It IS a SPORT!!!!

Options
judith3
judith3 Posts: 296 Member
To all those people who say cheerleading is not a sport come on really i dare you to try doing half the things these girls do just watch the videos!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=iN-ZZp2YnSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kogRkh3_-II&feature=related
In this Second Video cheerleading history was made when Maddie Gardner (the girl in the middle) at 2:02 in the video does what is called a Ball Up 360 Tick tock which had never ever been done before

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    so is it not just gymnastics under another name ?
  • Rosalyn94
    Rosalyn94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, It is a sport, I used to be a cheerleader.
    But really... does it matter what people call it?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If Ben Afflec can get an Oscar, so can cheerleading be a sport

If American "Football" can be considered sports, then so can cheerleading

If a 1200 calories per serving salad be called a salad, then cheerleading can be called sport

Bottom line, you can call it whatever the heck you want
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    apparently Darts is a sport !

:tongue:
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    apparently Darts is a sport !

:tongue:

Someone say Jarts?

jarts-580x435.jpg
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I personally feel only competitive cheerleading is a sport. Having been a cheerleader/athlete I feel that if you only cheer at sporting events and do nothing more than prep level stunts then you're nothing more than a cheerleader.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    NASCAR is a sport too it's on espn.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Is there a winner in cheerleading? Not a team, but an individual, and how does that person win? If it is judged, scored, or point tallied, then it is not a sport, if it is scored in a table, or league, then it is not a sport. Sports are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.
    There are very few sports, mostly what people call sports are children’s games made in to big business.
    Rounders plus money =baseball
    Netball plus money = basketball
    School boy Rugby plus padding and money= American Football
    Kick the can+ money = Soccer

cheerleading is just team dancing
  • YokoJ
    Options
    Is there a winner in cheerleading? Not a team, but an individual, and how does that person win? If it is judged, scored, or point tallied, then it is not a sport, if it is scored in a table, or league, then it is not a sport. Sports are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.
    There are very few sports, mostly what people call sports are children’s games made in to big business.

What is a sport to you?
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I dont consider it a sport.

If cheerleading is a sport, then would flag dancing become a sport? What about ballet?
  • YokoJ
    Options
    I see everyone saying it is not a sport, yet they can't give a valid reason why.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I see everyone saying it is not a sport, yet they can't give a valid reason why.

Because the majority of cheerleading happens during a sporting event to rile up the crowd?

I really dont care to argue this, its just my opinion. Its great others think its a sport.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    It would be like two for The price of one. XD
  • YokoJ
    Options

Because the majority of cheerleading happens during a sporting event to rile up the crowd?

I really dont care to argue this, its just my opinion. Its great others think its a sport.

I have no desire to argue...that's not my personality. But to give you a more informed answer it is not only held during other events. I've been on competitive teams that strictly participates at competitions.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    And there was me thinking this was going to be about beach volleyball...
  • tadpole242
    Options

What is a sport to you?
    Hunting shooting fishing, to name but three
  • YokoJ
    Options

What is a sport to you?

What makes those things sports?
  • tadpole242
    Options

What is a sport to you?

What makes those things sports?
    they are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.
  • YokoJ
    Options
    "they are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe."

Ok! I can deff see your point now....YOU are the first person I've met that made logic out of the opposing view on this topic. I guess the meaning of sport vary country to country. ALTHOUGH! Per your definition cheerleading would be a sport bc your foe would be the opposing team and you would conquer said foe by accumilating more points. Lol BUT AGAIN I deff see your view.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    "they are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe."

Ok! I can deff see your point now....YOU are the first person I've met that made logic out of the opposing view on this topic. I guess the meaning of sport vary country to country. ALTHOUGH! Per your definition cheerleading would be a sport bc your foe would be the opposing team and you would conquer said foe by accumilating more points. Lol BUT AGAIN I deff see your view.
    person not team, and no points, so for cheerleading to want to be come a sport it would be one on one, and to the death....