Why is tons of water important?

Options
I have a tough time drinking water, but I know my body needs it. I manage to drink about 4 bottles a day, and I eat fruit and have other drinks.

I tend to drink more when I'm working out, but on my rest days it really turns into a chore to drink it. I'm a little more inclined to do something if I know why I need to do it, or if there is some added benefit.

So, is it truly beneficial to drink a trough of water everyday?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    allows the body to build more muscle, burn more fat, intake more nutrients including enableing protein synthesis (muscle building process) to work better.... also fills you up more if you are trying to eat less and are in a caloric defecit... it also clears up skin and makes you look better overall.. the benefits are endless when it comes to water.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    In my experience, drinking a lot of water has been helping me lose. I don't know why. Even at my TOM, I have not been retaining water.

I think it is supposed to help with water retention if you are constantly cycling water in and out. Lets your body flush out toxins better. Especially if you add lemon to it (good for your liver).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not really, not supported by evidence. Drinking before eating may reduce the amount you eat but after that you just need to be adequately hydrates which isn't measured in gallons.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i think its a conspiracy. Big Water has filled K street with their lobbyists.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Give or take, 60% of your entire body is water. You can go weeks/months without food and not die. You go a few days without water and it's death. Water is vital for every system in your body to function healthily. I live by the axiom, if your ever thirsty, it means you are ALREADY dehydrated.

As long as you do not have a health condition (congestive heart failure, etc) drinking more water is always a good idea.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Not really, not supported by evidence. Drinking before eating may reduce the amount you eat but after that you just need to be adequately hydrates which isn't measured in gallons.

Depends on the person. I know during my workouts or when I do yard work, etc I am a huge sweat ball. It's not uncommon for me to sweat off 4+ lbs in an hour or so working out. So I always shoot for 1+ gallons of water daily. Now granted, for some that's overkill. It just depends on your body, some can be just fine on 64 ounces or less. I know for me, at half a gallon my mouth is dry, i'm thirsty cranky and my muscles get sore.
  • christiffer
    Options
    It's not as magical as some think, but it is important to stay well hydrated.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Oddly enough, if you don't drink enough water, your body retains water which can leave you feeling bloated or even increase the numbers on the scale.

If you are having a tough time getting in your water, try MiO. It's a liquid water enhancer sold in grocery stores usually with the Crystal Light and the Kool-Aid. It is calorie free and you can adjust the taste by how much you squirt into your water bottle. I can't drink water without it. The strawberry watermelon is awesome!
  • zaxmom09
    zaxmom09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is beneficial on days that you are working out, because you are losing water when you sweat. However, on days that you rest; it is not neccessary that you drink a lot of water. Matter of fact, you only have to drink when you feel thirsty on your rest days. There is no scientific evidence to support that drinking a lot of water will help your body.

Reference
    (Per my SCI 241 nutrition class that I just completed) got an A+)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much sodium you are getting, how much you are sweating and other factors can change how much water you should have throughout the day.

I typically go for around 2 liters of water or more a day. I also drink 2 or 3 mugs of tea which adds to it. This amount works for me, I refill a 2 liter bottle everyday and I usually finish it around 8pm and still have water afterwards along with tea. I don't think I've had any problems with water retention and I am getting around 2500mg of sodium a day, hell even more at times.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Oddly enough, if you don't drink enough water, your body retains water which can leave you feeling bloated or even increase the numbers on the scale.

If you are having a tough time getting in your water, try MiO. It's a liquid water enhancer sold in grocery stores usually with the Crystal Light and the Kool-Aid. It is calorie free and you can adjust the taste by how much you squirt into your water bottle. I can't drink water without it. The strawberry watermelon is awesome!

Just a side note on MiO, and this is just my experience, but when I put it in my water, it actually stalled out my weight loss. I was still eating the same things and working out etc, but no movement. For a month. I quit using it and started losing again.

Again, just my experience, but it might save someone who is frustrated.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options

Just a side note on MiO, and this is just my experience, but when I put it in my water, it actually stalled out my weight loss. I was still eating the same things and working out etc, but no movement. For a month. I quit using it and started losing again.

Really? I haven't had that experience... Well, at least I don't think I have. Maybe I should stop using it and see if I lose weight quicker! :smile:
  • jealous_loser
    Options

Really? I haven't had that experience... Well, at least I don't think I have. Maybe I should stop using it and see if I lose weight quicker! :smile:

I think it might have had something to do with the artificial sweetner in it. I keep seeing people praise MiO and thought I would throw that out there.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Because this much of you IS water.

about01.gif
  • jac264
    jac264 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is beneficial on days that you are working out, because you are losing water when you sweat. However, on days that you rest; it is not neccessary that you drink a lot of water. Matter of fact, you only have to drink when you feel thirsty on your rest days. There is no scientific evidence to support that drinking a lot of water will help your body.

Reference
    (Per my SCI 241 nutrition class that I just completed) got an A+)

I understand what you are trying to say (and congrats on the A+) but you have to be careful what you write on here because people may take it the wrong way. As silly as it sounds, "A lot" of water to some people might mean more than 1 or 2 glasses.

You mean to say there is no scientific evidence that drinking a huge surplus of water above an adequate amount to keep you properly hydrated will help your body.

I don't think people need to go ahead and drink two gallons of water a day, but you would be surprised how little water people drink. I hate drinking water. There may be some days where I don't consume a liquid all day! And I've blacked out from dehydration before. I got really thirsty, drank 9 glasses of water at this bar/restaurant but by then it was too late. My heart rate skyrocketed and I couldn't speak, got really dizzy. Not fun! "Not dying" is enough "scientific evidence" for me haha
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's not. New studies have come out to disprove this theory. Google it, I'm too lazy to provide the links.

You get most of what you need from the food you eat. You do not need to force feed yourself water if you don't want to drink it.
  • jac264
    jac264 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's not. New studies have come out to disprove this theory. Google it, I'm too lazy to provide the links.

You get most of what you need from the food you eat. You do not need to force feed yourself water if you don't want to drink it.

Ok lazy. I can't find these "studies" so if you can find some links that would be great (to the actually journal articles) Did they actually compare people drinking water vs. not drinking water and a variety of diets. What about people who don't eat fruits and vegetables - do they need water? There are a lot of factors - I worry that by posting vague statements without a thorough explanation of the controls and variables of each study is going to make people misinterpret what you say and believe things without the full story.

Thanks.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    i think its a conspiracy. Big Water has filled K street with their lobbyists.

:laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not surprisingly much of the so-called hydration research has been funded by the makers of sports drinks (no conflict of interest there......)

Adequate hydration is important for overall good health and extremely important (more from a performance point of view) for athletes. Many people do overlook the fact that much of what we eat is, like our bodies, mostly water and a considerable amount of your fluid needs can be met through eating.

If you're consuming large quantities of water on a daily basis I would suggest supplementing your electrolytes. Remember grade 10 science and that class on osmosis? That happens in your body and too much water will deplete electrolyte levels and (the movie Idiocracy notwithstanding) your body needs adequate levels of electrolytes to function properly.

http://www.healthtoheart.com/electrolytes-electrolyte-imbalance.htm
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Ok lazy. I can't find these "studies" so if you can find some links that would be great (to the actually journal articles) Did they actually compare people drinking water vs. not drinking water and a variety of diets. What about people who don't eat fruits and vegetables - do they need water? There are a lot of factors - I worry that by posting vague statements without a thorough explanation of the controls and variables of each study is going to make people misinterpret what you say and believe things without the full story.

Thanks.

If you read the book Freakonomics they talk about how it's never been based on any science.

This is just a news article but it basically covers it.
    http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/05/12053524-let-go-of-the-water-bottle-youre-plenty-hydrated-people?lite