I Thought my Diary was great today...but....

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    You had coffee for breakfast, cheese and crackers for lunch and a potato and veggies for dinner. 19 g of protein? You need to eat more food. Maybe less starchy? Will bloat you less?

This and also you have less than 20 pounds to lose so put your weight loss at 0.5 pound a week
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    How can I eat more when I actually feel bloated from food?... i'm definitely not trying to starve myself here, I'm trying to find a way to 'budget' calories better I guess, hoping for suggestions. Healthy eating is new to me.
    Things like nuts/nut butters, avocados, cheese and olive oil are great ways to sneak in some fairly calorie dense and healthy foods into your diet.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Maybe have SOME breakfast instead of none. Have LUNCH instead of a snack. Eat a WHOLE baked potato not half and add some protein.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    why are your water calories minus calories?

I've heard that the body has to burn calories to warm up ice water...so i ran with it...probably bogus though

It does BUT not to the point that you can deduct it. It's like your body burns calories by just breathing but you wouldn't deduct that. That's why they tell you to eat 500 below your TDEE or BMR. I understand the concept but don't practice it myself. What drinking ice water does is help to jump start your metab. because your body has to work to warm it up to your body temp. So drinking it all day will help keep your metab running all day.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    You had coffee for breakfast, cheese and crackers for lunch and a potato and veggies for dinner. 19 g of protein? You need to eat more food. Maybe less starchy? Will bloat you less?

I don't really eat set 'meals' more I snack all day, so really, I had coffee, cheese, crackers and fruit when I got up this morning... i do see the need for more protein though, I'm working at it :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member

I don't really eat set 'meals' more I snack all day, but, yes, I do see the need for more protein. Working on it :)

It's all just a matter of planning, for me. If I plan ahead, I can get through the day in my calorie range with my macros met and feel like I've succeeded. If I wing it, which does happen sometimes, usually something is askew. It is a learning process, though, so take it easy and don't be scared to adjust or ask questions if you need to.
  • nikinyx6
    Thanks for all the great advice guys, no one in my 'real world' gives a damn about health, and the internet is full of crap, so it's hard for me to start on the right path here...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    We're full of crap too :)

My problem (personally) with your diary is not one day, it's the trend of eating about 1000 calories that you've set for yourself. Your calorie goal is not a maximum - It's a goal to shoot for exactly. Your deficit is already figured in for you (and 1200 calories is very low for most people). Going under your goal by 400 calories doesn't earn you extra points, it doesn't make you lose weight faster; in fact your weight loss may slow down because of this. Eating 700 calories today is going to make as much difference as eating 2500 calories would. That is to say, about none. But when you look at your overall trend, you are simply undereating. And you are fairly active. That's not a good combination.
  • nikinyx6
    We're full of crap too :)

My problem (personally) with your diary is not one day, it's the trend of eating about 1000 calories that you've set for yourself. Your calorie goal is not a maximum - It's a goal to shoot for exactly. Your deficit is already figured in for you (and 1200 calories is very low for most people). Going under your goal by 400 calories doesn't earn you extra points, it doesn't make you lose weight faster; in fact your weight loss may slow down because of this. Eating 700 calories today is going to make as much difference as eating 2500 calories would. That is to say, about none. But when you look at your overall trend, you are simply undereating. And you are fairly active. That's not a good combination.

I see what you mean. I just have trouble planning ahead, and having good things around me to eat. Ongoing battle, that I will somehow win
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    I don't really eat set 'meals' more I snack all day, so really, I had coffee, cheese, crackers and fruit when I got up this morning... i do see the need for more protein though, I'm working at it :)
    [/quote]
    You may really want to try to eat set meals, at set times. Eating, good and bad, like most things, is a habit. There is an article on BodyBuilding.com called obese on 700 calories. Not that you're obese! But a very interesting read, none the less. Here's the addy if you're interested: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484

why are your water calories minus calories?

I've heard that the body has to burn calories to warm up ice water...so i ran with it...probably bogus though

. . . dude.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    never mind the carbs, you've got 116g of protein left!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    was today typical? Looking back a few days I think your diary isn't too bad. One day isn't going to set you back.

Have a glass of milk - that'll help with your protein shortfall too.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Can I ask how tall you are bc you look relatively slim already and is your goal weight realistic?
  • nikinyx6
    Can I ask how tall you are bc you look relatively slim already and is your goal weight realistic?
    I'm only 5"2...I thought it was realistic :)
  • nikinyx6
    was today typical? Looking back a few days I think your diary isn't too bad. One day isn't going to set you back.

Have a glass of milk - that'll help with your protein shortfall too.

Today is not really a typical day, today I tried to do better, more fruit and veggies, less 'other junk' , and it doesn't seem to be working for me...
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    [/quote]Today is not really a typical day, today I tried to do better, more fruit and veggies, less 'other junk' , and it doesn't seem to be working for me...
    [/quote]
    It may just be the fruit and veggies have you feeling bloated...and that sometimes feels the same as full.

It's obviously a personal choice, but I do see a lot of processed food choices...bologna, apple jacks cereal, things like that. Thinkgs like chicken (or moose :) ) and oatmeal would help you get your macros looking better.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Yoa are not eating enogh protein and calcium
    have bigger portions of meat and start eating yogurts, drink more milk ect.
    protein and calcium is something you want to be over or close to max every day
    protein and strenght training prevent muscle lose and calcium is necessary for strong dense bones
  • nikinyx6
    Yoa are not eating enogh protein and calcium
    have bigger portions of meat and start eating yogurts, drink more milk ect.
    protein and calcium is something you want to be over or close to max every day
    protein and strenght training prevent muscle lose and calcium is necessary for strong dense bones

Grocery list adjusted accordingly, thanks :)
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    A couple suggestions to consider:

Keep healthy snacks at work or nearby to snack on (low sugar protein bars, carrots, berries, fruit, string cheese).
    EAT BREAKFAST! A quick one is fat-free Greek yogurt. Huge boost to your protein without a lot of extra calories.
    If you're an all day snacker, make sure your snacks contain a healthy dose of protein. Peanut butter with apples is great. A handful of almonds, cheese and fruit.

Seriously, don't UNDER eat so much. Your body needs a base amount of calories just to function, and it doesn't appear you're getting enough. It might not seem like it now, but you're doing more damage than good. Keep drinking water, eat regularly (even if its snacking), and make sure you hit your goals.

Good luck!