Breakfast! Can I get away with not eating it?!

Options

Replies

• apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You can if you don't want to lose weight. You need to keep your metabolism going, which means eating every 2-3 hours. If you can do that, then you will lose faster because your digestive enzymes have something to work on..
    Give it a try, even if it's only for 2 weeks. You'll feel better and your body will be happier.

Uh no. Not for everyone.

I can and did lose weight. Currently the thought of breakfast now is sortof revolting to me. Which is awesome. I am hardly hungry in the am now.

Now there are some people that just can't skip breakfast. That's fine if it keeps you from eating bad stuff. But i find for me that it did not hurt my metabolism and it actually helped. BIG TIME. It also made me more aware of when I was really hungry. After skipping breakfast I now find I am not hungry until 11:30 am which is when most people have their lunch.

But obviously skipping breakfast has caused me to waste away! Except it didn't.

(
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

I've recently had an epiphany. I'm not really hungry at breakfast, and when I do eat it, I'm STARVING all day. So it's not really helping me to eat breakfast. As long as you're getting enough nutrition, and you feel OK if you skip breakfast, go for it. You need to find what works for you, as long as it's healthy.

Love Martin Berkhan! I love leangains!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

]Well the idea is to eat when you're hungry and NOT wait till you're starving.

The problem is I was never hungry until evening, and then I was starving. When I started making myself eat throughout the day even though I didn't *feel* hungry, I started settling into a more sensible eating pattern.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast regularly, but do have moments I'll sleep in till Lunch, and eat that as planned. I don't think it really matters..but if you feel hungry during the day, you should eat.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can. I hate eating breakfast. I can never eat for 2-3 hours after waking up and if I do, I'm hungry all day and keep eating every couple of hours. As long as you eat the number of calories you're supposed to throughout the day, it doesn't matter how many meals you eat them in and at what time you eat them.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Food/nutrient timing is irrelevant. I often skip breakfast (just do coffee).
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I have to have a morning meal or I'd be starving by lunch time and would be tempted to binge. My brain works better when I eat in the morning too. I don't know how breakfast skippers function at their jobs before lunch time. If you've lost a lot of weight and are maintaining or are already at a healthy weight and don't eat breakfast: more power to you -- keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working for you. However, many people that are staunchly against eating breakfast are the same ones that are complaining that they can't lose weight. See article below:

"A new study shows that eating breakfast every single day is a key behavior among people who average a 60-pound weight loss and have kept it off for six years. The study in the Journal of Obesity Research was an ongoing look at successful maintainers of significant weight loss.

Nearly 80 per cent of them eat breakfast everyday as part of their routine to stay slender."

I've been maintaining a 52 lb. weight loss for a year and I never skip breakfast.

http://www.womenfitness.net/top10_no_skip_breakfast.htm
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Correlation

Causation
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if the people that think skipping breakfast slows your metabolism also believe they will get sick if they go outside with wet hair.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if the people that think skipping breakfast slows your metabolism also believe they will get sick if they go outside with wet hair.

HeeHee!!
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That whole metabolism thing is not true. Your body doesn't care when it eats. I do intermittent fasting. 14/10. I eat from about 11-12 till about 9 at night. I used to eat breakfast and little snacks. You know eating every two or three hours. It sucked. All I thought about was food. Now I just eat three meals a day and sometimes a snack before bed. I'm much happier now and not so obsessed with food. And I don't get hungry like I did before cause I can have higher calorie meals. I just stay within the guidlines MFP set for me. I've lost 37 pounds since April. I like it. I hope you can find a way of eating that makes you feel good.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm starving when I wake up, plus my work sometimes makes it tough to eat whenever I feel like it, so I always have breakfast. It helps that I really like it. :)

Everyone is different. If it makes you sick, I'd say don't do it.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    When did a figure competition a few years ago I was told to eat 2-3 hours. Maybe that's fine for a figue comp but was't good for my everyday maintaining life.

I was never hungry every 2-3 hours when i wasn't competing.

Anyways, I got into great shape for the competition. AFter the competition my body was used to eating 2-3 hours. My great shape I had for the contest went south really quick.

It's taken awhile to get my normal eating habits back and throwing the 2-3 hour model of eating to the curb. Starting with skipping breakfast was a great way to get that under control. Maybe I will never look like I did back when I walked on a stage but if I can avoid the weight gain after and just stay on track and maintain, I'll be skipping breakfast all the time.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I really love how people have convinced themselves that human beings are so f*cking fragile as to not be able to go without food for anything amounting to an extended period of time; that if they do this they will get ill, magically stop burning fat to meet energy needs or somehow actually produce extra energy to store on their *kitten* out of thin air.

Some of the responses to threads like these (not you OP, we're cool), make me want to beat these folks to death with a high school Physics text book.

To anyone who posts here sharing their story of how they fainted from doing something as simple as not eating breakfast or that by not eating breakfast demons possessed them and made them pig out on donuts in the office (butthathasnothingtodowithnotlosingweightomg!), please either see a doctor or in the latter case...give me a donut I'm on leangains yo.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Correlation

Causation

SCIENCE!

I love how it is obvious that people don't read the thread and then post the same old boring junk like "You have to eat every 2-3 hours to get your metabolism going" or "You have to eat breakfast so you get your metabolism working in the morning so you burn things" or "The only way to lose weight is to eat breakfast". All of those are FALSE!

I will admit, when I started, I fell for that BS too! Now, after talking to people knowledgeable and looking at actual scientific studies, I have realized how wrong I was... and how false those statements are. It is personal preference and not scientific fact.

Sometimes I think if someone said if you ate pickled herring while standing on your head singing "My Little Tea Pot" that you would boost your metabolism and lose weight that people would actually believe it.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When did a figure competition a few years ago I was told to eat 2-3 hours. Maybe that's fine for a figue comp but was't good for my everyday maintaining life.

I was never hungry every 2-3 hours when i wasn't competing.

Anyways, I got into great shape for the competition. AFter the competition my body was used to eating 2-3 hours. My great shape I had for the contest went south really quick.

It's taken awhile to get my normal eating habits back and throwing the 2-3 hour model of eating to the curb. Starting with skipping breakfast was a great way to get that under control. Maybe I will never look like I did back when I walked on a stage but if I can avoid the weight gain after and just stay on track and maintain, I'll be skipping breakfast all the time.

And April...if I could look like you, I would never eat breakfast again :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Personally I love breakfast. I wake up hungry and ready to eat every day.

If you are hungry for breakfast, eat it. If not, or if it makes you feel sick - I think it's fine if you want to skip. Just be sure to eat when you DO feel hungry, but not to the point where you feel like you're starving. Your brain runs best on glucose so when you start noticing those little hunger cues, it's time to eat. Good luck, I hope you find what works best for your body!
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast, and by lunch I would be ravenous and over-eat and feel gross all afternoon. I started to not allow myself my coffee until I ate something (the coffee was making me feel full, until the ravenous feeling took over) and I found my eating became more balanced through the day.

Now I start work super early, I have a smoothie on my drive in and a small bowl of oatmeal around 9-10 am, then salad for lunch.

For me, breakfast made a big difference :) But I think for stuff like that you need to just try it and listen to your body.

(PS - Hi I'm new here! I lost 35lbs on WW which I've maintained for 1yr, now I'm trying to lose a little more)
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    No, you have to eat something. Just pop in a few strawberries or something.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    No, you have to eat something. Just pop in a few strawberries or something.
    *headdesk*

Thanks for reading the 4 pages that came before you.