Flat irons ?

Options
13»

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just curly hair, anyone want to trade?

I can blow dry my hair (about 1 inch from my waist, takes about 40 mins) and it looks like I flat ironed it. Seriously bone bone straight. Pretty much won't hold a curl.

I'm almost ready to cut it off for locks of love. It really is the longest I've ever had it, but, it takes sooo much shampoo and conditioner.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    How often do you flat iron?

Do you like your curls/waves?

I flat iron my hair almost everyday. I know that isn't good to do. I normally set it to 400 degrees but I just tried it at 360 and it worked just as good if not better. I don't really like it curly because it always gets frizzy and it takes four hours to air dry. If I use a blow dryer on it it just gets huge and frizzy. I always use a heat protection spray so hopefully that helps.

Well if you flat iron your hair daily, no wonder it's frizzy! Heat DAMAGES hair, especially 400 degrees of it! Even 360 is too much. 320 is the absolute highest that is recommended.

I guarantee you that if you went on naturallycurly.com or longhaircommunity.com and learnt how to take care of your hair, you wouldn't have to worry about frizz so much.

I had frizzy damaged hair from mistreatment and too much heat. Now, about 87% heat free and natural and my hair is awesome :-)

By the way, you don't flat iron your hair while it's wet or damp, do you?

Haha..I was going to write almost word for word. Long hair community unite!! : D

I have hated my hair all my life..and would look enviously at all the long haired girls with glossy pin straight hair.
    I have spent years trying to force my naturally very dry and wavy/curls into the same style.
    Educate yourself on how to work with curly hair. If not treated right it will dry up and just look frizzy which means you are stuck throwing expensive treatments and continuing to straighten it daily just to keep it presentable.

I have put my GHD away now and my hair is finally starting to have loose defined curls instead of a witchy looking damaged frizz. My goal is to get the length to the small of my waist and after learning how to look after it I am finally seeing length (6 inches to go to goal).

If you decide to join the forums at long hair community look me up! : ) I am JadeRabbit (no number) there as well.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have a Royale. I got talked into buying it from one of those kiosks at the mall, and I haven't regretted it for a second. I got it for half price (It's supposed to be $300). It straightens my unruly hair amazingly fast, and I can even use it to curl my hair too! It hasn't damaged my hair - it uses the natural oils in your hair and distributes them or something like that, I don't remember the science behind it, but it works hahaha :tongue: You could probably find it online for a good price.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My sister (who is a hairdresser) got me a Babyliss and I love it.

It has temp settings and it doesn't damage your hair as long as you don't use too high of a temp for your hair type.

My sister always likes to remind me that just because the max temp is almost 500, doesn't mean I have to set it to that. To quote her, "Chicken cooks at 350." :laugh:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've had a Paul Mitchell flat iron for about 4 years and it still works great. I set mine to about 340 degrees and it doesn't damage my hair. Make sure you're using some kind of serum or heat protecting spray before you flat iron. You should also get a big, round bristle brush so that you can learn to dry your hair the way stylists do. I have difficult, crazy textured hair, but now that I can blow dry my hair the right way (on low heat, not high) it comes out better than with a flat iron.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist.....i use an infrashine redline flatiron, and ive had it for about 3 years and it still works really good. It cost me about 140 dollars, not sure what the retail price would be to the public though
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    BABYLISS NANO!!! I have several irons and this is what my stylist uses so I broke down and bought the 1.5 inch....LOVE IT! I don't flat iron it that much anymore because it's so long now but when I do it's twice as fast and looks great!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use a Croc. WAAAAY better than my Chi ever was.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    How often do you flat iron?

Do you like your curls/waves?

I flat iron my hair almost everyday. I know that isn't good to do. I normally set it to 400 degrees but I just tried it at 360 and it worked just as good if not better. I don't really like it curly because it always gets frizzy and it takes four hours to air dry. If I use a blow dryer on it it just gets huge and frizzy. I always use a heat protection spray so hopefully that helps.

Well if you flat iron your hair daily, no wonder it's frizzy! Heat DAMAGES hair, especially 400 degrees of it! Even 360 is too much. 320 is the absolute highest that is recommended.

I guarantee you that if you went on naturallycurly.com or longhaircommunity.com and learnt how to take care of your hair, you wouldn't have to worry about frizz so much.

I had frizzy damaged hair from mistreatment and too much heat. Now, about 87% heat free and natural and my hair is awesome :-)

By the way, you don't flat iron your hair while it's wet or damp, do you?

Haha..I was going to write almost word for word. Long hair community unite!! : D

I have hated my hair all my life..and would look enviously at all the long haired girls with glossy pin straight hair.
    I have spent years trying to force my naturally very dry and wavy/curls into the same style.
    Educate yourself on how to work with curly hair. If not treated right it will dry up and just look frizzy which means you are stuck throwing expensive treatments and continuing to straighten it daily just to keep it presentable.

I have put my GHD away now and my hair is finally starting to have loose defined curls instead of a witchy looking damaged frizz. My goal is to get the length to the small of my waist and after learning how to look after it I am finally seeing length (6 inches to go to goal).

If you decide to join the forums at long hair community look me up! : ) I am JadeRabbit (no number) there as well.

I'm on the long hair community! Quixotica over there :)

And oh - I RARELY use my flat iron anymore ;)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I'm on the long hair community! Quixotica over there :)

And oh - I RARELY use my flat iron anymore ;)

Woot! Yep same I havent straightened my hair in 12 months now.