Do you log when you binge?

Options

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING, even things like multi-vitamins and diet coke (zero calories sure, but it has sodium). I've had issues with depression, so I track my mood using another app on my phone as well. I find it useful to be able to correlate mood swings with what's going into my body and how much I'm exercising. (Since I started working out I feel significantly better all the time, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise.)

Logging it makes you accountable, if something triggered a binge mention that in the day's food notes but don't pretend the binge didn't happen.

When I want to eat something I know I probably shouldn't I actually log it *before* I eat it. Half the time seeing the calories right there, and looking at my macronutrient pie chart get all skewed, makes me go looking for a healthier version of what I'm about to eat.

Bottom line, the food log is only as good a tool as you make it. Not logging something doesn't mean the calories didn't happen, so you may as well have the info available to you.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I haven't so far, and don't plan on logging it in the future. But that's happened maybe TWICE in almost a month, and that alone has been giving me that will power that i seek in order to reach my goal weight.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I didn't at first, but I do now because I have never thought about the calories consumed and visually seeing how many i can haul away...and probably be sick the next day...I have to be true to myself because if I'm not...then I will never get to my goal weight. So I say yes to logging...even if it hurts. My food log is on private mostly because I would HATE for my friends to see a binge. :frown: But the good news is...I don't do it as much because I don't like to get to or near that 3500 calories mark. So that's a +. I guess. :huh:
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm trying to now. I had a mini-binge last night and actually logged it. As others have said, it's being honest and seeing where you messed up. Plus, keeping your diary open and knowing others are looking at it keeps ya more honest!

I didn't use to, only because I would eat such a variety I wouldn't be able to remember all that I ate!:blushing:
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I would log everything, or it wouldn't be using the tool that MFP provides correctly. =) I've only been here for a week so my moral is high, haha, but I'm sure I'll have a bad day and I know I'll have to track it.

I've found that planning my meals after breakfast (which is the same every day for me, eggs & toast & oatmeal and a banana for mid-morning snack) really helps me from eating extra junk food, because I factor in my treats for the day and know that I can deny that leftover red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting that magically appeared in the breakroom, because I have my husband's homemade lemon squares and a glass of wine waiting for me at the end of the day (just as an example) ;)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yep. If you do the crime, do the time.

Don't sweep it under the rug. Log it, and look it right in the face. This helps me from repeating the mistake too often.

^this.

I don't like seeing it so it helps me to do my best not to do it again. Not that I binge on anything I can get my hands on, I just go a little nuts sometimes on one particular food. Today will be one of them. KFC....here I come!!!!!!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use to not log, because I didn't like seeing the numbers in red and seeing the damage I was doing to myself, but then my MFP friends said "do it, don't feel embarassed", so I did it, and I rarely have binge days now. Don't get me wrong, I still binge, but not as bad. And I'm learning, it's okay for the numbers to be over a little, it's when your 300+ calories over that you should feel guilt.
  • Shyfire62
    Shyfire62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything, it's a wake-up call when you see what you've done and what the new projection is.. yikes!! . I would try and calculate the total calories as best I could by looking at the nutritional values on the package(s) and then just do a 'quick add'. If it was candy and such- you already know that most of those are carb cals, plus fat for chocolate and cake etc.

That being said... knock it off!! =)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yup, I log the good the bad and the very ugly binges.

yep.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. First because you are allowed from time to time to have a crap day. Second, to provide motivation for the remaining days of the week to burn the calories that you binged on and make it up to yourself. You should never have to feel guilty!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes.
    I don't attach "shame" to it though...I just feel like, ok, I overdid it, it's not shameful but it will hinder my overall progress if I binge too often... now I need to get back on my healthier habits and keep working on my goals.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I usually try to log something, even if it's just 1,000 quick calories. I don't have the fastest computer system and sometimes looking up things and adding them can be very time-consuming.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't...luckily it doesn't happen too often...but I KNOW what I did..I'm not one to wallow in it ;o) I may exercise more as my 'compensation' - so that helps. Thankfully each day is a fresh start!
  • Jenspark
    Jenspark Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes! One of the things I've found is that now that I've been eating healthy for awhile what I classify as a binge now is much less than a binge would have been for me 6 months ago. So,logging helps me keep it in perspective and get back on track quicker.
    (Plus, when I get on the scales a week later, I'll remember why I didn't see the results I wanted.)
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It can sometimes be completely mortifying but "if I bite it I write it".

Rececntly I went through 3 months of not eating properly with lots of binges in between; looking at those graphs week by way woke me up! Logging not only makes me accountable, but honest with myself through this process. When I am feeling low because I put back on 8 lbs, guess what, I can look back at my logs and see exactly how it happened.

As of today, 21 days back on track with a good frame of mind so no binges forseen in the future! :happy:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes :sad: It's very eye opening!!!:noway: And it helps me curb future binges...doesn't completely stop me but definitely will make you more mindful of what's going in your mouth in the future!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do, because it's a wake up call when you hit complete & see that 5 week potential, plus if I show a gain, I want to be able to look back & see what I did through the week & do differently the next
  • juliewalker1
    Options
    can anyone help me please i have lost 16lb should i decrease my calorie intake if so does any one know what to i am now 12 stone
  • peacelovelose
    peacelovelose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes, and I'd recommend at least trying it a few times because occasionally I'll see that my binge really wasn't the end of the world, or that it was really one or two choice items that messed me up for the day, or how well I would have done WITHOUT the binge, so it can be a valuable learning experience.
    BUT I also don't MAKE myself do it all the time, because I know sometimes I will just find it too discouraging, or it will discourage my use of MFP... I mean, if I know I've messed up, why do I need to spend 15 minutes re-living the binge in my head, logging each morsel meticulously? It just isn't good for my personal psyche/motivation.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I log evething. Now if I had a smartphone and could instantly log, then that would stop me from binging.