Does it really matter if sugar, carbs etc, is over ?

Options
Hi,

I'm always going over my sugers and carbs! Like 30 or more!

If I stay around a few points of the recomended amout will I lose faster???

Or is it all the same... Cals in Cals out?

Need help figuring it out!

Replies

• DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I was wondering this too...
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is an argument that has gone on for a long time... It is hard to deny that calories do not have something to do with the equation, but it is likely its not quite as simple as that... I do think its important for folks to find ways to get there carbs back a bit... I struggled with this, and got so good at not eating carbs, that now I'm struggling to get them back into my diet!

Eating lots of meat, veggies...cutting out sugars, maybe replace with some stevia (like in coffee and such)... You should be able to get that count down. Eat more fats in place of the sugar! Fat is not a bad thing!
  • bluefairy88
    Options
    People who get their calories from eating chocolate and sweets obviously gain more weight than those getting their calories from veggies. So, yeah, cutting on sugars and carbs does matter. Besides, it's not just about the weight loss, it's healthier not to binge on sweets and pastry.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I never watched carbs or sugar and still lost 40lb
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i'm struggling with the getting the sugar down, and the protein up. My fiber is over, but as far as I'm concerned that is okay because fiber is good for you.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

If you eat your daily maintenance calories and then eat 500 calories of chocolate or 500 calories of fruit every day for a week (roughly), you'll gain a pound.

What carbs/fats/proteins do is dictate body composition.
  • Raffa3000
    Raffa3000 Posts: 2
    Options
    The real issue here is sensitivity. With carbohydrates more than the other macros (Fat, Protein), the individual sensitivity in terms of insulin response varies quite a bit. The most effective approach to carb consumption is determining where YOU sit on the spectrum of sensitivity.

Unfortunately, this is a very unique balance point, and no two body chemistries are the same, so advice as to specific intake is often misleading. So long as you recognize that fact, you can certainly play with this often misunderstood macro to get the results you're looking for.

If you think I missed the point of the thread, just replace the word carb with sugar and read again.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my carbs at all. I don't eat junk (well, not much), or sweets, and I'm still losing weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

If you eat your daily maintenance calories and then eat 500 calories of chocolate or 500 calories of fruit every day for a week (roughly), you'll gain a pound.

^ This.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This annoys me too, I go over my sugar EVERY single day, even when I don't have sweets. Like if I have an apple and 1 tbsp of peanut butter then that's it for the day, i'm screwed. I never thought about it affecting my weight loss but I DO think about it giving me diabetes! Aaaahh!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    To be honest, in terms of weightloss, I think it doesn't matter THAT MUCH.

I don't really pay attention to my sugar, carbs etc, and still lose weight. However, I have noticed that, if I eat a lot of 'junk' in a week, sometimes, I won't lose. That, and my belly gets bloated.

When I eat better, I seem to lose.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    An apple a day isn't going to give you diabetes, neither is two apples, or two apples and a banana, or two apples, a banana, and a bunch of grapes. Most type 2 diabetes is a direct result of obesity. There are some normal weight people who develop diabetes due to genetics or other factors, but they're relatively rare.

I've been a type 2 diabetic for 10 years or so, I eat whatever fruit I want, and my blood sugar levels are excellent.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The real issue here is sensitivity. With carbohydrates more than the other macros (Fat, Protein), the individual sensitivity in terms of insulin response varies quite a bit. The most effective approach to carb consumption is determining where YOU sit on the spectrum of sensitivity.

Unfortunately, this is a very unique balance point, and no two body chemistries are the same, so advice as to specific intake is often misleading. So long as you recognize that fact, you can certainly play with this often misunderstood macro to get the results you're looking for.

If you think I missed the point of the thread, just replace the word carb with sugar and read again.

THIS EXACTLY!!!

I exercised like crazy and followed the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, and barely managed to lose 7 pounds. I cut my carbs down to 100g NET and have lost 14.6 pounds in 8.5 weeks. Seems clear to me that my body doesn't like too many carbs...
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

THIS EXACTLY!!!

I exercised like crazy and followed the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, and barely managed to lose 7 pounds. I cut my carbs down to 100g NET and have lost 14.6 pounds in 8.5 weeks. Seems clear to me that my body doesn't like too many carbs...

Netting such low carbs is quite a change from being a "carb fattie."

Most of that weight is probably excess water that your body got rid of since there wasn't as much carb to soak it up.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

THIS EXACTLY!!!

Netting such low carbs is quite a change from being a "carb fattie."

Most of that weight is probably excess water that your body got rid of since there wasn't as much carb to soak it up.

so you're trying to tell me that I have lost almost 15 lbs of WATER?! I don't think so... I will concede that the first 5 lbs after I cut carbs *might* have been water, but you will NOT convince me that I have lost mostly water for the last 8 weeks.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

^ This.

I agree. But I'd say the macros also effect general health and satiety.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A Calorie is most certainly a calorie...

An automobile is an automobile... some of them are for racing, some are grocery getters, some are for towing...

A plant is a plant... some of them you can eat... some of them you can't, some of them can kill you...

It is valid to view a calorie as a calorie... But in terms of body composition, health, satiety, longevity, muscle gain, fat loss... The type of calorie is going to be relevant. If you view a calorie as a calorie you are selling yourself short.
  • Raffa3000
    Raffa3000 Posts: 2
    Options
    A Calorie is most certainly a calorie...

An automobile is an automobile... some of them are for racing, some are grocery getters, some are for towing...

A plant is a plant... some of them you can eat... some of them you can't, some of them can kill you...

It is valid to view a calorie as a calorie... But in terms of body composition, health, satiety, longevity, muscle gain, fat loss... The type of calorie is going to be relevant. If you view a calorie as a calorie you are selling yourself short.

This discussion can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

Perhaps the calories in vs. calories out addage is an over-simplification, but it's certainly backed by science. The real guess work and speculation comes when you try to generalize a diet plan.

In the end, no matter if you are an ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph o any combination of the three; you have to apply the generalized principles that have scientific foundation, observe the results and modify as needed.

Balance your macros!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's GOOD to eat lots of carbs - if you're following a high energy exercise regimen. I'm eating a 60% carb, 25% protein, 15% fat ratio (but usually end up going way over on my protein) because I'm exercising 3+ hours a day. It helps keep my energy and endurance up. I know my ticker says I've only lost 2 pounds, but I started at 148 and I'm down to 126. I'd like to think my ratio is valid considering the last few pounds are supposedly the hardest to drop...obviously something's working.

Mind you I'm only eating *good* carbs - I don't eat junk. My carbs mainly come from fruit, whole grains, yogurt, etc.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sugar- Doesn't really matter if you go over, just don't go crazy with it
    Protein- .8-1.5g per lb. of body weight. (if you have a high bf%, use 1g/lb. LEAN MASS)
    Fat- Try to get around .3-.5 g per lb body weight.
    Carbs- Just try to get enough to meet your calorie goal while also meeting your protein & fat requirements.
    Fiber- Get at least 20 grams per day.
    Sodium - doesn't matter that much, just don't go crazy and eat like 5000mg a day