Tracking Calories...a diet killer

Options

Replies

• Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I never said avocados are bad, they just are when you are DIETING. You can get the same nutrients from other sources that will help you feel more SATISFIED physically in your stomach.

I've noticed a few things going on in your threads. Easy, satisfying, filling, etc. Most of your points are way off base and nowhere near what this site is about. This site is not about dieting, depriving, or missing out. It's about support, education and lifestyle changes for a healthier person. If you'd like, compare it to AA. "It works if you work it, so work it cause you're worth it" You can't cut corners there, and you certainly can't cut corners here. Work the program.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    I never said avocados are bad, they just are when you are DIETING. You can get the same nutrients from other sources that will help you feel more SATISFIED physically in your stomach.

I've noticed a few things going on in your threads. Easy, satisfying, filling, etc. Most of your points are way off base and nowhere near what this site is about. This site is not about dieting, depriving, or missing out. It's about support, education and lifestyle changes for a healthier person. If you'd like, compare it to AA. "It works if you work it, so work it cause you're worth it" You can't cut corners there, and you certainly can't cut corners here. Work the program.

I've noticed I don't honestly believe you know what you are talking about.

When dieting and exercising you want to be satisfied and filled. I never said "easy" (that I can recall) anywhere on this thread.

You have completely misinterpreted everything I have posted.
  • ultim8fury
    ultim8fury Posts: 42
    Options
    To me there are no bad foods, I eat whatever I want as long as I have the calories to support it, and I have lost over 22 pounds since May.

This ^ 100%

screw diets, If I want to eat something I will, but I will pay for it in exercise or reduced portions for the rest of the day. In order to do that, you have to have at least a rough idea of what your input and outputs are.
  • Seahawks909
    Options

If you notice, I am only responding to people who are on the offensive. there have been 20 people disagree I haven't talked to. The whole point was for opinion not how stupid I am for not counting calories.

Just to be clear, I DONT think it's stupid to not count calories. If anyone is capable of eating roughly the right amount of food, (without having to entirely eliminate enjoyable foods) to reach their fitness/body composition/health goals without tracking things, then absolutely do it.

I just don't think the majority can.

Right. I mean, I use to not care really at all what I ate because I had a good 30 minute cardio/heavy weightlifting thing going on and I wanted to gain weight (okay, let me clear that up, I cared to the point I wouldn't eat fastfood or desserts, but I would put toppings/sauces on my food and add sugar to my coffee)

but then I got tendinitis in both arms and well that sucked
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    To me there are no bad foods, I eat whatever I want as long as I have the calories to support it, and I have lost over 22 pounds since May.

This ^ 100%

screw diets, If I want to eat something I will, but I will pay for it in exercise or reduced portions for the rest of the day. In order to do that, you have to have at least a rough idea of what your input and outputs are.

I don't disagree with this, I am just saying for me personally, id rather have less calorie dense food and larger portions of food that will actually fill me up and keep me from gaining fat. Thats all.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. Imagine we had no idea what caused weight loss. We just had to stumble along wondering if it was certain foods or meal times or what position we slept in or what.

We're very lucky that not only do we know exactly what causes it but we have tools to easily and semi-accurately track calories in vs. out. So it just seems like the easiest, most logical way, given what we know.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    DISAGREE!!! When I first started tracking my calories and other nutrients, I was surprised at how much I was actually eating. I think for me IT IS A MUST. Even after 6 months of logging my meals, I was shocked the other day at how many I had at a July 4th barbecue and I ate less than most of the adults there.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For the record: I've never given up avocados. I love them too much and they are extremely nutritious. I work the calories in and don't regret it. Same for nuts. There is a point in this journey, when "filling up" stops being a goal and truly healthy food works for you regardless of the calorie count - it all balances out -
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For the record: I've never given up avocados. I love them too much and they are extremely nutritious. I work the calories in and don't regret it. Same for nuts. There is a point in this journey, when "filling up" stops being a goal and truly healthy food works for you regardless of the calorie count - it all balances out -

Well said.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

This ^ 100%

I don't disagree with this, I am just saying for me personally, id rather have less calorie dense food and larger portions of food that will actually fill me up and keep me from gaining fat. Thats all.

I would, too, but at the end of the day when you're thinking maybe a little ice cream would be nice, not a bowl of green beans, and your mind says "come on, you've earned it, you've eaten fabulously light all day", how do we know if we really can afford the ice cream or if we're fooling ourselves with our eyeballing of our diet? I'm not willing to never have calorie-dense food. And I seem bad at eyeballing when it's appropriate, if I don't track something. I think most people are bad at eyeballing. We're hard-wired to store calories for times of famine and the mind helps to that end.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I always thought the same thing but now that I'm using MFP I have changed my tune! It makes it so easy (especially with the phone app) that it has now just become part of my routine.
  • chikkenlikken
    chikkenlikken Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You don't have to track calories. It works for some people, but not everyone. You just do what works for YOU! More power to you!
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i actually really enjoy counting my calories...and i also weigh pretty much everything before i eat it, to make sure my calorie counts are correct. down 36 in about 6 months, and still losing. :)
  • pokeehammie
    pokeehammie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried lots and lots of diets with the ultimate goal to be thin. When a friend at work told me about this site, I said "Okay, let's give this a try. Everything else has failed, so what could it hurt?"
    I began MFP on February 15th with my husband who had to do something because of a health scare. As of July 7th, both of us have lost 64 pounds. I enjoy tracking the calories and recording everything (even gum). It makes you aware of all the things we put in our mouths without even thinking. And no I don't want to count calories all my life, but if it is working, why not use all the tools available to help you?
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Counting calories (for me) is the only way i can have control over how much i eat. I feel this is one of the ways that will help me reach my goal weight.................along with exercise of course.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    counting calories is so easy and it leaves no doubt as long as you are measuring correctly.(digital scale)

i bet the success rate is much higher with people who count calories correctly.
  • Seahawks909
    Options

This ^ 100%

I would, too, but at the end of the day when you're thinking maybe a little ice cream would be nice, not a bowl of green beans, and your mind says "come on, you've earned it, you've eaten fabulously light all day", how do we know if we really can afford the ice cream or if we're fooling ourselves with our eyeballing of our diet? I'm not willing to never have calorie-dense food. And I seem bad at eyeballing when it's appropriate, if I don't track something. I think most people are bad at eyeballing. We're hard-wired to store calories for times of famine and the mind helps to that end.

But the thing about this that bothers me personally is, how do you really know 1800 calories the exact right amount for your body? My take on this is (okay, I want that ice cream I have two choices: Eat less in the day or 2) throw in 10 minutes worth of cardio to make up for it) and of course who REALLY knows how many calories you lose in 10 minutes of cardio. None of these sciences are exact, but I can promise if you took either approach, you'd be and wouldn't gain anything.

To me, if the calories listed in food are 100% accurate and you could accurately know 100% how many calories you have really eaten, how your body metabolizes all of it etc. then that would help.

But Im not disagreeing with you, thats just my opinion.

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR: I am NOT disagreeing with anyone that counting calories can be helpful to MANY people, it just isnt for ME.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Logging my meals is the only thing that works for me. Otherwise, it's too easy to live in denial about what I'm actually putting into my body. Logging also has the added bonus that it makes me more keenly aware of my nutrition, which is just as important to me as my weight.
  • loveorganic
    loveorganic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree with the above post. I really enjoying everything about counting calories. Researching the nutrition, altering recipes, but if you don't enjoy it... you don't enjoy it!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is the only thing that works for me. I track protein, fibre, carbs too but it's the calories that I adjust depending on my weight loss goals

Sadly I become obsessed and spend ages on spreadsheets etc!
This discussion has been closed.