How do you all feel about working out with a work-out buddy?

Options

Replies

• Morethanwillpower12
    Morethanwillpower12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good topic :) I like working out with a buddy but its hard when you are at different fitness levels because either they are slowing you down or you are slowing them down. Most of the time I just work out by myself. Like others who have replies, I also like to listen to music when I work out.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I prefer biking with music over biking with a friend. I don't wanna talk. I'm all about speed, cadence, and ME time!

I know of a girl who ate the grill of a truck she didn't notice because she had her headphones on.

She survived, but no one expected her to.

I agree, it can distract you from noises if crossing streets and other areas that could be dangerous. thats why you should always have one ear bud out.

Even with one ear bud out, you're still deaf on one side of your body.
    Obviously you feel strongly about this, and I'm truly sorry about your friend being hurt so badly...but not everyone who listens to music while biking is blocking out all of their other senses.

I've always used my iPod on a somewhat low volume to bike ride (on designated bike paths...not main roads), and they aren't noise cancelling headphones, and I've NEVER had a situation where I was surprised by another bike, person or vehicle. To me its not any different than listening to music and driving my car...I still have to watch other cars and listen for sirens, etc.. you still have to be on alert.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    People hold me back, not my thing.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I understand that, but see I use running/ walking as me time.

+1 to that
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner.
  • sam2674
    sam2674 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I workout alone. Nobody I know is interested in working out, losing weight, except for my fiance and he has different hours than me.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I work out alone because I get up at 4:30 to do it. However, even if I worked out at a "normal" hour most of the time I would still prefer to work out alone because I am laser-focused and would probably annoy anyone working out with me with me saying "LET'S GO!"
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It depends on what my workout is for that day. I do go to the gym and exercise classes alone but will also go with my daughter however we just get on with our workout without chatting (on the way home we gossip about anyone who has annoyed us!). If I'm going for a walk I prefer to have company.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if I knew someone following basically the same workout in the area. I've been doing it alone, but having a spotter for the bench press and someone to help video / check my form would be awesome.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have a weird work schedule, so meeting up with people isn't easy ....... stopping at the gym each day has become ME time .....
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I feel like I get more done when I am by myself. I love just being by myself on a run, and I feel like I can work out my problems just listening to music and running in the woods with my dog. It's not nearly as theraputic running on a treadmill. But you can bet that I am racing those near me! When I work out with others I feel like I should be chatting, because I like to be around others and talk.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a lone wolf, Hoooowwwwwwwwwooooooooooollllllllllll. And I go at 5am so I don't even bother looking for a work out buddy.

I like to get out there at 5 and run the track with the old people :)
  • krazykool
    krazykool Posts: 11
    Options
    It differs with me. Some days i like to go it alone, others i need a friend to motivate me along. If you want a workout partner but none of your close friends are motivated like you, talk to some people in your gym (if you belong to one) and see if you can find someone serious like you to workout with, if they don't mind. And you'll get a friend out of it, win-win.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    It depends on what the workout consists of. If it's going for a run then there's really only 1 person I can run with. Other than her I can't run with anyone else. If it's a workout dvd then it's nice to have a buddy sometimes. It makes me work harder and I don't care if they slack off or not because it's a video and you workout with the people on the dvd.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I used to work out with my friend but it was a terrible idea. My friend would go so slow and would rather chit chat and not focus on exercising. He seemed never as interested in exercising as I was, either. He wanted to be done everything at the gym in like 25 minutes. -___-
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I enjoy having a partner if it is a group fitness class. It just makes me feel better to know that I know someone else there. But, if I'm just working out on the elliptical, I don't care who is next to me. I find that generally if I go with someone, they want to talk and slow me down. I've never been with someone who I couldn't keep up with, but I think it would probably be really beneficial to push myself further.
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing. When I was going to the gym a few years ago, I had a gym partner, and it was great. We did spend time talking, but we also pushed each other to do one more set, or five more minutes on the bike, or go a little bit faster, or let's run instead of walking. It was great.

But when I'm walking, I need only two partners: My iPod and my MIL's beagle. Where I walk, there isn't much traffic or anything, so I don't have to really worry about that. But I keep my music on a lower volume so I can hear approaching cars and people.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out with someone. I'm competitive, so it helps push me to be 'better' than the other person. I've had some good partners and some bad partners, but honestly to me it's a work out either way. The ones I'm with who are better than me, they have to support me and help me out, the ones who are worse than me, I have to help and support and push them. With gym classes it's a lot more fun going with friends.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do better. If I'm alone I want to quit sooner
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I personally love to do everything on my own. I love this site for support, but in person, I love doing my diet on my own, exercising on my own. I feel others always compare. I don't want to do this to compete with someone, I want to do it to better myself and get this nasty weight off :happy: