Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My urologist told me that if you have kidney issues that you shouldn't drink that much, because it makes your kidneys work too hard. I do anyway,.. I just always have ever since I did Atkins a decade ago.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    On the "color of your pee" issue - while that works for many, also keep in mind that many of us take vitamins or medications that make our pee look like Mt. Dew, no matter how much water we drink.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    My urologist told me that if you have kidney issues that you shouldn't drink that much, because it makes your kidneys work too hard. I do anyway,.. I just always have ever since I did Atkins a decade ago.

That depends on your Glomerular filtration rate - this rate shows how "good" your kidneys are working... But for normal/healthy people it0s not a problem...

Please people, don't make a mountain out of a molehill - I'm sure - even without counting cups, glasses, whatever - you will notice when you're thirsty...
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

It's a MYTH people.

If YOU believe YOU need more water - or must have 8 glasses (or cups) or think YOU need to drink instead of eat etc, that's fine.

But never tell anyone they *should* have 8 glasses of water a day.

If your Dr gives you this advice ask them what they are basing this advice on and set him/ her straight.

It's been debunked for YEARS.

Get with it.
    Exactly. It's not like your body is comprised of 60% water ...er.. Ok, bad example.

It's not like your brain is comprised of 70% wat... hmm. Ok, another bad example.

It's not you'll die if you don't have enough water for more than 72 hours... oh... hmm.

Ok so, it's not like your body needs water to flash toxins and waste from your sys.... ah *kitten*...

(It's hard being this awesome.)

There is water in everything we eat. The original and WRONG calculations never took this into account - leading to the wrong advice for everyone to drink 8 glasses as the gold standard.

(It's hard educating know it alls)
  • luthage
    luthage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what is the point of this? You need water. You need it to function. Drinking a lot of water isn't a bad thing - unless it's gallons in a short period of time. The 8 cups has always been a baseline for low active people.

It's not how many cups of water you drink, but the colour of your urine. If you’re drinking enough water, your urine will be clear or pale yellow. That's how your body tells you that you are properly hydrated.

I cycle, do hot yoga and kickbox. That's a lot of sweating especially during the summer. If all I do is drink when I'm thirsty, it's not enough. If I drink at least 8 cups and then extra depending on sweat levels, it keeps it clear.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/how-much-water-urine-color-chart_n_1305129.html#s731961&title=Optimal
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what is the point of this? You need water. You need it to function. Drinking a lot of water isn't a bad thing - unless it's gallons in a short period of time. The 8 cups has always been a baseline for low active people.

The point is - the 8 cup baseline is wrong and always has been.

If *you're* more comfortable drinking 8 cups or more - then do it, but forget the idea that we all need 8 glasses every day.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

It's not how many cups of water you drink, but the colour of your urine. If you’re drinking enough water, your urine will be clear or pale yellow. That's how your body tells you that you are properly hydrated.

I cycle, do hot yoga and kickbox. That's a lot of sweating especially during the summer. If all I do is drink when I'm thirsty, it's not enough. If I drink at least 8 cups and then extra depending on sweat levels, it keeps it clear.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/how-much-water-urine-color-chart_n_1305129.html#s731961&title=Optimal

You just repeated exactly what I was saying.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    What the hell's the difference between a cup and a glass? And what size is this cup? And how much are we filling this cup or glass? These are questions that need to be answered! NOW!

A cup is a cup, as in 8 oz

What they said! ^ ^
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    There is water in everything we eat. The original and WRONG calculations never took this into account - leading to the wrong advice for everyone to drink 8 glasses as the gold standard.

True. You know what they call someone who only consumes water from food? ...Dead. :wink:

(Those who claim to know everything, truly annoy those of us that really do. :laugh: )

Who here said you should only consume water from food, or depend on food for water? Did you even read the entire thread?
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    What the hell's the difference between a cup and a glass? And what size is this cup? And how much are we filling this cup or glass? These are questions that need to be answered! NOW!

^ THIS. It's so arbitrary. I guess those from the US assume cups as in the emasurement, but for everyone else in the world where cups are not used (because come on, what a useless form of measurement...) it's nonsense.
    I mean, 'glasses' in our house range from little 150ml tumblers to pint glasses!
    I tend to just ahve a pint glass or water around and sip throughout the day, I probably drink mroe than I need because it helps to stop me feeling so hungry when mealtime approaches.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I guess those from the US assume cups as in the emasurement, but for everyone else in the world where cups are not used (because come on, what a useless form of measurement...) it's nonsense.
    Wait. Are you saying there are other people in the world, besides us Americans? When the f**k did this happen? ;)

haha :D so what am I? extraterrestrial? *lol*
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

Is that like "setting your doctor straight"?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I probably drink 10 or 12 cups of water a day. I only drink when I'm thirsty though.
    And I have noticed if I have a couple diet sodas during the day I won't reach for water at all afterwards.. so no more sodas.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    (because come on, what a useless form of measurement...)

Kind of like a "pint"
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My uerologist told me while I was going through bladder therapy that everyone is different. She told me to check out the toilet after I pee. (Sorry for the graphic.) If its dark, I need to drink more...if its clear I need to lay off a little bit. She told me to shoot for a pale yellow.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your activity and somewhat on climate. You don't want to get dehydrated and stay that way for long. With guys the solution is easy. Yellow urine means you need to drink something.
  • donaldyoung
    Options
    The drinking of water is to help you feel full. If you feel full you will eat less. I have been told this by several healthcare people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not "2 girls, one cup"......................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    "Dr. Oz is way more credible than the Mayo Clinic."

:noway:

Dr. Oz is a cardiac surgeon and a TV personality.

I'll stick to my own doctor's advice before I believe him. Also, the Mayo Clinic is way more respected than Dr. Oz.. I was treated at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Scottsdale, AZ for heat stroke symptoms AND dehydration.