Heat Wave affecting exercise??

Options
A lot of places are dealing with a heat wave right now.

Now for people like me, getting to the gym when it's 96 degrees out and 60% humidity and I don't have AC or working vents in my car and my gym is a 20 minute drive. Also I worked at one of my jobs, this one is fast food and it was HELLA HOT in there! Seriously I sweated the whole time.

I really wanted to exercise today, and I did, but even with the AC at the gym, I was sweating 10x more than usual.

Just curious if it's worth it to exercise at the gym even with AC in high heat?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was out at 6:30 today running around my local lake in IL.. and it was already 80 something I believe. Sucked major *kitten* but the important part is I did it.

Exercise is going to be beneficial heat or not heat.. just don't push too hard and make sure to drink plenty of water!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yep. I will still work out. Our gym feels REALLY hot lately, but I just consider it a bonus.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The swimming pool is my best friend right now! :)
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I still work out, but it can really slow me down...kind of scared for my 5k tomorrow!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The only workouts I can do are in a pool at the moment. It's literally so hot in my bedroom that my legs are KILLING me after just walking around.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I still work out, but it can really slow me down...kind of scared for my 5k tomorrow!

Oh my! Good luck!!!
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    I did a25 min walk around my subdivion, then went right to the pool... its mad hot!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    stay hydrated.
    rest if you're pushing to hard or becoming overly fatigued.
    stay hydrated.
    stay hydrated.

but yes...i'm still exercising.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I haven't been walking the past few days, because my 3 year old daughter wants to go with me, and it's not safe for kiddos that age to be in this heat (110 at 4pm in Chicago today).
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It's bad out there and the only exercise I've gotten this week is walking from the couch to my bed. I feel like a slug all covered in slimy ooze and all I want to do is lay on the basement floor.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A lot of places are dealing with a heat wave right now.

Now for people like me, getting to the gym when it's 96 degrees out and 60% humidity and I don't have AC or working vents in my car and my gym is a 20 minute drive. Also I worked at one of my jobs, this one is fast food and it was HELLA HOT in there! Seriously I sweated the whole time.

I really wanted to exercise today, and I did, but even with the AC at the gym, I was sweating 10x more than usual.

Just curious if it's worth it to exercise at the gym even with AC in high heat?

YES!!! This same thing happened to me. The gym was extra packed with people and smelled like the zoo (Yuck). I felt like I was going to pass out doing my normal routine. I thought maybe they did not turn the AC up high enough until I went back outside and realized it was like a still like sauna at 10pm.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I go out at about 10 p.m. and run/walk. It's been about 90 still the last 2 nights. It's been hard, and I definitely walk more then run right now but I still do it. I don't have air in my house, so it's pretty hot once I get done.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you have to be careful in the heat and make sure to hydrate but my HRM is also showing much higher calorie burns than normal due to the heat, maybe don't have to go as long for the same calorie burn or you go extra and burn more.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Exercise bikes! We found a couple at local auctions for under $8.00 for both. No one seems to want them anymore. Try your local Goodwill, Thrift stores etc. and you can get one cheap. We do between 30 - 60 minutes aday with a nice fan going in the air conditioning at the house. Too hot to walk right now. Minnesota warm right now.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Cycled 20 miles in 102 degree heat yesterday. Texas heat is just something we get used to.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In crazy heat I find that I drink way more water, sweat more, and eat way less, so I don't feel too bad about not getting the same amount of exercise in. However, whoever said swimming was right on the money. Go jump in a lake, it feels amazing!
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I commented on this on my status update. Yeah, my gym has been much hotter the last couple days than it usually is. They must just keep the AC on the same number regardless of the fact it's 110 degrees outside, so I get much hotter working out. It affected my lift today because I would tire out during my sets quicker than I normally would, and I'd sometimes be too exhausted to finish my set.

Of course it's still worth working out even though it's hotter than normal, but I'm not going to be discouraged that I wasn't able to finish some sets because I was much hotter and more exhausted than I normally would be. I'll just perform better next time when hopefully it cools down a little bit.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I still work out.... went on a 2 hr ride this morning. It was 84 when we left, and 92 when we got back. Ugh......

It's hot, but if you are careful, you can still work out.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    I occasionally do hot yoga (105 degree room, some humidity). You should be hydrating your body all day before putting yourself into intensely heated situations. Than while working out, you should be able to go 20-30 minutes before needing to take a drink and even than you take sips until you are done, than you can guzzle it. You will move slower in the heat, but that's okay. Maybe focus on flexibility. And listen to your body! If you feel dizzy, STOP. If you feel nauseous STOP. Just keep drinking water throughout the day.

But if the heat is not for you, like others have said, try early morning or after sunset after it has cooled down. I haven't gone to hot yoga class because it's been hot out so I just do yoga in the park after sunset. I run early morning when it's cool out (80 degrees but it feels cool.)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Drink water, start early! ;) I went out at 8am on the 4th of July for my laps & stairs and it was stupid how red my face was by 9am. Never doing that again. I usually go out at 6am. It's still cool out and doesn't get much worse by 7. I also live in NorCal, our next heat wave is coming this week but I get to escape to the coast! HAHA SUCKERS... oof, that was cruel I know. What is this insanity I'm hearing of 122 in Michigan?? That is unholy.