Giving up diet fizzy drinks???

Options
Hi I am stuck in a major rut at the moment & was wondering how have people cut out their fizzy diet drinks??

Sadly I do drink a lot of this

Replies

• MamaAlora
    MamaAlora Posts: 6
    Options
    Sodas are my absolute worst weakness. My most successful method has been cold turkey, allowing an occasional (like once every two weeks or so) drink, if we go out to eat. In terms of sticking with it, I just train myself to sip water every time I have a craving. It certainly doesn't satisfy that fizzy sugary desire, but it fills me enough to not want it anymore. Plus I get to feel good about not giving in!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What do you like about them? Maybe seltzer would be a good replacement if it's the bubbles you like. Or tea, if you want caffeine.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    First day of attempting! I"m hoping that will help with eradicating some of my cravings!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Maybe just cut down? and maybe don't keep them in the house, so if you want one you have to walk to the shop for it. maybe allow yourself one a day to start with as a treat if you've done OK otherwise. then maybe one a week if you really need to cut down that far. I drink diet coke maybe 3-4 times a week, usually from a drive thru but rarely keep such things in the house. I like it and I feel like there are worse things, so in moderation I feel it's OK for me to have those few treats in a week. Also as I very rarely drink alcohol, I figure diet coke is a lesser evil so if I go out for a meal, better to have 3-4 diet cokes than 3-4 glasses of wine or beer. It's probably not the best thing to drink, but I'm not perfect so that's what I do.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would never give up my diet soda.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My addiction as well.. I drink 5-10 cans a day! I tell myself I should cut down.. :/
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    i would never give up my diet soda.

I'm with you.
  • azcout
    azcout Posts: 13
    Options
    Dr. Pepper was my drink of choice. Love(d) it. Now about 13 weeks without it and have really stopped thinking about it for the most part. I was actually handed a can over the weekend. I took one swig and instantly thought no way can I go back to this. Threw it in the trash.

Give yourself a little time. It is amazing how quickly you can learn new habits.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I drink them on occasion. Try diluting it with water, so you drink less, until your body doesn't want it/ need it anymore.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    so what's the big deal with diet fizzy drinks? 0 calories, but lots of crap in them I know. I've heard in the past they are bad but never been convinced. wondering for those of you who have stopped what difference you noticed. I still drink 3-4/day 12oz cans/day myself.
  • itskaraxx
    itskaraxx Posts: 46
    Options
    I went cold turkey with mine. The day I started my diet I completely cut sodas out.
    I will say it is HARD. I drank at least 2-3 cans a day. You WILL get caffeine headaches and they are BRUTAL. They make you irritable, tired, etc. It took me about 4 days to finally get through the caffeine withdrawal stage. After that it is so much easier and you feel a ton better. I strictly drink water now, a green tea once in a while. You just need the willpower to cut soda!

Just have a nice cold glass of water next to you, and whenever you feel the need to go grab a can take a nice gulp of water. It should quench the thirst and perhaps even get rid of the desire for a soda.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    I gave them up cold turkey!!! Now i am drinking green tea and water after a few weeks you will crave water. Good thing since we need to drink 64oz a day!!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just quit drinking them one day (years ago). I don't miss them. I feel so much better. My digestion is better.

I drink only water, skim milk, and decaf unsweet tea these days. I'm good with those.

You can do this!!! The first couple of days are the worst. After that, you'll be fine!
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    so what's the big deal with diet fizzy drinks? 0 calories, but lots of crap in them I know. I've heard in the past they are bad but never been convinced. wondering for those of you who have stopped what difference you noticed. I still drink 3-4/day 12oz cans/day myself.

I dont have that sluggish feeling after drinking tea or water that diet pop was giving me but i didnt even notice it until i gave it up! I have so much more energy since giving up pop!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've lost 310 lbs. drinking 2-3 Diet Pepsi's a day along with 120+ oz. of Water..... Won't be giving up my Diet Pepsi anytime soon but if you feel you need to then good luck with that.....
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I've tried to limit myself to 2 per week as a treat (usually on Friday or Saturday nights!).
    Try drinking more water, or eating gum (gum and pop does not go well! haha)

Good Luck!
  • ycbrewster
    ycbrewster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's how I've had the best success, too. Not giving up completely, but cutting back. I still treat myself, I just make better "other" choices to offset that day. Just have to be honest about the "amount", I have found that is the key to my success. I measure everything. I've still managed to lose 20 pounds...not too bad. And that is with the sugary, non-diet sodas...
  • jstoneWI
    jstoneWI Posts: 8
    Options
    A few years back i switched from regular pop to diet pop and I don't feel like it did much for me. Then last October I went from drinking nearly 5 cans of pop a day to perhaps 1-3 20oz bottles a week. I don't put much stock in the pop thing doing much for you unless your drinking it all the time.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey with mine. The day I started my diet I completely cut sodas out.
    I will say it is HARD. I drank at least 2-3 cans a day. You WILL get caffeine headaches and they are BRUTAL. They make you irritable, tired, etc. It took me about 4 days to finally get through the caffeine withdrawal stage. After that it is so much easier and you feel a ton better. I strictly drink water now, a green tea once in a while. You just need the willpower to cut soda!

Just have a nice cold glass of water next to you, and whenever you feel the need to go grab a can take a nice gulp of water. It should quench the thirst and perhaps even get rid of the desire for a soda.

I gave them up cold turkey, but I still drink [black, unsweetened] coffee so no caffeine withdrawal headaches. I do drink carbonated water. It takes a while to break the habit - particularly of ordering it at restaurants, where I now stick to water - but I lost 5lb by giving up diet soda, before making any other changes.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    When I want one, I try to think of how much it costs and then decide to instead add that money to the 'new wardrobe fund!'.