Has anyone lost a lot of weight doing yoga?

Options
13»

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

That video says it all. The man's transformation makes me cry.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for toning, agility, and strength. Weight loss is in the kitchen.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

That video says it all. The man's transformation makes me cry.

Absolutely loved this video and I cried too!! He never gave up!
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I do 90 minutes of vinyasa yoga at least 3 times a week, it's a fast paced yoga and it gets my heart rate going and I work up a sweat. It's my main form of fitness. So yeah, yoga combined with a clean & mindful diet has definitely contributed to my weight loss success.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    BUT LOSING A LOT OF WEIGHT IS GOING TO COME FROM YOUR DIET. Not from cardio, not from yoga, not from lifting. It all starts and ends at the kitchen table. Get your intake right, and then you can pick whatever physical activity you want to sculpt your body.
    Amen

I would agree with this and it has been my finding for myself.

What Yoga did for me was to change my previously poor self image and self respect to the point where I could look after myself better - it helped me to regain my self-worth.

Now, my Yoga is a daily motivation to build strength and lose weight so that I can progress to more advanced poses.

So - yes, in way, Yoga helped me to lose weight.
  • AlexysW
    AlexysW Posts: 1
    Options
    I've done cardio and strength training more than anything else. The good thing about it is that I feel so good afterwards and love that I sweat,BUT... I have broken both wrists in the past and my hips are messed up badly along with my tailbone being broken before too. And the cardio and strength training really hit me hard. I love that I feel sore but I cant do push ups like I used to or run for very long. I have 30lbs left to lose and am doing my best to still incorporate cardio and strength training but its so hard when all it does it hurt me!! So I bike ride,walk,yoga,pilates,and some cardio and strength training along with a healthy diet. I've seen some great changes and feel amazing!! Even if it doesn't get my heart pumping. But thats just the way my body is,since everyone is different I don't know how it will affect you. It never hurts to try :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I take the 80/20 rule, which is that 80% of your body shape is from the kitchen and 20% from the gym! Exercise helps weight loss but really it is down to what you do or don't put in your mouth that makes the most fundamental changes.
    Cardio is going to burn more calories than strength training, but then strength training is going to create more muscle that burns more calories - just do what you enjoy and make it sustainable!
  • oli_via1598
    Options
    People who say that cardio and weights are really ALL you need to be thin and fit obviously have ONLY really done cardio and weights as their primary exercise.
    Yoga is so appealing because it makes you feel good and healthy right?
    I was at my lightest and slimmest weight/figure when I was doing SOLELY yoga.
    I woke up, had a cup of tea and went to do yoga for at least 30 minutes. Then before bed again for 45 minutes. .Every day without fail.
    I hated gyms and running, so I turned to yoga.
    As a result, paired with cutting out all meat/eggs/denatured or refined foods, yoga slimmed me down soo much.
    Yoga destresses which means your body will produce less cortisol, a chemical that is essential to make energy from proteins, but stress causes TOO high levels, which in turn can slow down cell regeneration, impair digestion, metabolism and mental function and weaken your immune system.
    Yoga makes you more aware in everything you do from your posture, to your daily breathing. So you will also begin to really notice what you eat.
    Yoga doesnt shorten or strain muscles like running and weights does, so you wont get cramps (well, at least not later on) or stiff neck/back etc.
    If you do several sun salutations quickly, you get a good cardio boost first up and then you can also take Vinyasa (or other yoga) classes.

So yes, it is possible. Don't feel like your not doing anything at all if you turn to yoga because it seriously does work.
    Also, try not to overthink it and just do it. Remove any ideas you have about fitness and counting all your calories etc.
    It is a slow weight loss, but you don't bulk, you will be super tight and toned, slim and feel light like a feather after a couple months of religious practice. Plus, you will be so much more flexible.
    Make sure that your diet is also light and mostly plant based and eat slowly and smaller meals.
    I found it was easier to do this than to worry about counting calories and macros etc, but to rather just eat when I was actually in NEED of food.

good luck.
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yoga is awesome and I have, for a FACT lost weight doing it....I think over all the most IMPORTANT thing is to find some variable. You can't just do ONE thing and be healthy...but fitness is about feeling good, so find what works for you, make your OWN routine and stick to it.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight no matter what you do, as long as you burn more calories than what you have consumed.

But for overall fitness, you need strength-training (for muscles and bones, for strength), cardio (for heart and lung) and flexibility stuff like Yoga.

My initial loss - about 10 pounds - was all Pilates. Then I started adding on lots of other stuff to complete the pic.
  • monychic
    monychic Posts: 1
    Options
    I have started doing just 20 minutes of yoga in the morning (yogadownload.com has lots of free 20 minute workouts) in addition to Neila Ray free workouts http://neilarey.com/workouts.html . I have also significantly decreased my portions and have been going out to eat less. I have lost 25 pounds in 5 months. I was in shape before..ran half marathons, did boot camp, etc but just couldn't get that last bit off. I have found that if I start with yoga in the morning then I actually feel like doing another workout after and am more energized for the day. I'm also drinking a lot more water in the morning. I have noticed the biggest difference in my abs.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    GIF-Yoga-Cat.gif
  • brittanygv
    brittanygv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to see the list of videos you do for Yoga and Pilates. These are my main forms of exercise and I am looking to incorporate more in to my week.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! Crazy cat :)