Giving up diet fizzy drinks???

Options

Replies

• peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your response. If it had .1% arsenic I'm pretty sure I'm dead. I'm saying the non-water content might be small but powerful. For sure the soda companies don't want us to stop. Making changes little by little in my life and maybe I'll try this one for awhile and see what happens. I don't buy the ones with caffeine in them so at least there is no withdrawal for me in that regard.

I like the iced tea with some fruit juice idea.. but then you get the caffeine with that again. hmmmm
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your response. If it had .1% arsenic I'm pretty sure I'm dead. I'm saying the non-water content might be small but powerful. For sure the soda companies don't want us to stop. Making changes little by little in my life and maybe I'll try this one for awhile and see what happens. I don't buy the ones with caffeine in them so at least there is no withdrawal for me in that regard.

I like the iced tea with some fruit juice idea.. but then you get the caffeine with that again. hmmmm

I didn't read the post about the arsenic response, and I'm not sure if diet sodas pertain to this, but there was actually a study done on some fruit juices (particularly apple juice) by Dr. Mehmet Oz where he found juices that had arsenic above the legal limit of allowed arsenic in water. Apparently the legal limit is for water only, and not any other type of drink, so they're trying to bring it to the governments attention in order to get a legal limit set for juices, etc. It's not going to kill you because it's still tiny amounts that are in these drinks, but they did find cases where there were some mutations in cell structure, causing cancer, etc. Google it, and I'm sure you can find the study. I read it on MSN and saw it mentioned on CNN.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I don't. lol. I stick to my calorie counting diet well, and i've already lost 22 pounds in the past few months. and i drink tons and tons of diet soda. its my weakness. i love it. i figure, if i'm on a diet, i might as well sip on something with no calories i enjoy. i don't think diet soda is really that big of a deal, like a lot of people like to say it is. yes, it may make you crave food easier. but if you can over come that, i don't see the problem. of course, there are healthier things to drink. but its all a bout moderation. if you like it, i wouldn't cut it out completely. maybe just cut down on a couple cans of soda per day.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I drink caffeine free diet code everyday. 1-2 cans. I used to drink...probably 5, but I cut down. Besides the small amount of sodium they have, I'm not sure /what's/ in them that's so bad for you, but I wouldn't cut out soda completely. Not at all. Just moderate.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite, but once I started drinking more and more water, pop just doesn't taste good anymore, which is great. Even one pop a day for me for a week = at least 3 lbs. I will drink one or part of one once in a while, but not like I used to. When I first started drinking more water, I still craved pop, but the more I got used to it and went w/o it, it just got easier. It's a hard one though, good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    This topic reminded me of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKG07305CBs
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have been proven to be healthy for the general public for a variety of different reasons, some of which having already been mentioned. One of the biggest problems with diet sodas are that they allow people to continue other bad habits because they are drinking diet soda. A good example of this is the guy (or gal) who buys a burger and fries at McDonalds and ops for the diet coke to be healthy. They soak up close to 1000 calories of crap and think that a soda makes it ok. Most people on MFP are probably not in that situation, but studies have shown that diet soda drinkers gained more weight and were generally more unhealthy than people who drank regular pop over time.

My doctor told me that she would rather that I drink one regular soda per day than 2-3 diet sodas. It's also been shown that the sweetener in diet drinks has a negative effect on insulin levels and can make your diabetes worse. Myself personally, I lose more weight when I avoid diet soda. I drink water with flavor packets (or plain water) and feel great. I will say that if I drink a regular coke or pepsi now, it tastes great and gets me all sorts of wired, but I've decided that it is one of the sacrifices that I am willing to make.
  • MichelleLee73
    Options
    Hi I am stuck in a major rut at the moment & was wondering how have people cut out their fizzy diet drinks??

Sadly I do drink a lot of this

I had a major Diet Dr. Pepper addiction goin on for years! When I wanted to try and cut down, I made a deal with myself. I can have ONE can after every liter of water that I drank. It worked out that I only got a soda about twice a day,. Usually lunch and dinner. If I wanted more, I had to drink another liter of water. So no matter how many sodas I tried to drink, I had to pound the water in order to get it and I was hydrating myself in between. The next thing I knew, I started losing interest in it all together. Now I'm a huge water drinker... I even find myself ordering it in restaurants, which I used to never understand restaurant water drinkers, but now I get it. First off, its a money saver whether you're at home or eating out, and most importantly, once your body becomes accustomed to being hydrated, other drinks do not seem to satisfy it. You WILL start to CRAVE water! I am amazed now how dehydrated I must have been all the time and the havoc that must have been wreaking on my body inside. If I can do it, anyone can. Now if I could just keep food under control..... lol
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I find I feel better/do better without any type of fizzy drink. For one thing, it's hard to find one I like because the sugar substitute leaves a bad aftertaste. But even though it is diet, they do still carry A LOT of sodium, so they still make me feel like poo. I've been off sodas ever since a week or so into my diet change. Now, I don't even crave them, and when I attempt to drink one, the fizziness is too much for me. Water does wonders for your body and makes you feel a lot better. And another thing, you can't even count sodas (even diet) towards your daily water intake because of all the extra ingredients. So you'd be drinking that on top of your eight cups of water a day. Talk about bloated! This is just me, I feel that it's better for me to give up soda all together. So far, it's paid off!

Side note: when my father was diagnosed with diabetes, he dropped the sodas and went straight to drinking water like a fish. So far, he's lost about 23 pounds just with that lifestyle change ALONE! Plus, the artificial sweeteners make your body crave calories since there are no calories to accompany the sweet taste. So there really is nothing "diet" about it. That's just my opinion with the research studies I've read!

Actually, most diet sodas have little sodium and many have no sodium. When they were primarily sweetened with sodium saccarine they had a lot of sodium, but now, not so much. If you don't like the fizziness, that's great for you, but many people really like the fizziness, and it's really just impure water. "Pure" water, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist. Water is a nearly universal solvent, so any you encounter has stuff dissolved in it. Soda, juice, milk, coffee, tea, and everything else that is just impure water, plus the water in your food--and food is 60% - 80% water--counts toward your daily water intake. This is firmly established in medical science. Everything gets mixed up after you consume it, and that it's mixed before makes no difference what-so-ever. You don't need water on top of the diet soda. Really. Don't believe me, believe the Mayo Clinic.

"Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total."

"So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day."

"Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

I've actually read this study. But speaking from a personal point of view, I get more hydrated by drinking water than I do from any type of other drink. And yes, diet sodas do contain a lot of sodium compared with other drinks. It may not be a lot from a daily intake perspective, but compared to teas and water of course, yes it does...for a drink.

On the other hand, your body needs that eight cups of water a day just to be sure you have enough to spare. There was a period of time where I didn't drink but one glass of something during the day, and trust me...it wasn't water. No, I wasn't dehydrated, and I didn't die, but from a physiology prosepctive, I wasn't getting enough for my body, even from my food. The truth is, personally, you don't know how much water you consume through foods anyway. You can't measure it. Another way you can tell is if your urine comes out clear. That means you actually have excess water in your system, therefore you can afford to release some. That only happens if you drink water. Not sodas, not teas, not even by eating fruits, which are mostly water. I think the eight cups a day is more of a "just in case" thing. Your body can absorb it better without all of the sugars and caffienes that most other drinks contain.

You are mistaken. Clear urine will occur if you are hydrated, regardless of what you drink or how you get the water. For all practical purposes, "pure water" doesn't exist. Your bias as to which impurities your water has are just that--biases. "Excess water in your system?" WTF is that supposed to mean? Water goes in and out, all day every day, pee is just easier to see. You sweat it out and you breathe it out, just as you pee it out. If your pee is clear to straw yellow, you are hydrated, no matter HOW the water got in your system. As to how much you get from food? Usually about 20%. The Mayo Clinic is a recognized medical source. You are not. Either give me a BETTER source than the Mayo Clinic that says what you are asserting, or admit it's just your, inexpert, opinion.

And I have a pretty good idea how much water is in food. I camp with dehydrated food. A 1.25 cup serving of most entrees is made with one cup of water--that means the food, before dehydrating, was 80% water. That, in itself, was an eye opener for me.
  • MichelleLee73
    Options
    Oh, and reading through these posts, its amazing to me that people are actually defending soft drinks, Anything that can eat through metal or concrete or ANYTHING that contains Aspartame cannot be defended as okay for the human body....puhlease!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I never drank diet, just the regular stuff, mostly mountain dew, but one day i realized that it didn't even really taste good anymore, i was just drinking it because it was there, and i switched to water. now, i have a soda occasionally, but when i do, i usually drink maybe half and throw the rest out because it just doesn't satisfy my thirst. We still keep some in the house for when guests come over, but i'm not even tempted by it anymore.
  • mburger84
    mburger84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    try exchanging for sparkling water with flavor. La Croix has some good ones, and theyre canned. I too love the carbonation, plus its filling. : ) good luck.
  • goaliema
    goaliema Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Okay..this topic just made my mouth water like a kid eating sour candies...lol

I gave up diet pepsi in Feb, 2011.(all pop for that matter) I had many attempts of trying to kick the habit. My son would dump it on me...and my daughter would come home from school and say to me during the supper chat... "during announcements today..they said sugar treats are not good for you all the time...like pop mom!!" and when ordering a coffee at the drive thru with half sugar....I would hear.. it again!.. So after hearing this day in and day out from the mouth of my babes...I stopped cold turkey..and I was the Diet pepsi Queen!!! If I could do it...anyone can! I did drink coffee so I didn't suffer as bad with the headaches.

There are days when..I do think.. Oh man.. I ***NEED*** a diet pepsi. but then I ask myself.. how bad do you really want it...can you function without it? Some days it is tough..but you can get through it! I did!! For me..I think..one sip would lead to another..and another...then I would be buying it again!... Nope....no way am I going down that road again! I have saved money..especially when out at the kids sporting functions when I used to pop in change into the machine to snag a cold one for the game! And..less sugar and other stuff in my body!

All the best to you...you can do it!

Goaliema

***now can I give up coffee..lol
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink diet.I drank the real thing. I have not had one in over a year.

I just made up my mind that I wasn't going to drink anymore and went cold turkey. When you make the decision NOT to do it, it's easier...well, it is for me....If I say, Oh I'll just limit it or drink in moderation.....I can't do it...too easy to start drinking (eating) and then just give in and give in and give in.......when I made up my mind, it just stopped being an option. That is how I have to conisider things....its just NOT an option anymore......(works sometimes, sometimes not).

Good luck!!
  • FitLink
    Options
    Oh, and reading through these posts, its amazing to me that people are actually defending soft drinks, Anything that can eat through metal or concrete or ANYTHING that contains Aspartame cannot be defended as okay for the human body....puhlease!

Care to provide expert sources, or are we to assume you are an expert? If so, what are your credentials?

Tomatoes can also eat through metals and concrete, etc, as can oranges, and pretty much any citrus fruits. They are all, like soda, acidic. Less acidic than the inside of you stomach though. Can we assume digestive juices are also bad for you? Please provide some actual evidence, rather than scare tactics.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm with ya. I know those artifical sweetners are just chemicals, I know they still raise my insulin levels and make me crave sugar and store fat. But they just seem like a free sweet treat. I supose it really is true that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you can't have your cake and eat it too.

My mom-in-law once gave me a bunch of cases of sparkling mineral water and I would guzzle that by the bottle, maybe with some lemon in it. When I had those around I wasn't interested in the diet pop, so I think that's what I'm going to start buying instead of diet pop. Give it a try. It doesnt even have to be Perrier to San Pelagrino, get sme cheapy soda water and pop some lemon juice in there.
  • FitLink
    Options
    try exchanging for sparkling water with flavor. La Croix has some good ones, and theyre canned. I too love the carbonation, plus its filling. : ) good luck.

Of course, it's the carbonation that makes soda acidic, so I assume it's the sweetener you object to?
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and sweet tea 11 months ago and don't miss it at all. Now it's water or Crystal Light.
  • tinabinatina
    tinabinatina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut soda out very slowly as I did with junk food. I then switched to crystal light and slowly cut that out and only drink water. When I do have a taste for a sweet drink I have a small glass of 100% juice or crystal light. I hope this helps you!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Care to provide expert sources, or are we to assume you are an expert? If so, what are your credentials?

Tomatoes can also eat through metals and concrete, etc, as can oranges, and pretty much any citrus fruits. They are all, like soda, acidic. Less acidic than the inside of you stomach though. Can we assume digestive juices are also bad for you? Please provide some actual evidence, rather than scare tactics.

Arg. Anyone who is reading current material on nutrition and health has read several studies that show how asparatame has negative health consequences and raises insulin levels (causing fat storage and sugar cravings among other things). As "pedestrians" of science we're not always writing down our sources for future reference, but reputable health magazines quote studies form universities etc. I don't let the results of a study into my memory until I've deamed it to be of a reputable source.

I do accept your point that there are other acidic foods out there that are good for us, but acid content is not the only con of soda. That reminds me, more studies have been done on the carsonogenic effects of the caramel colour in cola as well.