Tracking Calories...a diet killer

Options

Replies

• Andromeda173
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of people are saying here...we're not here for a "diet" in the traditional eat-this-not-that-for-X-weeks-then-return-to-an-unhealthy-normal sense. Classifying foods as "good" or "bad" leads to unhealthy things, like depriving yourself of that thing you love only to binge because few can handle a zero-tolerance diet for a sustainable length of time, or losing the weight and then gaining it all back because you return to your old habits.
    For me, counting calories is very helpful. I'm much more aware of how much things "cost" calorie-wise. Will I count forever? Probably not, but by that time I'll know how much I should be eating per day, so I won't eat much differently from when I was counting.
    Also, when you reach your goal, you then eat "maintenance" calories for your new weight, so you get to eat a bit more.
    Just my thoughts.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well if you are dieting, what is the point to eat a smaller amount of calories now, just go back and eat more later?
    If it is a lifestyle change, are you really going to count calories your entire life?
    Probably.
    If I don't count calories my whole life it will be because I have a food scale and I will have me memorized
    how many calories X cut of meat is. But i will probably still be counting them in my head. just because you "think" you know what the correct portion is doesn't mean you are always right.
    Also "correct" portions are not the same for everyone, because everyone is different. so many people benefit from learning "okay the package says 1 cup is a serving but I do better a 3/4 cup" or "I was still hungry after that cup so ?I ate 1.25 and still lost weight"
    etc. Some people need to learn what a portion is. And some people will count calories forever.
  • NessaTesla
    NessaTesla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the goal of tracking calories is for you to be aware what you're putting into your body and what's the output you get out of the fuel. 300 calories of french fries SEEMS fine on a diet, but if it leaves you sluggish and tired, those were calories poorly spent. I feel like a lot of people, dieters or otherwise, don't really think about all the hidden junk they put in your body. When I first started, I counted every little thing I ate, and tried to overestimate amounts if I couldn't be sure exactly how much I ate. Now I'm a little more relaxed because I am better at eyeballing (I know how much an ounce of almonds looks in the palm of my hand, I know how many carbohydrates are in my salad. I don't have to be strict anymore, because I'm more naturally aware of the nutrients of my food.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Well if you are dieting, what is the point to eat a smaller amount of calories now, just go back and eat more later?
    If it is a lifestyle change, are you really going to count calories your entire life?
    Probably.
    If I don't count calories my whole life it will be because I have a food scale and I will have me memorized
    how many calories X cut of meat is. But i will probably still be counting them in my head. just because you "think" you know what the correct portion is doesn't mean you are always right.
    Also "correct" portions are not the same for everyone, because everyone is different. so many people benefit from learning "okay the package says 1 cup is a serving but I do better a 3/4 cup" or "I was still hungry after that cup so ?I ate 1.25 and still lost weight"
    etc. Some people need to learn what a portion is. And some people will count calories forever.

I like this post. I still wonder how accurate labels are, though. Ive always been curious. There is a possibility that people who believe they are really eating 1800 could be actually be eating between 1600-2000
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Tracking is how you succeed
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if somebody is overweight (barring medical issues) -- not paying close attention to portion sizes, nutrition info and activity level is PROBABLY how they got there.

I've counted calories consistently for 8 years. It's a lifestyle -- not a diet.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree somewhat, however so far I haven't been able to lose weight without counting calories. I do sometimes feel imprisoned and I am dying to just eat something without weighing and measuring and logging it first. It becomes a real drag.

I am hoping that when I get to my goal weight I can just try to eat healthier, eat good portions and eyeball most stuff, and keep track of my weight diligently so if I do see an increase maybe I'll go back to logging again to stay on track. But yet, I think it works very well, but for me personally logging isn't something I can sanely do every day for the rest of my entire life.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Studies show, and I'm proof, that logging what you eat substantially contributes to losing weight. Have you been successful losing weight without logging what you eat? I guess that would be your barometer.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Honestly, if somebody is overweight (barring medical issues) -- not paying close attention to portion sizes, nutrition info and activity level is PROBABLY how they got there.

I've counted calories consistently for 8 years. It's a lifestyle -- not a diet.

For me, it wasn't portion sizes per se...It was just a lot of alcohol. I have been physically fit the past 3 years but turning 21 has been a nightmare for me (+college)

I lost an inital 25lbs and kept it off for 3 years because I changed what I liked to eat. I eventally (honestly) was disgusted by McDonalds, Taco Bell, ice cream. I was an obsessive exerciser until I tore both the tendons in my arm, I didn't do this form work out I did it from playing basketball incorrectly (bad shooting form after working out = bad idea) but not my body/mind has gone back to the cravings of McD's and what not. Personally, I know once I can get this off and cut out the booze that I probably won't need to worry about the total calories as much as knowing what I should stay away from.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. Studies show, and I'm proof, that logging what you eat substantially contributes to losing weight. Have you been successful losing weight without logging what you eat? I guess that would be your barometer.

I have lost a total of 75 lbs (25 on 3 different occasions) and did it healthfully without counting calories in a very quick pace (average 8 weeks for 25 lbs).

It came back from other reasons: abusing alcohol, health issues
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well I find it different for girls a guys.

I mean, when you go from fat food and lots (and lots) of beer to:

30 minutes of exercise a day
    Water
    Chicken/Ham/Turkey etc.
    Vegetables

I am willing to bet most people can figure what is going to happen to your body after 4-6 months of that. Not these are the only healthy choices but for the most part, I think you can guess what is going to overload you and what won't.

Not all guys eat lots of fat and drink lots of beer... I was eating healthy before counting calories but wasn't losing weight (wasn't gaining weight either though).

Personally, I actually really enjoy logging my calories... even when I wasn't, I was keeping mental track of approximately how many calories where in the food items I ate. I actually wouldn't mind logging my calories for the rest of my life even if I probably have 50+ years to go.

I agree that in maintenance it is perhaps less necessary to log everything especially if you're eating healthy and listening to your body when it has had enough and don't overeat. It still helps though to have a general idea of food composition and caloric value even then because it helps in making better, healthier choices.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Well I find it different for girls a guys.

I mean, when you go from fat food and lots (and lots) of beer to:

30 minutes of exercise a day
    Water
    Chicken/Ham/Turkey etc.
    Vegetables

I am willing to bet most people can figure what is going to happen to your body after 4-6 months of that. Not these are the only healthy choices but for the most part, I think you can guess what is going to overload you and what won't.

Not all guys eat lots of fat and drink lots of beer... I was eating healthy before counting calories but wasn't losing weight (wasn't gaining weight either though).

Personally, I actually really enjoy logging my calories... even when I wasn't, I was keeping mental track of approximately how many calories where in the food items I ate. I actually wouldn't mind logging my calories for the rest of my life even if I probably have 50+ years to go.

I agree that in maintenance it is perhaps less necessary to log everything especially if you're eating healthy and listening to your body when it has had enough and don't overeat. It still helps though to have a general idea of food composition and caloric value even then because it helps in making better, healthier choices.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was speaking of myself when I said lots and lots of beer.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    It seems to me that the goal of tracking calories is for you to be aware what you're putting into your body and what's the output you get out of the fuel. 300 calories of french fries SEEMS fine on a diet, but if it leaves you sluggish and tired, those were calories poorly spent. I feel like a lot of people, dieters or otherwise, don't really think about all the hidden junk they put in your body. When I first started, I counted every little thing I ate, and tried to overestimate amounts if I couldn't be sure exactly how much I ate. Now I'm a little more relaxed because I am better at eyeballing (I know how much an ounce of almonds looks in the palm of my hand, I know how many carbohydrates are in my salad. I don't have to be strict anymore, because I'm more naturally aware of the nutrients of my food.

Great post! That is what I am talking about.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Having to record the calories keeps you focused
    Yes it takes time, but during that time you are not eating things
    that you should not be!
    You are trying to change your life, this is part of that change
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!
    Tracking is how you succeed
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

When dieting and exercising you want to be satisfied and filled. I never said "easy" (that I can recall) anywhere on this thread.

I agree that most dieters want to be satisfied and filled. I know I do. For me (and this seems to be what some of the other people who disagree with you are saying) feeling satisfied and filled is not just about volume of food. Yes, eating a huge amount of low-calorie vegetables will fill you up, but it might not leave you feeling satisfied. Not you personally - it seems to be working for you. But in general, a person might not be fully satisfied. Protein and fat also play a large part in feeling full and satisfied over longer periods.

There is also the fact that a lot of dieters (not all) are looking for more from their food than just being full. They're also looking for adequate nutrients which include high-calorie fats.

I don't think anyone's saying you're stupid for not counting calories. Apart from a couple of sarcastic comments, I think people are just disagreeing with you. The vast majority of people on this website are tracking and counting their calories and/or macronutrients, so it's inevitable that if you start a thread calling calorie-counting a "diet killer", you're going to get some disagreement!

But, no, I certainly don't think you're stupid for not counting calories. I never thought I'd be a calorie counter, and if I could be a healthy weight without it, I would. I guess I'm the opposite from you in that I've struggled with other kinds of diets in the past, and counting calories is what made things work finally. 6 months in, and I still feel as motivated as I did when I started. I wish I could eat intuitively and trust my body to only eat what it needs. Sadly, I can't, so calorie-counting it is.

I like this post. I still wonder how accurate labels are, though. Ive always been curious. There is a possibility that people who believe they are really eating 1800 could be actually be eating between 1600-2000
    It's never going to be an exact science, but with careful logging and accurate measuring, most people will get a very good estimate.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore. I'm not losing weight as quickly as I did in the past but I prefer being able to enjoy food without worrying about exact numbers. I just eat reasonable portions. It is easy for me to become obsessive about counting calories so I'd rather just not do it for the sake of my mental health. It always got to the point where I would feel so pressured to stick to my goal intake so I'd overeat and just not log it. Which just defeats the point. I feel a lot better about myself and my body since I've stopped being obsessive about counting every single thing I eat. Ultimately it's about learning to be mindful.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm counting only to be able to learn how much is really in a portion. My stomach and brain are only really starting to communicate with each other, in terms of re-learning how much I need to eat and how much I want to. It's been working so far. Ideally, I'd like to be able to not have to count. <3
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore. I'm not losing weight as quickly as I did in the past but I prefer being able to enjoy food without worrying about exact numbers. I just eat reasonable portions. It is easy for me to become obsessive about counting calories so I'd rather just not do it for the sake of my mental health. It always got to the point where I would feel so pressured to stick to my goal intake so I'd overeat and just not log it. Which just defeats the point. I feel a lot better about myself and my body since I've stopped being obsessive about counting every single thing I eat. Ultimately it's about learning to be mindful.

Great post!

Thats how I feel, too.

I guess I shouldn't make my other thread "I don't weigh myself because I go by looks rather than wieght". That would probably piss a lot of people off haha. But I don't. I say I want to lose 20lbs but in reality after 20lbs if I look terrible in my eyes, then whats the difference? I just want to work out until I am happy, then maintain doesnt matter if its 30lbs or 25lbs or 40.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just like I told someone else...go eat 10 cans of greenbeans, you will feel FULL and you won't eat again today (ONLY 700 CALORIES, woo hoo!), I promise..because you know your stomach is a certain size...and physically your food is a certain size.

Why on earth would anyone only eat ten cans of green beans and/or feel happy about taking in 700 calories per day?

Anywho...

For me (and I'm not saying you need to agree with me), counting calories has taught me effective portion control, and nutritional makeup of foods. I eat 2000 calories per day, which includes a variety of foods, and I am meeting all of my nutritional requirements. I don't know if I would be as successful as I am without the aid of MFP.

Just my two cents.
This discussion has been closed.