I found an easier way to lose weight

Options

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I wanted to talk about the carbs too but you already did it quite well;)
    Carbohydrate is horrible for your health. It is a commonmisconception that it is needed for energy. However, if you have a diet very low carb and high fat, then your body turns to ketosis. Ketosisis when the body burns fat for energy. You will lose weight quickly, and many many other health aspects will improve. There is so much research out there if you know where to look.

"Where to look" for medical research is not someone's blog. It's also not PubMed, unless you have a whole lot of free time to read through hundreds upon hundreds of pages of scietific research and peer review analysis. Because if you don't read it all, or if you are not capable of understanding the compicated medical language, you are not getting the whole picture.

Carbohydrates are not horrible for health. It's extremely difficult to maintain health without fruits and vegetables, and they have carbohydrates. And there is plenty of scientific evidence that minimally processed whole grains improve health.

Your best bet to learn about nutrition is to listen to the recommendations of those in the field of nutrition science, as they do have the time and knowledge to read and understand all the studies. And they are not a mission to sell books or specific diets.

If you want to follow a Paleo, Primal or whatever diet, that is your choice, but don't spout nonsense like "carbohydrates are horrible for your health". How can you expect to be taken seriously when you say something like that?
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Bump!! Right on!
    It' NOT an easier way for people to lose weight who like to actually eat foods that are CULTURALLY high in carbs, fat and sugar. Unless this is an eating plan you want to stick with the REST OF YOUR LIFE, then the weight loss may be just temporary. Introducing any sugar or carbs back into the diet would more than likely also increase weight.
    Easiest way to lose weight is to eat a way you can do the rest of your life at a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Deserves to be repeated.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Michael Phelps has been reported to eat as much as 12,000 calories per day to match the 50 miles he swims per week during training. It is more than calories that count – getting enough complex carbohydrates from sources such as grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables help give athletes the energy they need during strenuous activity.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/07/do-calories-count-for-olympians/

Again, the proof is there for all to see, if we care to look for it;) denise
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Right on!
    It' NOT an easier way for people to lose weight who like to actually eat foods that are CULTURALLY high in carbs, fat and sugar. Unless this is an eating plan you want to stick with the REST OF YOUR LIFE, then the weight loss may be just temporary. Introducing any sugar or carbs back into the diet would more than likely also increase weight.
    Easiest way to lose weight is to eat a way you can do the rest of your life at a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Deserves to be repeated.

As someone who has battle with her weight on and off for at least 35 years I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. I have tried pretty much every kind of restrictive diet known to mankind - none of which were sustainable and all of which lead to regaining the weight I had lost and then more.

This time (and it will be the last time) I am following a balanced diet which I know I can maintain forever, I am just doing it at a calorie deficit until I get to my weight goal. Nothing will change when I get there, I will just increase calories until I am maintaining rather than losing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps has been reported to eat as much as 12,000 calories per day to match the 50 miles he swims per week during training. It is more than calories that count – getting enough complex carbohydrates from sources such as grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables help give athletes the energy they need during strenuous activity.

I'm not disagreeing, or arguing, but I will say that I believe we can get all the energy we need for workouts without grains. (No, I don't eat low carb, I just don't digest grains well).
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost the most weight I had ever lost in my life doing low carb dieting. Sixty pounds or so in three months.

I also had the least energy, felt nauseated half the time, had cramps that were BEYOND BELIEF all over my body at night. This despite taking calcium and potassium supplements.

I found it expensive and unsustainable, to boot. At my height, I get about 2500 cals a day when I work out. That's a lot of lean meats!

Eventually, my budget and the sleepless nights of agony got to me. My doc also said I was having severe low electrolyte problems, which can lead to heart attack. I stopped, and started eating normally again.

The weight went pouring back on at a SHOCKING rate. It made me sad panda. I often wish I could do low carb, but it felt so dreadful physically I will never try it again, no matter how tempted I am by my endless weeks of no-loss.

I'm jealous of those who find this eating style sustainable. I know it's dreadfully effective.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    They should just put you on a cereal box . . . you're gorgeous. Some cereals are so good for you too, especially if you're planning to become a mother anytime too, can protect babies against Spina bifida and spare protein needed for tissue building of the fetus. Enjoy your cereal !

Ruth
    oh i love my cereal too much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I lost the most weight I had ever lost in my life doing low carb dieting. Sixty pounds or so in three months.

I also had the least energy, felt nauseated half the time, had cramps that were BEYOND BELIEF all over my body at night. This despite taking calcium and potassium supplements.

I found it expensive and unsustainable, to boot. At my height, I get about 2500 cals a day when I work out. That's a lot of lean meats!

Eventually, my budget and the sleepless nights of agony got to me. My doc also said I was having severe low electrolyte problems, which can lead to heart attack. I stopped, and started eating normally again.

The weight went pouring back on at a SHOCKING rate. It made me sad panda. I often wish I could do low carb, but it felt so dreadful physically I will never try it again, no matter how tempted I am by my endless weeks of no-loss.

I'm jealous of those who find this eating style sustainable. I know it's dreadfully effective.

When you say you started "eating normally" again and that caused the weight to pour back on, what do you mean by "eating normally"? It's only logical that if you went back to eating as you were when you gained weight that you'd gain weight again. Surely there is a happy medium where you lose weight healthily while including healthy carbs in your diet.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That is always dependent on food allergies or certain, health conditions. It's more of a comment about Michael Phelps than trying to give advice to anyone. Just thought some would be interested in it:) denise

I'm not disagreeing, or arguing, but I will say that I believe we can get all the energy we need for workouts without grains. (No, I don't eat low carb, I just don't digest grains well).
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    I think I am going to start this, too! Cutting down my carn intake to 100 for now, may gradually go down lower once I get used to it!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I think the biggest enemy of healthy weight-loss(and I do mean excess body fat)is impatience. Please people, take the time to read the success stories of women and men that have gone before you. We always want a shortcut, that is why so many of us support "drug pushers". These "get skinny quick" commercials and infomercials are nothing but lies, or at best, lies by omission. Read some horror stories about people that fell for these cons because they just wanted to look better and feel better. They thought it all sounded and looked so good:( MFP promotes health while getting our bodies into height-weight proportionate and generally, great shape! Anyone who has reached their goal the healthy way is my hero and I am following the winners.
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lost about 180 totally worthless lbs in 2mins when I got rid of my ex.

LOL!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've started the 100g carb thing this week and it's going pretty well. The only trouble is I am finding it hard to reach my 1200 cals without going over on the fat. Trying to keep to low fat meats (turkey, chicken) and mixing that in with a fair bit of quorn/meat free stuff but still struggling. See on here that some of you seem to be eating quite high fat - my mfp is set at 100g carb, 100g protein which gives 40g fat - can I get away with more fat?

5' tall
    doing 1200 cals and not eating back exercise cals (was doing 1600 reset prior)

Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks

You don't seem to be going over your fat. Some do well on higher fat with low carb while others end up eating too much and stall. You could eat more fat and see how you go.

Re. Cholesterol/triglycerides etc this is something else that either improves or worsens on a low carb diet.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I began watching carbs about 3 weeks ago and it broke my plateau and I have lost 8 pounds! I figured out that the carbs were making me feel bloated and left me still feeling hungry even after eating a full meal! Now I keep the carbs between 70-100 and I feel fabulous and the weight is coming off!! I have found it is hard to keep the cals where I need them so I eat as much high cal low carb food as possible! I am not trying to starve myself...I need to eat to fuel but the carbs just make me feel awful. This may not be the way for everyone just like someone else's way may not be for me....we will all find something that works for us.
    P.S....I have never been a bread or pasta person so this isn't a huge lifestyle change for me....so I won't miss it and I can stick to it!
    Now if I want something really bad but I know it is high carb I will have it....just in moderation.
    I hope everyone finds what works for them.....we all deserve to be happy with the way we look and feel.
    :heart:
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The primal/paleo/lower carb - whatever you want to call it -is not a con nor a shortcut (many people posting here have said it is too hard or requires too much discipline so they don't see it as a shortcut.) so I don't understand your purpose in posting this here. And, guess what? People who have been successful limiting carbs post frequently on MFP and I do indeed find them inspiring. I think whatever works for you is fantastic but negating other people's choices - successful choices - repeatedly...just not onboard with that.

Not directed at this poster but to some other comments: primal encourages vegetables and moderate amounts of fruit. 70% of my diet comes from plants. Don't get it confused with very low carb diets like Atkins. :-)
    I think the biggest enemy of healthy weight-loss(and I do mean excess body fat)is impatience. Please people, take the time to read the success stories of women and men that have gone before you. We always want a shortcut, that is why so many of us support "drug pushers". These "get skinny quick" commercials and infomercials are nothing but lies, or at best, lies by omission. Read some horror stories about people that fell for these cons because they just wanted to look better and feel better. They thought it all sounded and looked so good:( MFP promotes health while getting our bodies into height-weight proportionate and generally, great shape! Anyone who has reached their goal the healthy way is my hero and I am following the winners.
  • Skinny_Curves
    Options
    Bump
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You eat all that fatty meat and protein and your blood work will skyrocket. Your body needs carbs! The Good kind from fruits and veggies

I have been on the 80/10/10 for almost 8 weeks. I use to be a big meat eater the lowfat meats. I was finding that is was not working for weight loss or how i felt physically. Siince I have been doing Low Fat Raw Vegan I have lost another 5 lbs of Fat not muscle. I have more enegry then every before. I can go longer and harder and recover faster. I thought i was at the top of my game but i am finding there is more ladder to climb

Can you give me some tips b/c this is what i think i should aim for.
  • mom2scc
    mom2scc Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The simplest way to describe Paleo is eating foods as close to their natural state as possible. If it came off the carcass of an animal, was picked from a plant or was pulled out the ground then you're getting pretty close. A Paleo diet tends to be on the low carb side as there is not a huge amount of carbs in those types of food.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!