What really makes us fat (NYTimes.com)

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    You know what I reckon makes us fat?

Food.

Not even the 'wrong kind' of food - just food.

I think our whole society is geared towards making us want food, I think there are too many ads on tv for food, too many billboards advertising food, too many sports events sponsered by food companies. Ad infinitum.

And too many news articles avoiding this issue, instead they focus on 'white noise' and confusing notions. (Because 'big food' absolutely owns us)

This.

People get fat from eating too much food for their respective activity levels. Sit at the desk all day and eat out every meal of course you'll get fat. Carbs aren't the devil, sugar isn't the devil, fat isn't the devil....eating too MUCH of them or anything else and not burning more units of energy than you're ingesting on the regular.....that's the issue. I can honestly say I never ate a doughnut and woke up five pounds heavier the next day. #JUSTSAYIN ;)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The more we concentrate on hormones and the less on the overly simplistic calories in/out math problem the better off we'll collectively be.

If calories in/out worked as effectively as touted then we'd be able to do it, and we can't.

I always find it interesting that the younger people tend to be down on this idea, presumably because their metabolism has been battered around less and yeh, they can lose weight by cutting the calories a bit, no worries. And hey, look at my ripped profile pic to prove it, check out those 'guns', etc.

Compare that to yer average dieter approaching middle-age just wanting to lose a bit of wobble ... Hormones a bit more of a factor there I'd wager.

But hey, you go your way, you keep trying to exercise off that grub by burning xxxx calories, and keep it up, good luck to ya.

This times a million!
    When I lost 40 lbs in my teens and twenties (yup, twice) it was simply as mechanism of eat less, move more. Now, for the love of god at 35 years old, I have lost 5lbs in 5 months, with the eat less move more/eat more/lift more.
    Last week, I switched to 100g carbs and I feel better than I have in years.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    The more we concentrate on hormones and the less on the overly simplistic calories in/out math problem the better off we'll collectively be.

If calories in/out worked as effectively as touted then we'd be able to do it, and we can't.

I always find it interesting that the younger people tend to be down on this idea, presumably because their metabolism has been battered around less and yeh, they can lose weight by cutting the calories a bit, no worries. And hey, look at my ripped profile pic to prove it, check out those 'guns', etc.

Compare that to yer average dieter approaching middle-age just wanting to lose a bit of wobble ... Hormones a bit more of a factor there I'd wager.

But hey, you go your way, you keep trying to exercise off that grub by burning xxxx calories, and keep it up, good luck to ya.

This times a million!
    When I lost 40 lbs in my teens and twenties (yup, twice) it was simply as mechanism of eat less, move more. Now, for the love of god at 35 years old, I have lost 5lbs in 5 months, with the eat less move more/eat more/lift more.

Here's the interesting side to the calories in vs calories out/hormones equation:

Unfortunately it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out because calories in vs calories out eFFECTS calories in vs calories out. Here's a quick extreme example:

Person is dieting in a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound a week. "Gee, why don't I crank that to 1,500 calorie deficit and lose 3 pounds a week?!" Not so, because now the person has substantially cut the energy intake they are accustomed to for daily living. That intense hour of weights and cardio goes to **** because of the lack of energy available to work at that level now. On top of that, the person's hormone levels go all out of wack too. Hormones down, chance of overtraining higher, substantially lowered caloric intake creates substantially lowered metabolism, etc."

A great diet comes from a slight caloric deficit and daily intense exercise while keeping the body recovering strongly on a regular basis which will keep cortisol levels down and hormone levels in balance. #MYTWOCENTS ;)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Food.

I think our whole society is geared towards making us want food, I think there are too many ads on tv for food, too many billboards advertising food, too many sports events sponsered by food companies. Ad infinitum.

And too many news articles avoiding this issue, instead they focus on 'white noise' and confusing notions. (Because 'big food' absolutely owns us)

Absolutely. Too much food.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    So you've been living in a fantasy world for years where the bold is true?

Instead of trolling, why not enlighten the masses with your insinuated expertise?
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The usual garbage from Taubes

Just because you choose to eat low calorie compared to low carb doesn't make him a quack. There are millions of good studies over the past 30 years that tell us that eating lower carb keeps you healthier and less likely to get the diseases associated with being fat. If it helps people why are you such a hater?

Maybe they're speaking from experience like I am right now. I did Atkins years ago and yes it worked! BUT, only for the short term. Within 6 months I started gaining a little back at a time. Now 7 years later I'm heavier than before I started Atkins. I was exstatic with the quick weight loss but let me tell you, I felt like crap. Not only that, when I did eat carbs, my stomach revolted violently. So thinking logically, a diet that has you limit fruit & carbs (both in the food pyramid), should this be healthy? I agree in keeping the carbs on the lower side but not getting rid of them completely. I'm losing the weight slower now, but it's a steady loss with no gains. Moderation, variety and exercise are the keys to my sucess.
  • steinmak1
    steinmak1 Posts: 5
    Options
    We are not meant to eat carbohydrate. The common misconception is that we need carbs for energy. Once you are low carb for long enough, you begin to burn fats in ketosis instead. It is amazing for your health.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bumping for the entertainment value
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

This times a million!

Of course, as a teenager, your metabolism was higher and you probably moved a lot more during the day. So, there's that to take into account.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Just because you choose to eat low calorie compared to low carb doesn't make him a quack. There are millions of good studies over the past 30 years that tell us that eating lower carb keeps you healthier and less likely to get the diseases associated with being fat. If it helps people why are you such a hater?
    Talk to a vegan and they will say the same about meat eating.
    Point is that thinking of any food/macro nutrient is the reason we're fat is someone really trying to make money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beckajw
    Options

You should really open your mind because most everyone can not eat junk food and lose weight due to insulin and other hormone issues.

They are proving this more and more each day and the people need to wake up.

The fake food is not helping any of us and that is why I no longer partake in fake food.

Taubes is against eating fruit. Are you going to argue that fruit is fake food?

No one is advocating eating junk food. The definition of junk food is not carbohydrate.

This statement still doesn't make any sense. Where is the proof that "most everyone can not eat junk food and lose weight due to insulin and other hormone issues?" What do insulin and hormones have to do with it?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    For the record, My naturopathic Dr, Chiropractor, and my family Dr all advocate the Paleo lifestyle because it FOCUSES on eating REAL food and finding what works with your individual body.

I find it funny that so many people on this site saying that those of us that are living a controlled carb lifestyle say we are making excuses for the very people that MANY doctors are embracing and finding fact with.
    Lol, well by your source of "DRs" it's no wonder you believe that carbs are evil...........................

IDEA Fitness member
  • beckajw
    Options

Talk to a vegan and they will say the same about meat eating.
    Point is that thinking of any food/macro nutrient is the reason we're fat is someone really trying to make money.

IDEA Fitness member

^^ This exactly. I hear the Adkins people saying "humans aren't supposed to eat carbs". I hear vegans saying "humans aren't supposed to eat meat". The funny thing is that I see both healthy and unhealthy vegans and both healthy and unhealthy low-carbers. So, it can't just be about the carb vs. meat. It must be something else ---- ummm, like CALORIES!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

Food.

^^ So agree with this post.

Coming from an Asian background, I do not believe that a lower carb diet is always the way to go. Everyone is different and low carb works for many individuals, but my mother, brother, and sister were born in Asia and they have been slim my entire life and they eat loads of "bad" carbs(aka white rice). The difference is that they don't consume processed foods like chips, deserts, packaged foods, etc... My mother has always cooked from scratch. I was born here with a father that only ate typical American processed foods(tv dinners, fast foods, boxed stuff), so I developed very bad eating habits. Everywhere you turn there is a fast food joint or someone selling junk food.
    Moderation with the aim towards quality foods is what I believe is the best "diet".

^^^^^^^^^^^ Both
  • chloe_1334
    Options
    Reading all of these different points has left me confused. Which is best - low carbohydrate diet or otherwise?

I tend to eat more carbohydrates like wholegrain because I'm vegetarian, but I know that if I made more of an effort into finding low carbohydrate, higher protein sources of food I could allow them to become a larger part of my diet.

Both the 'carbohydrates don't matter' and 'carbohydrates do matter, you must reduce intake' arguments look comprehensive here! :S So confused
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    How about this.....Find something that works and do it! If its Adkins, WW, Fasting, pizza, vodka, or insert fad diet here. If you are healthy and more importantly happy, who gives a rats *kitten* about the rest? All these charts, science reports, and nut jobs telling us what we should be doing is trash. Get regular check ups with the doctor, eat what makes you happy and healthy, and just live life! A ton of people seem to over think this.

I'll take the vodka diet for 100 :)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Reading all of these different points has left me confused. Which is best - low carbohydrate diet or otherwise?

Adherence is, by far, the #1 predictor of success or failure on a diet. So the best diet is the one that:

1. Creates a caloric deficit.
    2. You can consistently adhere to.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

This times a million!

Of course, as a teenager, your metabolism was higher and you probably moved a lot more during the day. So, there's that to take into account.

I absolutely agree with you there. I personally cannot imagine being on a Adkins type diet on the long term. I am comfortable at 100 grams. So is my doctor. But I do wonder, how many carbs do we really need? I am not saying that number is low, but I just really wonder. I mean, I sit at my desk all day, go to the gym and work hard for about an hour. I then go home, make dinner, ect for 1 hour, and then back on my butt I go. How much energy does that take? And I swear, I am being genuine with this question.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzz8kuJ51a1r04hv1.gif
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Adherence is, by far, the #1 predictor of success or failure on a diet. So the best diet is the one that:

1. Creates a caloric deficit.
    2. You can consistently adhere to.

^^ this

bit of a long read but well worth it

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/11_02/bigfatlies.pdf