8 Glasses of Water Myth

Options

Replies

• Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I think the best is to stop drinking at all... After 3 days I won't have to deal with that issue anymore ^^

Maybe it's a new way of natural selection (Darvin's out) - to drink or not to drink....

Was such a good input but somehow people can be stubborn like hell :D Have a wonderful evening everyone...
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options

Dr. Oz is way more credible than the Mayo Clinic.

:noway:

Dr. Oz is a cardiac surgeon and a TV personality.

I'll stick to my own doctor's advice before I believe him. Also, the Mayo Clinic is way more respected than Dr. Oz.
    Plus, they have "mayo" in the name. Which is second only to "bacon." If there is ever a Bacon Clinic, I will believe anything they ever say, ever.

I like how you see that! :laugh:
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks a TON of water a day. Seriously constantly. He's always thirsty.

I drink practically nothing all day. I'll have two-three cups of coffee in the morning, and then maybe a couple glasses of water at night, and that's it. And it's all I need.

I recommend judging by your urine. Pale yellow = good. A few glasses a day is all I need to maintain that.

I do think the water thing helps some people to avoid sodas, etc., though.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I drink about 4-6 16.9oz bottles of water daily, works for me.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My uerologist told me while I was going through bladder therapy that everyone is different. She told me to check out the toilet after I pee. (Sorry for the graphic.) If its dark, I need to drink more...if its clear I need to lay off a little bit. She told me to shoot for a pale yellow.
    Mine looks like red wine. I should probably have that checked out.

Hmmmmm.... I better make a doc appointment too....
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    It would be pretty difficult to overdose on WATER! LOL :noway:

I know how much I need to drink to stay hydrated. They can keep their study.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options

(It's hard educating know it alls)

Is that like "setting your doctor straight"?
    Haha.

"Who do you think you are? Sure, you went to medical school. And sure, there is literally a ton of scientific evidence, 1000's of publications and an entire medical community affirming this fact. ...But I have Google, and I found a blog that sorta agrees with my baseless opinion on stuff, sorta."

I love the Inter Nets.

Oh, thank you for the good laugh! You hit that nail on the head!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If it's not a myth that people often mistake thirst for hunger, staying extra hydrated can't possibly be a bad thing.
  • tdcibilly
    tdcibilly Posts: 78
    Options
    i drink about 3 to 4 ltr a day
    i stopped tea and coffee and fizzy drinks.
    i feel great
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    It would be pretty difficult to overdose on WATER! LOL :noway:

I know how much I need to drink to stay hydrated. They can keep their study.
    Really, you've never heard of water intoxication?
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My uerologist told me while I was going through bladder therapy that everyone is different. She told me to check out the toilet after I pee. (Sorry for the graphic.) If its dark, I need to drink more...if its clear I need to lay off a little bit. She told me to shoot for a pale yellow.
    Mine looks like red wine. I should probably have that checked out.

Hmmmmm.... I better make a doc appointment too....

Or bottle and sell it?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my water to balance out my fibre. As a (doctor) friend on mfp put it: fibre with no water can be like concrete :P

Just one more factor to take into consideration...
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I had a fizzy type drink yesterday, first time in quite a while.

My stomach hated me last night so I've decided I'll stick with water.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's a myth, but you drink more?
    ABSURD!
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am working with my doctor to get healthier. He wants me to drink 1/2 my body weight of water (ounces) per day. He also discussed dehydration with me and as many of you have stated you can gauge if you are dehydrated by the color of your urine. So 8 glasses of water a day just does not cut it for me. I am using a 24 oz cup and fill it at least 3 to 4 times a day. I am working on filling it 4 to 5 times a day on a regular basis.
  • retrozippy
    Options
    A cup refers to the exact measurement of 8 ounces. A glass is just whatever you choose to drink from, regardless of size. So a 16 ounce bottle of water equals 2 cups.
  • sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just so you know you can drown yourself by drinking too much water.

Here's just one article (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill) but there are many. Most cases of water intoxication leading to death are in the case of endurance athletes. You need to drink A LOT of water in a very short period of time to be at risk for this. Most people, even working out regularly and drinking plenty of water will never be at risk for water intoxication. Certainly not by drinking 8-10 glasses over the course of a day.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I drink my 8 cups of water because i am the type that sweats a lot!! especially when exercising!! so 8 cups won't be enough for me usually i drink up to 12 cups a day just to stay hydrated
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just so you know you can drown yourself by drinking too much water.

You have to drink a heck of a lot in a very short period of time in order for water to be toxic. I drink about a gallon of water a day. Especially in this heat, you need extra water, especially if you're spending any time outside.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    There is water in everything we eat. The original and WRONG calculations never took this into account - leading to the wrong advice for everyone to drink 8 glasses as the gold standard.

(It's hard educating know it alls)
    True. You know what they call someone who only consumes water from food? ...Dead. :wink:

(Those who claim to know everything, truly annoy those of us that really do. :laugh: )

I *almost* felt like I wasted 10 minutes of my life until I read your posts. Thankfully the humor redeemed what would have otherwise been lost time.