Guys; Who cleans in your house?

Options
vade43113
vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
Is it a co-op, or a solo job for you or your wife? And does your SO, appreciates the work you do to keep your house clean?

I only ask, cause I am the only one that cleans here, and it appears no one takes any notice. In fact they just come right on though and mess up everything again..... :? I am not a perfect neat freak, but everything is off the ground and/or put away.

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'll answer this one, we do 50/50. And I LOVE when he cleans, he does such a better job than I do lol. I'm very laid back.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    My wife and i own a home, and we both share the cleaning duties. I'm domesticated so i can pretty much do everything else (laundry, clean bathroom, mop floors etc) as well.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just me.....everyone else is severely allergic. Something fall on the floor? Everyone is suddenly blind. Left a dish on a table or bedroom? It will magically find it's way to the kitchen to be washed. I'm the fairyfreakinggodmother of cleaning, lol
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're asking the internet? Ok you're going to get a whole range of answers!

No two couples are the same, and there is no right or wrong way. Communication is key - understanding that not everyone has the same ideas about "tidy" or "clean".

In my house, I understand that my husband likes things tidy (ie out of the way) , while I like things handy. So for instance I might want to keep the reusable shopping bags near the front door. He sees those as messy.

We discuss it, respect each other's point of view, and come up with an acceptable solution

(in this case, we have a nice looking storage box by the door where the reusable bags live)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i help out a lot around the house...sometimes i will get home from work, play/take care of my son until bed to give my wife a break, and then clean after he is asleep.

and no, I don't always feel appreciated for my efforts.
  • kingkong247
    kingkong247 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maid! :smile:
  • mazasmusings
    mazasmusings Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been married a year and I'll admit that she does most of the cleaning. I clean the bathroom and do the heavier stuff that requires more upper body strength, like moving things or scrubbing the kitchen floor, which I did this past weekend and without air conditioning, it proved to be quite a workout!
    However, while she does the majority of the cleaning, I almost exclusively cook. I'm good at it and love to do it and my wife, well neither of those statements really apply.
    She also takes care of the household finances because she just has a better organizational mind than I do, but I deal with the landlord, fix stuff that needs to be fixed, take care of the cars, etc..
    So overall, while she does more cleaning, I think we do an adequate job of splitting responsibilities evenly. A lot of it also has to do with our strengths and knowledge, ie. she knows how to balance a checkbook, I know how to fix the brakes on her car. Both important tasks, but require far different skillsets.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do the cleaning and husband does the 'tidying' I have trouble organizing and neatening things up, so I do dishes or laundry, he puts them away, I vaccuum, mop, wipe, scrub, he puts everything away in its proper place.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I clean the Kitchen, Downstairs bathroom, Weight Room, Bar, Man Cave, Kitchen. Wife cleans the Master Bedroom, Living Room and Dining Room (all upstairs).

I cook and we share dishwashing duties as needed. She does her laundry. I do mine.

I mow and do the outside heavy lifting. She pulls weeds and diredts me on proper pruining of foliage.

We have a pretty fair division of chores. It's always been that way.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I'll answer anyway :tongue: I do all of the cleaning as I am not working right now and my husband provides financially. That being said, If I ask him to do something (ex. not put wet towels on the floor) he doesn't have a problem with that and will try his best to remember what I had asked. Previously when we were both working, the housework was pretty much split down the middle although he did the cooking as he enjoys that.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would say I maybe do about 80% of the hosehold chores. Dear hubby takes care of the lawn and the garbage/recycling. Anything else from him is kind of gravy so when it happens I let him know just how grateful I am for the help.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I know, it is just something to break from the normal, self-hating, stuff we find here
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I know, it is just something to break from the normal, self-hating, stuff we find here

how dare you?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I clean my apartment myself. I need to keep it spotless for any girl I bring over, so I can impress her enough to move in. then she can start cleaning it for me. :P
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Just me.....everyone else is severely allergic. Something fall on the floor? Everyone is suddenly blind. Left a dish on a table or bedroom? It will magically find it's way to the kitchen to be washed. I'm the fairyfreakinggodmother of cleaning, lol

god this sounds like my house!
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I work from home and during my breaks I get the dishes done, kitchen cleaned, laundry, and prep for dinner. My boyfriend is in school till noon and will clean up but has to be asked to typically. Haha.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I pay a cleaning lady to come now every 2 weeks. This way I don't have to be resentful when my husband does not help me. With a full time job, 2 dogs and an 11 year old daughter, I am much happier this way :)
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Both of us.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    50/50 -- I'm not a maid.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I clean the Kitchen, Downstairs bathroom, Weight Room, Bar, Man Cave, Kitchen. Wife cleans the Master Bedroom, Living Room and Dining Room (all upstairs).

I cook and we share dishwashing duties as needed. She does her laundry. I do mine.

I mow and do the outside heavy lifting. She pulls weeds and diredts me on proper pruining of foliage.

We have a pretty fair division of chores. It's always been that way.

You are awesome :)