How do you all feel about working out with a work-out buddy?

Options
I hate it because I always feel they wanna talk and slack off, or they are way too intense for me and try to make me do things that are seriously above my physical ability yet! I had been running with a friend and she got mad because I wasn't pushing her, but when I would tell her to run ahead or go push herself harder she says she hates to work out alone.

So do you prefer working out alone or with a partner? and why?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner.

No, really. Whenever I was out on a bike ride, I found it really annoying when I was riding with someone. I like to GO! No need to stop for the scenery, or to ride that log, or to slow down for the big patch of rocks.

As for running/walking. Having someone with you could be nice, because it's a mundane activity.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner.

No, really. Whenever I was out on a bike ride, I found it really annoying when I was riding with someone. I like to GO! No need to stop for the scenery, or to ride that log, or to slow down for the big patch of rocks.

As for running/walking. Having someone with you could be nice, because it's a mundane activity.

I understand that, but see I use running/ walking as me time. No one is bothering me or asking me to think or do. I just put on my head phones and drift away to what I want to think about and what I want to do.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I just find that most people slow me down.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I have a really hard time listening to music while working out. Any form or workout (unless you're dancing, of course). It's too distracting.

I nearly hit a tree when I tried headphones for the first time. lol
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I'd rather have a work-out buddy. For me, I enjoy having another person to push me harder, and for me to push them harder. I am a very competitive person and I enjoy working out with people stronger, faster, etc then me, I love the challenge. Thats why I like group classes. I can watch people who are better, and try my best to do what I can to match them.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time listening to music while working out. Any form or workout (unless you're dancing, of course). It's too distracting.

I nearly hit a tree when I tried headphones for the first time. lol

haha, thats great! If I am at the gym listening to music while I run doesn't work for me, I usually find something on the tv that distracts me from watching the clock. But when i am in the great outdoors it makes me feel like super woman! Plus I can tell how long I run based on how many songs I listened to during my run. lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My most reliable workout buddy is named iPod!!

The wrong work out buddy can definitely drag you down! You also don't want to have to wait on that person or depend on them to keep you going. A good one can be really helpful..I have a workout buddy that often pushes me to do more, and I try to do the same, but neither of us depends on the other one to get us to the gym...and I have no problem going it alone!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    I'd rather have a work-out buddy. For me, I enjoy having another person to push me harder, and for me to push them harder. I am a very competitive person and I enjoy working out with people stronger, faster, etc then me, I love the challenge. Thats why I like group classes. I can watch people who are better, and try my best to do what I can to match them.

I think group classes are better because you are all individually working but everyone is competing. Makes a better workout like that.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different preference. I like to run with someone else but prefer to do weights on my own or in a class but focusing just on me.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting, the only person I will go with is my sister. There is no extra "lag time" because we both don't want to waste our time at the gym. It's fun with her. Otherwise, I lift alone.

When I am running, I don't mind running with others but as long as they are close to the same pace as me. It might sound mean, but I am running for me so I want to get something out of it. The exception is if I am running with someone to help push them, which means I accept having to run slower. And I do like encouraging and helping others. I am military and sometimes we do "buddy runs" and I somehow always end up with people a lot slower than me, to the point where I can walk as fast as them. And it is downright painful to run too slow. I am perfectly happy running/walking alone, too, though.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have a workout partner to get me to the gym... When we are there we chat some (me more than her LOL) but in the end we really just get our workout done... for us it's more the motivation to go.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I did in the past with 3-4 girls and it took FOREVVVVVER. No disrespect but I'm not at the gym to gossip, check myself out or pick up dudes. I get in and get my crap done and go home. If I work out with anyone it's my husband boxing but that's about it. My running is definitely my me time and helps me burn some stress off.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I like to *start* working out with a buddy, just to get me doing it. The accountability helps. Then, once I'm into the habit, I'm all about going it alone.

I have a really hard time starting something, and need someone there to kick my butt. I did NOT get this way by having the ability to kick my own butt.:wink:
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Not for me. I did in the past with 3-4 girls and it took FOREVVVVVER. No disrespect but I'm not at the gym to gossip, check myself out or pick up dudes. I get in and get my crap done and go home. If I work out with anyone it's my husband boxing but that's about it. My running is definitely my me time and helps me burn some stress off.

I feel the same, I hate being there any longer than I have to.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I prefer biking with music over biking with a friend. I don't wanna talk. I'm all about speed, cadence, and ME time!
  • chivalryder
    Options

Who needs relationship counselling when you can just beat the crap out of each other?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I prefer biking with music over biking with a friend. I don't wanna talk. I'm all about speed, cadence, and ME time!

I know of a girl who ate the grill of a truck she didn't notice because she had her headphones on.

She survived, but no one expected her to.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm a lone wolf, Hoooowwwwwwwwwooooooooooollllllllllll. And I go at 5am so I don't even bother looking for a work out buddy.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

I know of a girl who ate the grill of a truck she didn't notice because she had her headphones on.

She survived, but no one expected her to.

I agree, it can distract you from noises if crossing streets and other areas that could be dangerous. thats why you should always have one ear bud out.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I workout alone, it's easier that way. I want to get it over with.