Ladies- How many cals do you eat?

Options

Replies

• kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    My calories are set for 1950 a day, however I am breastfeeding and added those calories in (so really it started at 1450). I exercise about 6 days a week, burning a minimum of 300 a day (usually double that because i exercise at lunch and in the evening). I eat back my calories to within about 100 calories each day... so Im eating over 2000 a day. So far I have lost about 11 lbs, but i keep fighting with the same 3 pounds -- have started weights and im wondering if that is temporarily hanging me up until the muscle kicks in...
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1200 - 1500
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    my dr told me 1500 but this thing says i should take in 2024. i am not even getting close to that and having a hard time getting to 1500. i work out 2 times a day so i am burning 300-400 cals a day. not sure how to change the 2024 on here.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I always shoot for around 1500 calories (300- breakfast / 400- lunch / 500- dinner/ two 150- snacks)

If I go with MFP:
    No exercise- 1630 cal.
    With exercise- around 2000+ cal.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Between 2,200 and 2,800 depending on my workout. I don't lose when I eat less! I'm 5'9" and currently 198 for the record.
  • jenny4teach
    jenny4teach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set at 1200 but I find it very hard to meet that if I dont exercise...and then it discourages me so I quit. Thanks for posting this! It makes me feel like I can range from 1200-1500 and still maybe lose weight! Those 300 calories could make my days and help me keep this up!!!
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 plus I try to eat back most of my workout cals back. Sometimes its hard, but I try. I work out 6 days a week and rest the 7 th. I'm currently doing p90x and do not follow its diet.. I eat healthier, but I do eat what I want if I want it. On my 7th day, or rest day, I log in everything I eat, but I don't pay too much attention to whether I go over or not. No, I try not to go way over board, but its my "care free" day.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the body doesn't work in exact 24 hour increments so I just try to keep a week's average about right. My MFP goal is set to 1353 and I add in and try to eat back the majority of my exercise calories. I don't make myself eat if I'm not hungry though, so some days (week days) I honestly only net 700-1000 calories, but other days (usually weekends) I net 2000-2500. It evens out in the end.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11, started at 189 lbs , and lost my first 24lbs eating at 1600 flat. I have now readjusted to 1470 and will have more on workout days.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i try to net my BMR (1790) .. so some days ill eat 1790 and some days i eat 2500, depends on exercise

how do you figure out calories from your BMI??
    its not BMI, its BMR and theres a calculator on this site, under tools..

oh woops, what is that ?
    BMR is the number of calories your body would need to function if you were in a coma. bare minimum you should eat, imo
  • shelleybelly35
    shelleybelly35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have weight to lose, why do you eat your exercise calories? I have lost 108 pounds total, but I ate around 1200-1450 daily and burned about 600-1100 6 days a week. I tried to get a "net calorie count," calories in minus exercise, of around 500-800. I lost another pound this week. No it's not muscle. I have built a tremendous amount of muscle, as I lift weight, do push-ups and pull-ups, and run sprints. My arms are cut for the first time in my life. I still have 10 pounds to reach my goal, but I am getting there. Once I do, I can eat my exercise calories to maintain my weight. But eating your exercise calories won't make you lose much weight. Your body needs around 1200 calories to sustain metabolic functions. So if you sat around doing nothing, you would need that. Sometimes people need less, depending on the speed of their metabolism. I just want to throw my opinion in because someone told me to do that and I tried it. I lost 2 pounds in a month, when I was obese and could have lost at least 1 1/2-2 pounds a week, so I had to switch back to my original ways. It was only then that the weight started melting off again.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have weight to lose, why do you eat your exercise calories? I have lost 108 pounds total, but I ate around 1200-1450 daily and burned about 600-1100 6 days a week. I tried to get a "net calorie count," calories in minus exercise, of around 500-800. I lost another pound this week. No it's not muscle. I have built a tremendous amount of muscle, as I lift weight, do push-ups and pull-ups, and run sprints. My arms are cut for the first time in my life. I still have 10 pounds to reach my goal, but I am getting there. Once I do, I can eat my exercise calories to maintain my weight. But eating your exercise calories won't make you lose much weight. Your body needs around 1200 calories to sustain metabolic functions. So if you sat around doing nothing, you would need that. Sometimes people need less, depending on the speed of their metabolism. I just want to throw my opinion in because someone told me to do that and I tried it. I lost 2 pounds in a month, when I was obese and could have lost at least 1 1/2-2 pounds a week, so I had to switch back to my original ways. It was only then that the weight started melting off again.

Because my body burns about 1300 calories just existing. It burns another couple hundred from daily activities. Then another 500-700 from working out. Plus it burns calories when digesting. Netting 500-800 is not healthy.
    And considering I would be STARVING eating only 1200-1400 calories per day I'll stick with my low deficit.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try to end at 1300 a day or a little lower, and when I workout, I eat back all (or most) of those. I try to burn at least 300 a day in workouts, so generally I actually eat 1500 a day. If I'm not working out, then obviously I have to tone down the eating, but to be honest it's extremely difficult for me to eat such a low amount and not work out. I'm happier if I can enjoy my snacks and just know that I have to do some form of physical activity for 45 min to an hour as a result. (On my "rest" days I still go for a brisk hour walk.. I would feel bad if I had a day where I did absolutely no physical activity.)

I am 5 ft 3 and I lose about 1.4 lbs a week. I wish I could lose faster, but I know that to be able to do this long-term, slow and steady is the way to go.

And I eat back my calories because if not I would be starving and miserable. I don't want to feel like being on a diet is a horrible punishment. I want to be happy even if this does take a lot of work.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    My calorie goal (according to my BMR) is 1540... But the last few days I really had problems to come onto 1200.... Not feeling hungry at all respectively I've had enough in the evenings and don't know what to eat more to fill up my calorie-intake... :-s I try to eat back about 50% of my calories...

I'm 5 ft 4 and 152lbs... I've started this journey 5 weeks ago and lost 15lbs so far.
  • nickollette113
    nickollette113 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    On days I work out, I eat around 1800 usually, sometimes closer to 2000. I average about 700 burned from exercise. On days I don't work out, I eat around 1500. And I think (based on a calculator) my BMR is around 2230.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I'm currently set at 1200/day but I usually exercise 5-6 times a week burning anywhere from 500-900 cals/day. I usually eat all but 30-50 of my cals back.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The calories you take in vary according to height, weight, age and activity level.
    I'm short. I have about 30-35 lbs to lose. I'm 40.
    My workout schedule varies but I am pretty sedentary.

My calories range to I'm pushing to get in 1200 to 1500 plus exercise calories. It all depends on the day.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    because my body needs more than 1200 to survive, even if i sat on my *kitten* all day (hence me eating at my bmr) and i burn calories doing everything else i do throughout the day. just because im obese doesnt mean its healthy to net low just to lose weight faster. im miserable on anything less than 1500 calories a day (i tried it) - id much rather eat more and still lose - totally enjoying life. eating exercise calories doesnt make you maintain - eating at maintenance does
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals per day and exercise abou 5 days a week, mixing kettlebells, pilates, rowing, biking, yoga. I don't add back in my exercise calories except if I exercise over 1 hour, I have 100 calories for each additional hour. I am losing at a reasonable clip (5.8 pounds for July). I believe in slow and steady ....this isn't a diet but a lifestyle change.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Currently I am eating no more than 1200 a day, with running for 30 minutes twice a week and aerobics for an hour once a week. I have been on this diet 3 weeks and have lost only 4lbs :(.

I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all. My BMR is 1450 and m TDEE is 2000. So I normally have a 800 deficit, which should give me a 2lb weight loss a week, but it hasn't.

My aim is to get down to 145 - 140 before the beginning of my holiday in September and then once I've reached that weight I intend to up my cals to about 1500 until I reach my goal of 130.