Not to eat in fast food places per their workers

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from fast food, icky stuff for the most part. But .... chicken nuggets melting when left out? How do they get cooked then? :)
    Exactly.
    Especially when you consider the 14 year old McDonalds hamburger....

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/man-finds-mcdonalds-hamburger-in-his-pocket-after-14-years

Burgers you cook at home do the exact same thing.

Which isn't surprising, considering the hamburger is made of nothing but a ground beef patty (only additives are salt and pepper) and a bun.
    Burgers I cook at home look the same after 14 years? umm. No. The bread most certainly doesn't.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from fast food, icky stuff for the most part. But .... chicken nuggets melting when left out? How do they get cooked then? :)
    Exactly.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/man-finds-mcdonalds-hamburger-in-his-pocket-after-14-years

Which isn't surprising, considering the hamburger is made of nothing but a ground beef patty (only additives are salt and pepper) and a bun.
    Burgers I cook at home look the same after 14 years? umm. No. The bread most certainly doesn't.

Maybe you make your own bread, I dunno.

But if you buy a typical bun in a grocery, remove it from the bag, and toss it on your counter... Then yes it does.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    1) i am, actually, surprised by some of this

2) i am very glad for good government regulation in my area

3) despite 1), i have eaten out really a lot, and so has everyone here, and we're all ok.
  • AlexandraStyles101
    Options
    I have only been to McDonalds once... but didn't even eat the food. I had a bad feeling about the almost "fuzzy" appearance of the "burger" sitting in front of me.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump to :sick: later
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yeah our fries are fired in the same 2 friers as our chicken plus god only knows what type of oil it is.

Oh and anther thing that grossed me out for no good reason is that we use gravy mix mixed with water then we add oil from the fryer to the gravy

And that oil has a build up of toxic substances that occurs when oils are used over and over. :sick:
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    When I worked at Wendys the chili was made ftom old burgers.. tossed into a 5 gal pail and putbin fridge. Gross.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Do you guys know if fast food restaurants fry their fries in the same oil in which they fry meat (if somebody has actually witnessed)

They have a separate deep fryer specifically for fries. They're not vegetarian though.

Yes, for sure, McDonald's adds beef tallow to their frying oil mixture. Ironically, it brings down the level of a certain toxin that vegetable oils form when used repeatedly. Here's a link to a discussion of the bio-chemistry of frying and its health dangers:

http://www.allenfiltersinc.com/sowhyexactlycanreusingfryingoilbedangeroustoyourhealth.cfm
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do you guys know if fast food restaurants fry their fries in the same oil in which they fry meat (if somebody has actually witnessed)

They have a separate deep fryer specifically for fries. They're not vegetarian though.

Yes, for sure, McDonald's adds beef tallow to their frying oil mixture. Ironically, it brings down the level of a certain toxin that vegetable oils form when used repeatedly. Here's a link to a discussion of the bio-chemistry of frying and its health dangers:

http://www.allenfiltersinc.com/sowhyexactlycanreusingfryingoilbedangeroustoyourhealth.cfm

McDonalds doesn't use beef tallow in their oil anymore gosh darnit because that made the BEST french fry. Vegetarians complained and so they changed the oil to what they use now which is pretty tasteless and I haven't had a McD fry since!!
  • iamferf2
    iamferf2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Wendy's Chili is not made like that (at least it's not supposed to be). I worked at Wendy's as a teenager for a while and the meat for the chili comes in a separate bag, pre seasoned and pre cooked. Just add water.

And if that fact is untrue, I can only assume that the rest are also probably untrue as well.

At the Wendy's YOU worked at it didn't happen... but you can't speak for them all.

I have eaten chili from wendy's where i would have SWORN that it was old hamburgers. To be honest, i consdered it resourceful and not gross. I see nothing wrong with reducing waste.

I feel the same way! I have to question, do none of you who are yammering about how disgusting it is to reuse the food NEVER eat leftovers in your home?? That is simply irresponsible and wasteful IMO.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't know about nuggets turning into liquid, I worked at a McDonald's many many years ago but my manager was a perfectionist so things were not left out. Although my niece who is 12 calls them goop.

I think any place that serves food could have their dirty little secrets, depends on the management and the pressure they are under to keep costs down, I mean I managed retail stores and my dm's would call me daily making demands that required me to cut corners to survive, good thing food wasn't involved. Every month I had to go over a list of expenses and clarify everything down to the electric bill, can u see it now "well mr dm, it was necessary to keep the lights on during business hours." I think u get my point.
    In fast food u are also going to have those employees that don't care or find it amusing to mess with your food. I wish I could say I would never eat a meal I didn't prepare myself, but that just doesn't seem plausible and I have made it this far, so guess I will just take my chances.
    Not that we eat out often, usually it's a Saturday thing only, ocasionally nuggets for the kids on a busy day of errands or when grandpa is responsible for them.
    I once watched a 20/20 episode on restaurants, I think it scared me straight for about a monrh tops, so I think we all know what could happen but most of us choose to ignore it out of convenience

I have not gone through all the posts but what about things u buy at markets like Capri suns, which don't add preservatives I think so your kid might just suck up some mold, or meat not being handled properly, customers in markets who leave perishables out of freezers only to have employees return them to the cold section, soda cans that r exposd to rat urine and feces etc I would go mad if I focused on those things so instead I will try to stay healthy just incase if what I happen to ingest is subpar.
  • jonnythan
    Options

McDonalds doesn't use beef tallow in their oil anymore gosh darnit because that made the BEST french fry. Vegetarians complained and so they changed the oil to what they use now which is pretty tasteless and I haven't had a McD fry since!!

This is false. They still use beef in their fries.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The Wendy's Chili is not made like that (at least it's not supposed to be). I worked at Wendy's as a teenager for a while and the meat for the chili comes in a separate bag, pre seasoned and pre cooked. Just add water.

And if that fact is untrue, I can only assume that the rest are also probably untrue as well.

At the Wendy's YOU worked at it didn't happen... but you can't speak for them all.

I have eaten chili from wendy's where i would have SWORN that it was old hamburgers. To be honest, i consdered it resourceful and not gross. I see nothing wrong with reducing waste.

I feel the same way! I have to question, do none of you who are yammering about how disgusting it is to reuse the food NEVER eat leftovers in your home?? That is simply irresponsible and wasteful IMO.

They probably don't leave freshly cooked food out for eight hours before they freeze it.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I've heard that's true out of the USA but in the USA it comes already basted in the beef tallow, regardless of what oil it gets fried in at the restaurant. Same with the hashbrowns. (The complaints came because the beef tallow used to be listed as "natural flavors" so employees didn't know and told vegetarians, some of whom are vegetarian or have to eat a certain way for religious reasons, that they were vegetarian.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

Maybe you make your own bread, I dunno.

But if you buy a typical bun in a grocery, remove it from the bag, and toss it on your counter... Then yes it does.
    You've left a bun on your counter for 14 years?
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I worked for a caterering company and ran one of their steam table trucks for years, and I never wasted anything. T/days chile became tomorrows chile dogs. T/days leftover scrambled eggs became tomorrows breakfast burritos. T/days leftover veggies went into tomorrows soup or casserole ect... with proper refrigeration and care you would NEVER know it and neither did my customers and the proof was that I never once had a complaint and made over 1200.00 a day on my route (one of the top 5% profitable operators). Of course a lot of it was superb menu planning and attention to details and really knowing how to use leftovers. Nothing wrong with being creative here. We all know many foods actually taste better the next day. So if Wendy's or another restaurant wasn't properly utilizing their leftovers I would certainly question their management ability to keep costs/prices down and waste to a minimum.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    How can a chicken nugget melt????

I think that is a load of old rubbish lol

As to the other points, I am glad I dislike MacDonalds, that way I never eat any of their stuff.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a Deli, and all of the meat / cheese that passed their sell by dates were sliced up and put on sandwiches! :angry: It was disgusting! Our manager would change the labels on things for later dates "Oh they're still good for a week after the exp date, its ok". Yeah, but if you change the label 5 times, then its actually a /month/ past expiration date.

We also had grilled chicken breast we sold, and if it didn't sell (7 days) then it was chopped up and put in salads for another 3 days.

Grrr.

just got let go from a deli that practive these same things. We take old rotisseries that have been sitting for hours, pick the breast meat, use it for our "fruit & nut chicken salad" even if its been sitting in the walk in for days. THEN whatever is left after a week or so gets packaged to sell as "salad" topping chicken.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I worked for a caterering company and ran one of their steam table trucks for years, and I never wasted anything. <snip>Of course a lot of it was superb menu planning and attention to details and really knowing how to use leftovers. Nothing wrong with being creative here.

I agree with that- DH and I are certainly good with leftovers at home. It sounds like some of the places where the other posters worked, though, used leftovers till they were gone, regardless of how long that took. I hope the Board of Health shows up some day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Also in the wendy's chilli: the small beans and kidney beans are soaked in corn syrup in the can!

Uh, no. They're put in water and dextrose. The syrupy liquid that forms in the can is the starch that leaves the bean plus dextrose to keep the bean from losing its shape.

Dextrose is simply a little added starch. The beans would taste like adzuki if they were soaked in corn syrup.

Oh, and I sometimes make my chili the same way as Wendy's. No reason to waste a perfectly good patty simply because it sat out for 15 minutes.