How long are your average workouts?

Options
And, do you do a mix of cardio and strength training? How do you break it up?

I started really taking care of myself a few weeks ago. So, far I've tried a few different things which works for me and to see what I like. So far I'm doing about an hour when in the gym 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes strength. When not in the gym I'll go out for a 30 to 60 minute run/walk in the neighborhood. I've also started kickboxing once a week and take 1 or 2 rest days.

I'm looking to lose weight and get in shape for many reasons but above all for me.

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My nautilus circuit takes 20 minutes, and my running takes about 20 as well. I do a mile but it's a combination of sprints and slow jogging/fast walking. I used to do like an hour on the elliptical but it didn't really do anything for me so I stopped.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    40 minutes of lifting more or less
    20-30 minutes of cardio after

You should do strength training before cardio; you don't need to warm up beyond doing one set at say 50-75% of your max weight before your working weight. Cardio prior just fatigues you needlessly.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    One hour.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    one hour. if i'm doing circuit training w/ weights, it's around 40-50 minutes, but most days it's cardio.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    60 - 90 minutes 3-4 days a week
  • eskimite
    eskimite Posts: 56
    Options
    I workout at home. Monday to Friday, I try to do between 30-50 minutes, usually a video that is more like high-intensity interval training (e.g. Jillian Michaels or Jackie Warner) or a ballet/pilates video. Saturday and Sunday I try to do 60-75 minutes, usually something more aerobic like kickboxing or using my stepper for 35-40 minutes, then either yoga or ballet or some kind of targeted video (e.g. Jillian Michael's 6-week six pack or a lower body circuit from a Jackie Warner video). I have a pretty tight schedule in the mornings due to juggling getting to work on time and the home/family routine and I am not an evening workout person, so I try to maximize what time I do have for working out by doing videos that incorporate both strength and cardio.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I always work out with a heart rate monitor, which also helps me stay in the peak zone for burning fat/calories and really pushing myself. Plus, it's nice to know how many calories I burned from working out.
  • myhubby123
    Options
    i love doing zumba 30min to 1 hour
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My first month, I was doing a mix of strength and cardio and was working out for 90 minutes at the gym (not including breaks, etc.) But due to time constraints this month, I have cut out strength training and am focusing solely on diet and light cardio (and bam, 10 pounds melted off!) So now I am spending only about 60 minutes doing cardio at the gym (excluding rests and bathroom breaks.) So we'll see how this lands me! Once I'm closer to my ideal weight I hope to limit the cardio a tad and focus more on strength. It's just not realistic to spend 2-3 hours at the gym for me, though I'd love to everyday :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    35mins to an hour only.
    Dont need to damage the CNS any more.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Between 1-2 hours depending on what kind of day I'm having and what else I still need to do. My longer sessions are usually when I'm in a good mood and really enjoying being in the gym.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Strength before cardio, you say? I shall try this!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My workouts are about 40 minutes.

I run 3 days a week, bike/spin bike one day a week, and two days a week of strength training.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Strength before cardio, you say? I shall try this!

Actually it is best to do strength before cardio as it lowers glycogen and makes you more ready to burn fat - that is the non technnical definition
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hour at the most. If you are in the gym over 90 mins or 2 hours you need to have good look at the intensity of your workout.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Anyone else care to chime in?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1-2 hours.

I go on the treadmill first, usually for less than 30min but if I'm on a roll I just keep going. I'd rather do my cardio after strength but I find it easier to get it out the way first. I can go up to an hour.

Then I move on to strength. Upper body takes me the longest as I have a greater variety of exercises. I love working my lower body and I like to do as much as possible both downstairs with weights and upstairs on the mats. My abs workout is probably the shortest because I don't like it so much and have fewer moves.

I go back to the treadmill afterwards but usually spend less time than at the beginning of my workout, just because I get conscious of the time and feel quite accomplished already at that point.

Then I stretch and leave.

I workout longer if I'm alone but I feel bad spend more than 2 hours there - since I go 6 days a week I feel like an addict if I stay too long. Plus I don't want to injure myself.
  • justjen0117
    Options
    My average workouts are roughly 35 minutes 3x/week. I only do strength training (SL 5x5) with the exception of rowing 500m as a warmup for each session.

I've actually gained 2 lbs but I've dropped a size already after 4 weeks. I pretty much stay off the scale except for once a month.

I do Krav Maga twice a week but I don't factor that in as a workout.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    5 minute warmup on the treadmill

30 minutes of weights, abs, or quads

15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill at the end of my workout
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Seriously, all you cardio before strength training people...stop it, stop what you're doing.

Do it the other way.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I go outside... about 40min to 1 1/2 hours of hiking or biking. If the timing is bad I'll succumb to a lame 30 minute walk but it's better then nothing!