Is C25K REALLY for "couch" people?

Options

Replies

• JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I ran in my early twenties, but now I'm in my late 40's. A few years ago I tried to run with no program and just couldn't do it. Recently started C25k and can't believe I'm actually running 30 minutes now. Jumping from 3 to 5 and then 5 -8 minutes was so intimidating so I started stretching out the training with a few extra weeks. So, I think changing the pace somewhat is okay to do. Someone did tell me however, that if you reach a point where you just want to quit running, it means your body is switching to a new source of fuel and if you can just push through it you'll get the energy you need. I have found that to be so true and currently have to push through two walls during my 30 minutes. Right now my second wall is very close to the 30 minute mark, so I'm going to focus on pushing my body a bit more because I'm sure I'll soon be able to run for at least 35 minutes.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It is ABSOLUTELY perfect for couch potatoes. I was spud-in-chief over all couch potatoes. I am starting Week 4 Day 1 in the morning. I encourage you to check with your doctor, get some real running shoes (I am looking at some now so I don't hurt myself), and check in EVERY DAY to get support, inspiration, and motivation.

I weigh well over 300 pounds. I started off barely able to do a half mile. Now I am clocking about 1.2 miles every other morning. If I can do it, you can do it. We have faith in you, and we are here for you.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just take it as slow as you need to. I am not doing the program, but I am almost 40 and have never run a day in my life until this year. I created my own plan where I walked for about a month, then started intervals. I actually like intervals better than straight jogging, but let me tell you...running is totally addictive! Get some great music that you love, and run/walk when it is in the 70's if you can. The feeling when your done is unbelieveable!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Before starting C25K, I can't remember the last time I ran... might have been in 7th or 8th grade and I am 31...

I started it about 4 months ago and got to week 2, repeating both weeks twice. Then, I started working a lot of hours and just did not have the energy to get up at 4:45 in the morning to do it. After about a month, i started it up again. I am currently on week 4, having had to repeat it. I am on my 3rd go round right now, because am having issues hitting the 5 min mark. But, I am determined to get it, if I have to repeat it for 2 months.

I really like the program, and would recommend it to anyone who says "I am not a runner/jogger". I still don't label myself as a runner or jogger because it is still work for me, but I am liking it more and more as I go and actually miss it when there are days that I don't make time to do it.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner. Ever. I started this in Feb and was struggling to run the 30 seconds yesterday I ran for eight minutes twice. TWICE! I'm a tad scared of the next run (20 min straight) but I'll just keep repeating it till I do it. Week 4 I was on for two months! Repeat as much as needed.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running and used to get really winded easily when running.

I started running a couple of months ago at my own pace. If I felt like I was dying, I would stop. If I felt like I could hang longer, I'd push myself. When I explained my running routine to people, they'd thought I was doing C25k. I can't do 5k yet, but I'm half way there!

The most important thing to do is listen to your body and know your limits.
    if you follow a regimen that is too intense for you, you'll quit and not continue on.
    To me, it's more important to be consistent, disciplined and sustainable.

I also found it important to run the same course so I would have visual markers so I could say I'm running from here to that tree, and if I can make that, then next time I'll run to a tree that's farther out, etc.

Good luck!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    OMG this is NOT for couch people ... I thought I was going to die
    I walked at least 1/2 of it ... :(
    But I did the whole thing ..
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!!! I used to be a runner (25 years ago) and had to redo C25K 3 times before I got through it. It's OK to have to do weeks over. The goal shouldn't be to finish the program in 9 weeks (although lots of people do). The goal is to get out and move and get healthier, however long that takes you.
    Don't quit! Remember how you felt today in a few weeks, that will make you feel great instead of feeling like you are going to die.
    Good luck!!
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd never run a day in my life prior to starting C25K, and it worked out great for me. As far as size goes, I was only slightly overweight - 165 at 5'7" - but I had terrible knees so I most likely had a tougher time with it than the average person my size. I would say give it a go! If it's too much, google a pre-C25K program and start with that.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    You can do it, just keep trying, I was terrible on my first week, the first day wasnt as bad as I thought it would be but I struggled, and my recovery took ages, I've just finished Week 3, which I'm going to repeat as I dont quite feel ready to go from 3mins to 5 mins yet, so hopefully next week I'll do Week 4 :-)

You do adapt, my breathing is getting better and today I had my fatest interval times for the week, and my longest distance, and my recovery rate was minimal.

Keep at it :-)
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 31 weigh 241lbs and am currently on week 2 and yes I'm a couch person and never ran since I was about 14!! It's hard but you can do it!!!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Want to start this program also...here's to hoping I like running better than i do now. :smile:
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Want to start this program also...here's to hoping I like running better than i do now. :smile:

You will :-) I never ran, think the last time I ran was school, and that was because I had to!hehe

I didnt think I'd like it, but I really do, have my music on and its great :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Go slowly. I had never run a day in my life either. I had been walking regularly for about 5 months before I started it though. I can now run 5K and am training for a 10K, and still very much overweight LOL. It took me 13 weeks to do the 8 week program. Go slowly, repeat weeks or days as necessary. If I can do it, anyone can. Seriously LOL.
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes it is . Used to be a whale on the sofa . Now a runner 18 miles a week . All achieved in a year .go for it
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hey that's okay! Good for you for finishing. You don't need to be sad that you walked half of it. I think many if not most find that to be true their first time trying. In fact I know of many people who couldn't finish the 30 minutes even walking. With a little time, they succeeded in becoming runners. You can too.

I'd stick with it, and either warm up to the program with several 30-minute walks each week, or do week 1 but shorten the running intervals to 20 or 30 seconds, and lengthen the walking intervals to 120 seconds (2 minutes). In a week or two you'll be ready for the standard version of week 1.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I loved it, my only issue was that I'm a smoker, so I did get winded a little easier than I would have if I could just kick the stupid butts. But in terms of being a real couch person, I'm DEFINITELY a couch person, and I had no soreness or cramps or aches or anything like that.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    It's a great tool. You can go at your own pace - I stayed on level 1 for much longer than my 2 friends but I'm starting to catch up. It's YOUR diet and it's YOUR exercise plan. Do what works for you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have never ever been a runner(except for a short stint in May where I went temporarily insane and decided that trying to run a treadmill was a good idea.)

I just completed Week 3 Day 1 yesterday and it went well.

My advice is to go slow and don't push too hard/fast.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started it last week...It is intense at times, but I really like it!!!!! The first week, it has you warm up for 5 minutes and then do several intervals of running/walking. You run for 60 seconds, walk for 90, run for 60, walk for 90, etc. I'm not going to lie - there were times when I would skip a jogging interval because I was exhausted (or I was about to pass someone and didn't want to look like Phoebe from Friends while running!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!)

You CAN do it!!!!! If you have an iPhone, I downloaded a free program called JogLog, and it has free access to the C25K program. Listen to your body. If you need to slow down, do it, BUT push yourself!!!! I have found that it's usually not my body that needs a rest...it's a mental hurdle that I have to cross!! (Mountain climbers tell me that the biggest battle that they face when reaching the summit of a huge mountain is not physical...it's mental.) You got this!!!! Now go get your sweat on!!!