Opinions on spot corrections in the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I remember trying a new weight routine (from a book I had bought) and it required me to do deadlifts. I read the proper form and watched a few videos, turns out I was still doing it wrong. Thankfully, a young lady (who does body building competitions) helped me with form, she asked me first if I was ok with being helped, and insisted it was only because she would "hate to see me have permanent back injuries from trying to get fit"

I have never once been offended by someone trying to help me improve form, I have only ever been grateful. If people don't want the help on form when they clearly need it, they probably aren't all that serious about working out.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i don't know if pf has staff trainers wandering around on the gym floor (typically my gym does but usually they are doing 1:1 sessions with members) but if they do, maybe you could casually mention to one of the trainers that you're concerned about -->that member's form...that way it becomes the trainer's role to offer some advice.

this is from personal experience, really. i've had my form corrected by fellow gym-goers and from trainers, and i much prefer hearing it from someone who was hired likely because they took a course or have some official credentials in fitness.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best idea is to just leave them alone. But if it's really bothering you, offer them a spot. I bet a few of them even have the "Darn, I wish I had a spotter" face for like 2 mins before they finally attempt their set. During the lift you can say something to guide them, just like you would with your normal workout partner. "Keep your butt on the bench!" or "Keep your head up and back straight!". Then, after the set is over and they thank you, casually say something along the lines of, "you know what works for me is to ______" or "how I keep from hurting my back on these is to ______" and turn to walk away while telling them you're available if they need another spot.

FYI, this basic 5 step approach will pretty much work for any situation in life as long as you approach with the right attitude.