7 months earlier - he'd been trying his entire life. He was a maintenance worker, and with his age and the lack of warning the first tower had, their was no hope for his survival. I'm sad, but I know that he would have loved nothing more than spending his last days as an American citizen, and wouldn't have traded it for 50 more years of life. :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

That must have been horrible. How long had you been there? I know you are from out West, so it must have been hard with family so far away.:flowerforyou:
    It was hard to see....and know that so many in the area were lost. I remember my boss (An attorney in Manhattan)....finally able to get home by about 10 PM from the city....and saying how normally at that time, the train station would have been empty...but it was full of cars when he got in....and he wondered how many were never returning for their vehicle.

I had been in this area since 1997 but had been living out on Long Island for a little more than a year. I ended up losing my job due to 9/11 too. The mom I worked for worked for American Express and the building was across the street and got damaged and there were layoffs...and she was one of them. Luckily she had been working from home that day. But she lost her job and decided to be at home for awhile so they didn't need a nanny anymore.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I was in a library in Alexandria - my mother is an aerospace engineer who was working at the navy yard in DC that day. I just remember being so worried and asking over and over again how close the navy yard was to the pentagon.

My great-uncle died in the first tower. He was 68 years old, and had finally been able to get out of Cuba 7 months earlier - he'd been trying his entire life. He was a maintenance worker, and with his age and the lack of warning the first tower had, their was no hope for his survival. I'm sad, but I know that he would have loved nothing more than spending his last days as an American citizen, and wouldn't have traded it for 50 more years of life. :flowerforyou:

:cry: :brokenheart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

It was hard to see....and know that so many in the area were lost. I remember my boss (An attorney in Manhattan)....finally able to get home by about 10 PM from the city....and saying how normally at that time, the train station would have been empty...but it was full of cars when he got in....and he wondered how many were never returning for their vehicle.

I had been in this area since 1997 but had been living out on Long Island for a little more than a year. I ended up losing my job due to 9/11 too. The mom I worked for worked for American Express and the building was across the street and got damaged and there were layoffs...and she was one of them. Luckily she had been working from home that day. But she lost her job and decided to be at home for awhile so they didn't need a nanny anymore.

That is how far reaching this tragedy was. I think in concentric circles.....when I would lie awake at night, crying and praying for Americas safety, and kept seeing those rescue crews running in...........I would get a jolt and think of the ppl further out who were effected........many jobs were lost.......homes abandoned.

I met a kid whose father was a FDNY who died in the towers. He was only 19 and had been in psych wards since a yr after the loss. He said he was depressed because other kids in school picked on him for being 'rich' cuz their dad's were out of a job due to 9/11 and werent getting any help......but his family got money because dad was a firefighter.

So many sad stories............let us not forget we have brothers and sisters still over there.

God Bless you on this and every other day :flowerforyou:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    me working for American Express in Miami Lakes - my employee's came in in staggered shifts some crying. because they had been watching tv when the second plane flew in the the tower.

being we were in travel all of our clients were stranded, the feeling of being helpless unable to help them get home to their families was awful..

We had an onsite office - for Morgan Stanley in the towers - we lost almost all of our employees that awful day.

2 of my Brother in laws are NYPD - so they were missing for a while thank god they were found alive

We should never forget ...............god bless the families and hero's of that awful day :flowerforyou:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Driving home from work tonight, a radio talk show was playing exerpts from some of G W Bush's speeches from the months after 9/11. They are very inspirational and awe-inspiring. It was nice to hear him saying things like "Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done."

I think I fell in love with him when he said that! :laugh: The above quote comes from a speech he gave on 9/20/01 to a joint session of congress. The entire thing is amazing; you can read it at

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/gwbush911jointsessionspeech.htm