If you had $1000 to spend on fitness, what would you do?

Options
Vonwarr
Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
Hello all, new(ish) member here, started my fitness journey in late May. I'm looking for some fitness related input and figured some of the MFP forum members might help! :)

If you had $1000 to spend on fitness (services or equipment), what would you do?

I'm in an interesting position right now. I get a "wellness benefit" at work, where I can spend up to $1k and claim it back for fitness/wellness related expenses. In the past I've used it to buy a bike, wii fit, and house league fees, so it can cover quite a range of things. I don't really like going to the gym, and I currently have the following equipment (accumulated over years) at home:

- Smallish foldable multi-function weight bench (doesn't really get much use)
- Roughly 300 lbs of free weights, 2 barbells, a curl bar, and 4 dumbbells (these all see quite a bit of use)
- Several resistance bands in the 50 - 90 lbs range
- An Octane Q35 elliptical (which has seen A LOT of use since May)
- A heart rate monitor, body calipers, and a good multi-function scale

As you can see, I'm fairly well set up... but I have this benefit, and it will expire at the end of the year whether I use it or not.

Looking forward to your replies... and any suggestions you might have for me! Thanks!

Edit: I'm currently thinking that I will go with at least some sessions with a personal trainer as so many have suggested, and spend the remainder on a couple of the things missing in my workout room (gym mats, pull-up bar), and maybe some high quality protein powder. Thanks for all the replies, keep them comin! :)

Replies

• BrideToBe101212
    Options
    What about some fitness dvds? P90X, Insanity, etc. Oh I wish I could do that!!
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes I would try the P90X.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I would get the fitbit for sure so I could sync it with fitness pal!
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    My number one choice would be get my arms fixed and my number two get a bow flex...
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bowflex, Its more the 1k but atleast youd be able to recover some of the cost
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Join a Crossfit gym. Best workout ever. Even if you don't stay a member at least learn the moves, no real equipment needed and when the membership runs out, you will be set to do it at home.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Go out of the country and run!

Upgrade your equipment and sell the old stuff for cash.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd buy all the Jillian Michaels DVDs, other DVDs like P90X and Insanity (they're on the pricier side), more workout shorts and sports bras, a new pair of running shoes, a really good heart rate monitor, a pull up bar, and weights of various sizes. If I had the room I'd also definitely go for large equipment like a stationary bike, an elliptical, or a treadmill.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would buy a fantastic set of bars and plates, along with the other bits and pieces I desire like a good bench, gym floormats for my basement, etc. I love me some lifting.

It is what my heart currently yearns for, but I don't have the dough.

I also think it would be great to invest in some phenomenal sneakers.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    power rack and bumper plates, naturally.
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    Home gym equipment.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Get some fitness DVDs. I'd go for a treadmill if I had the space. I love my ellipitcal. If you have the space maybe get a stationary bike and a treadmill. You can get decent ones for cheap-ish depending on where you live.

Can you use it to get some new workout clothing? Might be a good chance to grab a few new sets. You could invest in a few of the great dvds out there for fitness... P90X is great, as is TurboFire and such. Tons of them out there!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Can you use the money to travel to somewhere where you could spend a week walking/running around some awesome scenery?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Throw a huge party....a mega "Free Day"
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a few running shoes, weights, bike and accessories, a treadmill or an elliptical.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'd totally use it to sign up for a few races myself (I usually spend about $400 a year on races) and then spend the rest on running shoes and gels for those races :wink:

Since you're fairly well set up I'd consider using it to try some new classes/activities that you've never tried before but have always wanted to!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Buy a rower!! And the rest on food?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I would get the fitbit for sure so I could sync it with fitness pal!

This plus a tremill, elliptical, and stationary bike for the winter.
    Than does a boob job count??? Lol mine are a bit saggy now.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    If I had that kind of money I would buy a treadmill, shoes, clothes to use when I trained, maybe see a trainer on a regular basis.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    bootcamp or a few in home personal training sessions :)