Ladies, how much do you bench?

Options
1235»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Men are just as guilty as women with bad form. Every time I see somebody benching with their feet in the air, half pressing on a flat bench, or a spotter doing 1/2 the work for them I die a little inside.

If you read New Rules of Lifting - the original, not the women's version (I think, I've read both) the authors postulate that women have generally better lifting form than men, because there's less of the ego-driven desire to lift way too much weight!

Yeah, one trainer I read said that men and women each have one prominent issue when it comes to weight lifting, generalized of course.

Men: In general we try to emphasize weight and will forego form in favor of weight.
    Women: Generally place so much emphasis on form that there is reluctance to progress in weight which leads to slow progression.

Good observation! Seems generally true to me.

Sidenote: I hate saying anything is "generally" true on here because it seems to invite the angry exceptions to the rule to b*tchslap me with a personal anecdote "proving" me wrong.

I think you have to make such statements as generalizations because they're not true for everybody, I know it's not for me. I'm very conscious of form but I'm also very progression driven, so I take both into account.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My max is 57.5kg (126.5lbs). I train on 50kg (110lbs).

Yes I touch my chest, and I get annoyed if the spotter touches it even in the slightest. A good spotter IMO will not touch it unless it either starts going back down, or you call them in.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My max is 57.5kg (126.5lbs). I train on 50kg (110lbs).

Yes I touch my chest, and I get annoyed if the spotter touches it even in the slightest. A good spotter IMO will not touch it unless it either starts going back down, or you call them in.

Or in my case, an anguished squeal of "HELP!"
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to see all the strong ladies, it's quite inspiring.

1RM 95lbs
  • xerotolerance
    Options
    55lb working sets currently. Trying to work my way up slowly, but it's definitely my weakest lift.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I don't bench. :(

At least not the flat barbel thing. I do weight training (although I haven't in the past couple weeks because of my physically demanding job) but not the tough stuff because I'm a weakling. :(