Runners - How often do you run?

Options
124»

Replies

• kathyrazz
    kathyrazz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    6x per week. I'm currently training for my very first half marathon (woot!)...in the fall I'll cut back to 5x/week.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started running and I'm running 3x a week. As a beginner, I'm proud of that. I'm doing about 1.5 miles and I'm working my way up slowly. I have fibromyalgia and RA so I'm really freaking proud of being able to run that!

That's awesome! You have every right to be proud!

I'm a beginner, too. Just finished Week 3 of the Couch to 5K again. (I'm doing each week twice. I have asthma, hypertension, and pre-diabetes so I want to make sure my body is really ready for the next step before I try it.) For now, I'm run/walking 3 x a week, doing elliptical 3 x a week (off days), and some added weight training. I take Sunday off completely.

Since I'm goal-oriented, I am shooting for three races over the next nine months: a 5k this fall, a 10k this spring, and a half-marathon next fall. I may or may not get there, but I thought I'd give it a shot to see what happens. :smile:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I typically do it about 3-4 times a week. Usually a mile or two 3 times a week and then a long one towards the end of the week.
    Doing a 5k today!
  • barbielovesgym
    Options
    I run 7 days a week.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I recently picked up running again so I run 3-4 days a week. I log anywhere from 3-4 miles during each run.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

If you are just starting, you should probably start a running plan. Like couch to 5k. Active.com has training programs for free and there are some apps that you can dowload on your phone.

I made the mistake of starting to run, knowing nothing about it, ran everyday with 1-2 days off a week and no plan, I got up to running 7 miles and ended up injured twice for weeks. That's worse than taking a day off for a runner. I am fina;lly healed fully.

I am now doing the Honda CRV Beginners Half Marathon Training plan from active.com and it has helped me in a major way, I am finally injury free and know how to build my speed, distance and stamina, by sticking to my plan. It mixes things up a bit as well, so you aren't just running.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week.
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Monday - 6
    Wednesday - 7
    Saturday or Sunday - 6, 8, 10, 12 15 or 20 (depending on where in my marathon training schedule I am)
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for 3-4 times per week.
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried to get in 2 miles in everyday I work out ( 4 to 6 times a week). Some days I run more (6.25 is my longest so far). I am doing a 366 mile challenge for 2012 (aka a mile a day). Only 19 more miles to go :)
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    4 times per week:

M, W, F - 10-12 km
    Sa - 15-20 km
    Wow. Maybe it's just because I'm a newbie runner (4 weeks now, loving it) but this is pretty impressive.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    At four weeks, I was doing 5 km four times a week. You'll get there, just take your time to build up and don't get injured. Better to go slow than to log lots of k's. It takes your joints, ligaments, etc. a lot longer to get hardened up than it does for your cardiovascular system to adjust.

I have been running for just over a year, so I'm full of advice.
    4 times per week:

M, W, F - 10-12 km
    Sa - 15-20 km
    Wow. Maybe it's just because I'm a newbie runner (4 weeks now, loving it) but this is pretty impressive.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Nontraining schedule is typically 4 days a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 4-6 miles each day (depends on how late I get up in the morning). Saturday is my "long" run day and usually run atleast 7-8 miles sometimes more.

When I start marathon training in a few weeks it will change.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do 2 runs and if my work pattern is ok try to get in more but if the weather is bad then I take the easy way out
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent c25k grad obsessed with overachieving. I run every single chance I get, but average around 25-30 miles a week. I am thinking I need to have more rest days and run a max 5 times a week.