Friends or no Friends?

Options
13»

Replies

• Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I introduced this site to my co-worker...Thank GOD she doesn't want to be my friend LOL! She only uses it to track her calories. PHEWWWWWWWW hahahahahahaha
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm very selective with my friends. I feel that a certain few people will be a support system...and will help me remain accountable. It's easy to lie to myself, it's harder to lie to someone I don't want to feel ashamed around.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't friend any real life friends or family members. They judge enough without knowing every detail of my food choices and exercise habits....why give them fuel for the fire?

Same here. What happens on mfp stays on mfp.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give it out.. I find it's people at work who try to drag me down more than my friends and family.
    My loved ones want me to be healthy. People at work want me to be less healthy than they are.
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Personally, I find it good having 'friends' on here, for motivation and such, but I wouldn't add actual friends as I find it hard enough to support my own healthy lifestyle, let alone help someone else that I know. My wife is trying to lose weight as well, however she is not as motivated as me and I always feel guilty when I'm losing weight and she isn't.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No one from my real life is or ever will be my friend on here with the exception of my SO.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i have worked at my job for 20 years and I know I cannot count on them for support. I wouldnt tell them.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I dont have any of my "life" friends on here - i meet people in forums who seem to be similar minded and i find it helpful.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have my MFP support group and I love them all! I don't need anything more than that to get me through.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All the friends I have on here are friends I have met on here. I have either come across them thru other comments or other friends and we have similar goals, up and downs, eating habits and exercise routines. I refuse to have co-workers on here as friends (as is the same with facebook) this is my personal space - I don't want them any where even close to this space.

I have also come to realize I am a stress eater and sometimes those work people are the cause of my stress so i don't want them around all the time! Somedays I need my MFP people to get me thru the weakness of the Lay's potato chip calling after a bad day with those people :laugh:
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of you here. I have made some good motivational "mfp" friends and prefer strangers over people I actually know. I'm doing it for myself and it's just easier. When people you see in your everyday life are "aware" you are doing something to better your health sometimes they comment or say things (in real life) that aren't encouraging and I don't need that! lol . . . If I eat a cookie I'm NOT a failure, I "earned" it and have logged it in my diary and am in balance with my net calories. lol
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    I don't care to have people "watching" me here AND in my everyday life; that would just get a little overwhelming. But that's just me. :)
    That is it. Exactly.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Depends. I have 1 real life friend on my friends list and the others are people I have met on MFP. What will probably happen (b/c this happened to me) is that the people you work with will sign up and probably be active for a couple of weeks. Then, all except 1 or 2 will stop b/c the newness will have worn off and they won't want to put in the hard work. When that happens, just delete them. That's what happened to me and why I only have 1 real life friend on my friends list now.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    2 of my closest friends are on MFP, but I'm not friends with them on here. They have similar goals (to maintain), mine are very different (to lose, a lot). I very much need the support of my MFP friends, but my real life friends just don't understand some of the struggles.