can you lose weight with unhealthy food

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    sure. but why WOULD you?
    Because some people want to enjoy the occasional piece of birthday cake or a hot dog when they go to a baseball game, but they're trained to think the tiniest amount of fat or sugar is going to pack the pounds back on. More people need to learn moderation over deprivation.

Word.

When I say "I've lost weight eating ice cream, cookies and fast food" what I really mean is, "over the last 6 months I've lost weight incorporating these things into an otherwise healthy and nutritious diet."

Why don't people understand that?
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat a small portion of chocolate basically everyday if I have calories left at the end of the day. I mean a small portion. One snack size bar, or a couple of mini pb cups, or one lindor truffle ball. It's all about portion control.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yes. As much as I enjoy eating healthy, occasionally I have some crap food, and I'm okay with that. But too much and all you're learning to do is restrict calories, not eat/live healthier...so not a great recipe for long-term success.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    I dont mean eating only unhealthy food I meant just having an unhealthy treat not a whole meal
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm not sure 'bout everyone else, but when I'm eating rather healthfully for a good week and a half and I have a scoop of Baskin Robbins mint chip with rainbow sprinkles, my brain is like OH GOD YES, but my body and tummy is all WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, HERE HAVE YOURSELF A HEADACHE FROM ALL THAT EXTRA SUGAR YOU JERK!

Haha, might just be a tad exaggerating but hey, gotta listen to ya body. And for me personally, I can only have my treats eeeeeeevery once in a while! If you want your treats, fit 'em in! It's not like you're training in the 100m Olympic hurdles! xD
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I see a lot of people take an all or nothing stance on weight loss. I've tried this - more than once and every single time, I gave up and gained all the weight back and more.

This time.. well, this time I vowed it would be different. Instead of making foods off limits, I simply learned to eat them in moderation. Instead of an entire package of cookies, I only eat the serving size of them.

I've lost nearly 60lbs and I've kept it off since Sept 2010. I eat M&M's in my Greek yogurt everyday. I eat cookies every single day. I've had all kinds of blood work and tests done (I have a lot of nasty illnesses that plague my family and I wanted to make sure I wasn't heading down the same road). Everything I've had done? "Excellent" or "textbook perfect".

So, the answer to your question is yes. You can lose weight, keep it off AND be healthy even while enjoying unhealthy foods. It's all about balance.

Too many people put so much focus on losing weight that they forget this is the only life you have to live - don't live it feeling resentful over FOOD. For heaven's sake, if you want birthday cake - have it. If you want a hot dog - have it. If you want chips - have it. Simply do it in moderation.

I will say that since I've changed my eating habits a lot of things I used to love (donuts, Mt Dew and even the occasional fast food item) are no longer appealing. They aren't "off limits", I just don't want them anymore.

Whole-heartedly agree. I'm sure it works for some, but not everyone.

Don't feel bad about eating things you like once in a while. In fact, I'm sure if you wanted you could have a little treat every day (as long as it isn't, y'know, a tub of lard or something) and still get away with it.

Moderation works better then deprivation. Forcing yourself to give ups foods you enjoy will only depress you.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes... but it's not the right way.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    Ugh, so sick of food snobbery on here. Why would you? Simple - 'cause this is a lifestyle change and LIFE happens sometimes. Birthday parties happen, Christmas happens, nights out happen, bad days happen, social occasions and celebration happens and i'm tired of people preaching that it's not okay to spend those calories a little less wisely from time-to-time. The goal is weight-loss and overall health FOREVER and forever is a long time not to enjoy your food if you are typically someone who does. It is OKAY to treat yourself now and then. Weight-loss and health is still possible even if you occasionally eat junk food. It's all about how you approach that type of food mentally. Appreciate it for what it is, keep it to a minimum and eat healthily the majority of your time.

THIS! I'm really alarmed at how many people are saying it's 'wrong' to have a treat now and again.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My dad used to lose weight by going to McDonald's everyday. It's not going to be good for you, but yeah, you can still lose weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What makes a food "unhealthy" vs "healthy"?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Can you eat unhealthy food as well as healthy food and still lose weight if you are still under you're calorie intake?

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can you eat unhealthy food as well as healthy food and still lose weight if you are still under you're calorie intake?

Read my blog, might help you a bit. I eat what I want when I want.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have not "removed" anything from my normal foods. I have just learned to proportion them better to fit within my calories. Plus, I find I don't "need" them as much as I used to. I do look for better options without consciencely doing it! find what works for you! U need to "play" with your food to find out what will and will not benefit you! I still bake all the time. I am just more aware of what is in what I have made, so I know what I can allow myself to have!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.

EXACTLY !!!!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You can indeed, but personally I wouldn't use all my calories every day on unhealthy food as it would probably mean that you were not taking in vital nutrients which will have an effect on your body such as poor skin, thinning hair etc
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    I see a lot of people take an all or nothing stance on weight loss. I've tried this - more than once and every single time, I gave up and gained all the weight back and more.

This time.. well, this time I vowed it would be different. Instead of making foods off limits, I simply learned to eat them in moderation. Instead of an entire package of cookies, I only eat the serving size of them.

I've lost nearly 60lbs and I've kept it off since Sept 2010. I eat M&M's in my Greek yogurt everyday. I eat cookies every single day. I've had all kinds of blood work and tests done (I have a lot of nasty illnesses that plague my family and I wanted to make sure I wasn't heading down the same road). Everything I've had done? "Excellent" or "textbook perfect".

So, the answer to your question is yes. You can lose weight, keep it off AND be healthy even while enjoying unhealthy foods. It's all about balance.

Too many people put so much focus on losing weight that they forget this is the only life you have to live - don't live it feeling resentful over FOOD. For heaven's sake, if you want birthday cake - have it. If you want a hot dog - have it. If you want chips - have it. Simply do it in moderation.

I will say that since I've changed my eating habits a lot of things I used to love (donuts, Mt Dew and even the occasional fast food item) are no longer appealing. They aren't "off limits", I just don't want them anymore.

Whole-heartedly agree. I'm sure it works for some, but not everyone.

Don't feel bad about eating things you like once in a while. In fact, I'm sure if you wanted you could have a little treat every day (as long as it isn't, y'know, a tub of lard or something) and still get away with it.

Moderation works better then deprivation. Forcing yourself to give ups foods you enjoy will only depress you.

A tub of lard? You mean i can't eat that if i want to? Ohhh, DAMN, that's going to be tough to give up, lol.
    You got a funny idea of what a treat is don't'cha? ;-) J/K, lol.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Um, cos it's delicious?

I understand where your at right now, but I can say that at first it might be difficult to change what you eat..but your taste buds just like everything else change and as a positive side effect so does what you think is delicious!

Jump on board and get healthy, live longer and happier :)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    my taste buds will never not love ice cream. that's just crazy talk.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    (what's more? they CAN like ice cream. why? because it's good. it's enjoyable. and it isn't going to kill me. hell, it isn't even going to hurt me. I promise. some of the most fit people on here eat ice cream more often than I do.)

on tap tonight?

GetImage.aspx?vector=SzHlamUgu5h5YY9+jbBW2ONgRpRqCxtWAZbG+kWHrkke21xRZClo8jdaqitFi03g
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    my taste buds will never not love ice cream. that's just crazy talk.

^This!! LOL. I still eat slightly unhealthy once a week. Not crazy bad, but yeah, I don't make 100 percent healthy choices all week. I do though the majority of the time. I eat a big salad every day, lots of veggies and fruits. But I also eat greek fries once in a great while, or a bowl of ice cream occasionally, or a donut on rare occasions. But I make sure I work out hard 6 days a week.