Heat Wave affecting exercise??

Options

Replies

• epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Reading some of these responses, I think the question also depends on what kind of exercise you're doing. The more intense exercises will probably be limited more than one of endurance. If you're just doing endurance cardio, you'll get dehydrated faster and maybe tired a bit faster, but it probably won't affect you too much. If you're doing some intense exercises like sprints or compound weightlifting, you'll probably reach the point of exhaustion much sooner where you literally cannot push any more, and then it'll obviously affect your exercise. But yeah, listen to your body and stay hydrated.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Drink water, start early! ;) I went out at 8am on the 4th of July for my laps & stairs and it was stupid how red my face was by 9am. Never doing that again. I usually go out at 6am. It's still cool out and doesn't get much worse by 7. I also live in NorCal, our next heat wave is coming this week but I get to escape to the coast! HAHA SUCKERS... oof, that was cruel I know. What is this insanity I'm hearing of 122 in Michigan?? That is unholy.

It's hotter in Chicago IL than it is in Phoenix AZ.

Now that is unholy.. and wrong!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Walk laps at the mall !! Lots of a/c there. If you can keep up with the mall walkers, you are doing great !!
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at home in my AC, but the AC cant keep all of the humidity out, so I have been sluggish and more tired because of it. :-/
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what to do because only you know your body, but I did my workout today. I have AC but it's not the greatest. In between sets, I stood in front of the AC, and drank a few gulps of ice cold water. I was dripping sweat once I was done with my workout, but it was worth it.

If you think your body can handle it, go for it, but if not, take the day off. This weather is brutal!

p.s. It's over 100 degrees here in Chicago. I hate summer so much.:sick:
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Waiting until 9pm to run (I'd wait later but I don't like running alone after dark) sucks. It will still be 29 degrees C and humid. Gotta do it though.
  • MauC25K
    MauC25K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We've started calling our zumba class bikram zumba, we do it in a garage with no A/C. I actually like all the sweating in that class. Running is a differenct story so I just set my alarm for 5:30 so that I can go early ... this heat is killing us here in DC.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The swimming pool is my best friend right now! :)
    You said it honey:wink:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I picked up a running habit at just the wrong time& I'm an evening walker but even afterdark it's 99 degrees out! At least there's less competition for sidewalk space.
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ran and did a ton of exersizes in 90 degree heat the last 4 days :D
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was on the trail at 6am this morning and it was already closing in on 85. The humidity was much worse today and it was the first day it truly bothered me. I will stay in and do my own workout until the heatwave is over.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People are always looking for an excuse not to exercise.
    Too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry....whatever.

JUST DO IT!
    Nothing gets in the way of exercise when a person is truly motivated.
    No Excuses!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Doesn't effect me I workout at home.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have been getting my run in 3 times a week but I am doing it at 5am to try to beat the heat. This morning I just couldn't get the whole run in, the humidity was getting to me and I couldn't catch my breath. So I came home. Listen to your body!!!! and Stay hydrated!!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it's HOTT, every summer, because well it's summer. i just tell myself this every time i attempt to complain. but i'm so used to the heat now and sweating in general that it as long as i have water in my system, all throughout the day from start to finish, i'm good. so to answer thee question, yes exercise.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    YES! I feel so slimy and clammy....it's gross. It's been so hot in NJ. It's finally starting to cool off now that the sun is going down. I think it's about 81 degrees in my house, so that means I can finally exercise. I'll probably be wired and walking around my house at 3:00 a.m, but it's better than skipping my workout! It's so easy to do when it's this disgusting, and 1 day can easily turn into 10.
  • Glamorous_RN
    Glamorous_RN Posts: 204
    Options
    Nope, I dont get affected by the heat wave or anything, i work out at home too: comfortable, privacy, and convenient. Heh.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It is hot. I am not info summer at all. We don't have AC and I work out at home. I do it in the basement which is usually at least a *few* degrees cooler but barely much difference. I do my best to keep drinking and am a puddle of sweat when I am done.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't let the heat derail me. I go out and run at 5am, then do my evening workout indoors.
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I plan on running tomorrow morning! Out by 7am to beat the heat! Walked tonight, but just for something different! :ohwell: