Is running really something I can do?????

Options
I've been interested in running for some time now.
I feel its great cardio... no one can beat runners legs ( My legs have always been a great feature of mine, I can't imagine them being even better! But I would love to try!)
My husband is a former track and field person... loves to run! He is also looking back into running again and misses his former state, and I think this is something we could do together. :)
Problem is I can barely run for 1 minute straight. I've never enjoyed running... EVER.:noway:
Even when I was at my skinniest and ultimate hottttness, my boobs got in the way, I couldn't breathe, and my calf's hurt :laugh:
I know and believe that ANYONE can run... you just have to build it up...
But problem 2... I smoke. I am stopping in Sept. Its a must for some of the things I want to do, and it will DEF happen.... but I would love to start running NOW... and building now. I'm scared to stop smoking now,because I am still losing weight...and changing lifestyles is something I'm all about, but I can't change every single thing at once. I chose MFP and my fitness 1st, smoking 2nd. Is there a way I can start running now and be successful now? Should I wait? Are there any smokers/runners? LOL I'm guessing not. I would just like some advice.. But please don't turn it into a "smoking is bad for you topic" I know it is... I've accepted it, and I'm willing to change it... so we don't need to beat up Lauren because she smokes :) Please :wink:

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I know many folks have had success with the Couch to 5k program.

My husband is a runner and he finally talked me into running with him. Obviously, I don't run as far or as fast, but I'm trying to at least get out there and do it. I joined a running club that offered a beginners program and it has helped me tremendously. I only care to run 5k races and nothing more. A running club will offer all kinds of training from beginner to triathlons.

Personally, I'm a cyclist. I enjoy that much, much more.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can smoke and start running but it will be harder than if you didn't smoke.

I recommend you stop the tobacco and move to an electronic cigarette if you don't want to completely quit. You still get the nicotine but remove all the poisons. It replicates a normal cigarette closely enough that stepping tobacco is easy and weight gain not a problem.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never in my life believed that I would be a runner, but after doing it for over 4 years now, I think I am. I started by doing intervals, and then lengthening the amount of time I ran versus the walking part. Later, I was happy doing 3-4 miles every other day, and then I was running more like 4-6 each time. Miles that is. Almost two years ago, I watched as my brother completed a half marathon, and I also saw all of the other people, of all shapes and sizes, complete this race. I vowed then that I would do the next Denver Rock and Roll half marathon. Well, I trained for it, and I completed it last October. I am not very fast, but I did run the whole way. Then, I also completed my second half marathon, the Colorado Run, last May. I was five minutes faster.
    I really still wouldn't say that I am a runner, but I do run so that I can keep my weight under control and so I can eat more. I get up at 4:30 four days a week to do about six miles.
    To keep me in pretty good shape, I have decided to do one half marathon a year, and my husband and brother, have promised to do next year's Colorado Run.
    Anything's possible ;)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    C25K. I am at 269 pounds and am starting week 4 tomorrow. I don't smoke, but having this extra weight is probably like a "normal" person running while carrying another "normal" person on her back. Worth a shot anyway.

Good luck!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k

Looking into it :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I know many folks have had success with the Couch to 5k program.

My husband is a runner and he finally talked me into running with him. Obviously, I don't run as far or as fast, but I'm trying to at least get out there and do it. I joined a running club that offered a beginners program and it has helped me tremendously. I only care to run 5k races and nothing more. A running club will offer all kinds of training from beginner to triathlons.

Personally, I'm a cyclist. I enjoy that much, much more.

running club?? good idea :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    You can smoke and start running but it will be harder than if you didn't smoke.

I recommend you stop the tobacco and move to an electronic cigarette if you don't want to completely quit. You still get the nicotine but remove all the poisons. It replicates a normal cigarette closely enough that stepping tobacco is easy and weight gain not a problem.

I tried it... burned my lips lol ...
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    C25K. I am at 269 pounds and am starting week 4 tomorrow. I don't smoke, but having this extra weight is probably like a "normal" person running while carrying another "normal" person on her back. Worth a shot anyway.

Good luck!

I'm really thinking this is the way to go!! :)
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Bump for suggestions
  • fhamwey
    fhamwey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 k is great and run all you want and smoke. I had someone say to me once something like, are you kidding, you run and then smoke. That is horrible. I told them, it is better that I run and smoke than dont run at all and I kept on doing both. Any way, you won't want to smoke anymore once you really get to running. It will be harder to get where you want to be while smoking but once you start, hopefully the running will turn you off from the smoking. I am a former smoker now. I can't imagine smoking and running anymore but I still love the smell of someone else smoking! Just go for it! It will help with weight and if you do (which you will) eventually quit, you will have a great exercise so you won't gain weight from quitting.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Couch to 5 k is great and run all you want and smoke. I had someone say to me once something like, are you kidding, you run and then smoke. That is horrible. I told them, it is better that I run and smoke than dont run at all and I kept on doing both. Any way, you won't want to smoke anymore once you really get to running. It will be harder to get where you want to be while smoking but once you start, hopefully the running will turn you off from the smoking. I am a former smoker now. I can't imagine smoking and running anymore but I still love the smell of someone else smoking! Just go for it! It will help with weight and if you do (which you will) eventually quit, you will have a great exercise so you won't gain weight from quitting.

Thank you so much for posting this!! That is kind of what I am hoping for!! That I will get so into running... I will get annoyed with smoking and really truly WANT to quit because its hindering me ... Thank you :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k and LOVED it. I started at 219lbs one month after having a baby. I couldn't believe my progress. Just make sure you take it slow. I thought I was doing everything right, but I'm currently unable to run because of a possible stress fracture in my ankle (waiting for test results.) I can't wait to be able to run again and am amazed that I feel that way. I love it!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Also doing C25K... works great, and is easy. Free iOS/Android apps are available which make following the directions really easy.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be able to jog/run if my life depends on it. Until I discovered C25K app. I am on week 10 and jogged 30 minutes straight yesterday. This is from a person that couldn't even jog 2-3 minutes this time last year. YOU can do it :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting C25k in the next week. I was surprised that he said he wants to run a 5k in the fall. I don't like running at all, but I pretty much love sports and competing, so we're going to try it together. Plus if you run, you can start your kids later on.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! I was never a runner - hated it. Switched from basketball to volleyball in high school because there was less running. Always joked that I didn't run unless I was being chased - by something or someone I didn't want catching me. :tongue:

For whatever reason (the challenge, the cardio, the fact that you can run almost anywhere) I decided back in January that I needed to give running a shot. My hubby was dubious, he's been telling me for years that i needed to add running to my fitness, to which I always replied with a firm "DO NOT!". Haha.

Started c25k with the free app from Zen Labs (c25kFREE) on January 31st. Followed it exactly, no extra days, no skipped days, even worked it around jury duty! I was determined. Finished it late March, ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend and had a blast!

I'm still running - working on 10k now (needed another challenge), have my second 5k race coming up next weekend, and a Color Me Rad run in September. I ran over 5 miles this morning. I never ever would have believed I could do that had you asked me back in January. And I find that I'm actually liking it! If I miss a few days and happen to drive past my regular running route, I find myself longing to get out there and run.

Check out the program online - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Then find an app to put on your phone or iPod. Set a start date, make sure you've got good shoes, make sure you warm up well and stretch out afterwards and go for it! :bigsmile: And then start looking down the road about 9 weeks or so for 5k races in your area, and sign up! A race on the horizon is great motivation to stick with the program.

Have fun!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The high you get from running, and the progress you will start to see in your running ability doing C25K - will make you want to give up your smoking addiction for your new running addiction. I never thought I would love running. I was one of those who hated walking or using the stairs, circled the parking lot a long time for the close spot. I never even tried to run to catch a bus.

Best wishes to you on your new healthy lifestyle!
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    c25k is the best program that you can possibly get into since you would be considered a beginner runner. I did it and I ran track in highschool. It slowly builds your endurance up so that you don't burn out on the first day. Im almost to week 5 so I run 5 min rounds right now and I LOVE IT> I can do it without breath hard and that has never been me.

suggestions. Dont think you are in shape enough to skip weeks. start with week one and go from there.
    two: make sure you have running shoes before starting. Running shoes are designed so that as you run you get a better heal to toe movement. the are designed to provide shock absorbers and help with arch and foot protection. SO that is a must when you start a running program.

Also wear a heart-rate monitor so that you can track your calories. What i do is I test after each walk and after each run so that I can get a more accurate reading on calorie burned.
  • bli77
    bli77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi you can definitely come to love running. I started running about a year ago much like you because I so wanted to feel the love of running everyone talks about. When I started, I downloaded training programs to learn to run from the internet but still didnt love it Lately though i think ive experienced that turning point where i can say i love it Some of the keys of success that I recommend:

-be patient
    -increase your mileage by 1km each week. Build slowly...
    - get proper running shoes and dual layer socks from a running specialty store. Avoids shin splints, blisters and injury
    -for added motivation join a race in your area. So motivating running with others
    -join a run club. Makes you accountable and a great way to be w others sharing similar running goals
    -it's natural as competitive people to continue to track your run pace and time, but don't! It's one of the things that have helped me to love running. You're out to run because you love it. Remember you burn approximately 100 for every mile you run no matter how slow you run!

Good luck!