WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? (Eating back exercise calories)

Options
124»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    chlorisaann, i didnt know the exercise setting thing was based on my everyday life. I set it including my exercise Lol Guess ill set it to sedentary then.

As many said, this is probably why you're having issues. Doing this AND eating your exercise calories is apparently keeping you at maintenance (because you're counting exercise twice). A lot of people do the TDEE method the helloitsdan posted above, and they are extremely successful. You could try that, or you could try the MFP way for a while (which has also been very successful for many or the site wouldn't still be here), **after correcting your settings.** You could do that until it doesn't (if it doesn't) work for you anymore. At that point you could then do the TDEE method.
  • missmarcy1992
    missmarcy1992 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan, Wow now I feel like ive really been hard on myself. i thought working out each day was good for me. & what makes it soo bad is that I used to workout 3 times a week and I would lose 2 lbs. Now I decided this week to workout 6 days a week and hardly no weight loss, EPIC fail. lol

• MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Another "mommy lecture" (I have a 20 year old lol) .. that junk food is going to cause you issues in the long run. Sodium counts, etc.. I'm battling high blood pressure, which I didnt develop til I quit smoking. Granted, before I quit, my love is salty stuff.. I can pass on sweet items but I will cut you over a box of cheez its.. I'm paying the price for my love of sodium packed crap!!! Unprocessed is where it's at. That sodium in the junk food you are eating will also cause water retention.. which could cause you not to lose also.
  • missmarcy1992
    Options
    Mindmovesbody , Thans :) I will definitely check out the group.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever do this, and I'm still losing weigh. I think the main reason is the math! by the time I work out it is usually late and I can't stand to eat another morsal. Plus you will need to measure everthing because if you don't you could be over doing it. Dangerous! If you are not extremely hungry, than eat only what is necessary, and stay concistant with your working out, I mean every stinkin day, that's when true results start to happen. Eat right/work out everday to see changes on the scale. Not all of us are cut out for this three times a week stuff, you will need to do it every day if you are desperate to see the weight come off fast. Good luck dear. Real talk sis!
  • sizzler0123
    Options

I was exercising every single day except Sunday.

dont workout every day.
    Workout 3x a week and eat 30% below TDEE for a few weeks till you plateau.
    Or eat 20% below TDEE for months till you plateau.
    Or eat 30% below TDEE daily except sunday where you can have in excess of 30% above TDEE and do this for months till you plateau.

Again...dont work out every day.

So why do you say not to work out every day? Just interested by this. I work out usually 6-7 days a week but I try to vary what I do. Try to run 3-4 days a week then elliptical, walking, or Zumba on other days. I severely lack on the strength training
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan, Wow now I feel like ive really been hard on myself. i thought working out each day was good for me. & what makes it soo bad is that I used to workout 3 times a week and I would lose 2 lbs. Now I decided this week to workout 6 days a week and hardly no weight loss, EPIC fail. lol

Just relax and know that the rest and recovery from working out is well needed time.
    Feel free to hit green carbs on these days and if you want, avoid the starches and instead enjoy the fatty stuff like nuts and avocados.
    Youll find its easier to hit calories when you cut certain carbs out.
    Then on workout days, hit the starches and breads/pasta hard while taking it easier on the fats.
    Give and take.

Have a look at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Helloitsdan?date=2012-07-09.
    This is a lifting day for me so starchy carbs are hit hard.
    Protein and fat are in check.
    +20% to TDEE for lean mass gains since i'm at the lower BF range.

Sunday was a different story..http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Helloitsdan.
    Protein and fat hit hard because im at a deficit and the fat wont get stored.
    Carbs are 20% of my caloric intake with room for fun stuff still.

Savvy?
  • missmarcy1992
    Options
    rdailey70, your'e awesome lol :) I definitely need to watch my sodium intake as well. I ate Cheez-itz and some Lays today and they weren't even the Baked kind LOL i was sooooooo depressed this morning after stepping on that scale.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    When I ate back the exercise calories I gained. Becareful if you do.
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheezits. Matter of fact, I'd kill for some now. However.. had I known at 20 what I know now, I'd have been watching my sodium! It's soooo hard to get it off later in life.. it's great that you are starting now.. but watch the things that can mess you up later on, because it will catch up with you one day. Bad marriage = a lot of weight to lose before my wedding to my Mr. Wonderful :) Sooner is better than later.
  • missmarcy1992
    Options
    Helloitsdan, Very Savvy indeed Lol Thanks so much :)
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3, I set my exercise goal to Active.

Yes, that's your issue. If you are set to "active" and you selected that because of your planned exercise, then you shouldn't be eating your exercise calories back at all - it was already included in your daily calorie goal.
    Like!
  • missmarcy1992
    Options
    prudencey, I just set it to sedentary. I need a beginners handbook to MFP lol

• VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I was exercising every single day except Sunday.

dont workout every day.
    Workout 3x a week and eat 30% below TDEE for a few weeks till you plateau.
    Or eat 20% below TDEE for months till you plateau.
    Or eat 30% below TDEE daily except sunday where you can have in excess of 30% above TDEE and do this for months till you plateau.

Again...dont work out every day.

BUMP
    Elephantbutt.gif
    Safe this for future reference.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Just relax and know that the rest and recovery from working out is well needed time.
    Feel free to hit green carbs on these days and if you want, avoid the starches and instead enjoy the fatty stuff like nuts and avocados.
    Youll find its easier to hit calories when you cut certain carbs out.
    Then on workout days, hit the starches and breads/pasta hard while taking it easier on the fats.
    Give and take.

Have a look at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Helloitsdan?date=2012-07-09.
    This is a lifting day for me so starchy carbs are hit hard.
    Protein and fat are in check.
    +20% to TDEE for lean mass gains since i'm at the lower BF range.

Sunday was a different story..http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Helloitsdan.
    Protein and fat hit hard because im at a deficit and the fat wont get stored.
    Carbs are 20% of my caloric intake with room for fun stuff still.

Savvy?

BUMP
    Elephantbutt.gif

Save this for future reference. Thanks Dan!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    prudencey, I just set it to sedentary. I need a beginners handbook to MFP lol

Sedentary is someone who doesnt move at all.
    Sits on the couch.
    Less than 2k steps a day....
    I find it hard to believe you are sedentary.
  • missmarcy1992
    Options
    Helloitsdan, i dont think i take 2k steps a day. I sit at the computer alot though. I do walk quite a bit at school. I park in the back of the parking lot so I have to walk a medium route. i walk the halls a bit too. But thats it. lol
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2033. My TDEE is 3143. So what does that mean? Lol

Eat above your BMR and below your TDEE to lose weight.