Exercise Ideas For Parents Of Toddlers

Options

Replies

• beatingobesityforlife
    beatingobesityforlife Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm with Dani (Haycock) on the wii dance - the kids love it. You can also get "the best fo Wiggles" and "Wow that's what I call nursery rhymes" seriously you might laugh but it's all jumping twisting etc and all fun songs to sing along too. enjoy. x

lol that is so true. Thanks =) I will try it. haha ! =)
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 month old, 2 year old, and 3 year old. Most days we walk in the morning a 2 mile jaunt.....I wear the baby and push a jogging stroller where they get to go to a park in the middle and then when the hubs is home I bike with one or two in a trailer or by myself, and then go to Zumba two days per week. I am constantly on the move with my two kiddos. Some days after dinner my 3 year old rides her tricycle and the 2 year old walks and we go around the neighborhood. Hope that helps.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    My son is 7, but I babysit a 2 year old, and I either workout before she gets here at 7am, or I use her as resistance. Chuck her on my front or back and do lunges or squats while singing a song. Lay down on my back and "bench press" her. Stand her on my feet, and sit up to blow raspberries on her cheeks. "race" whenever we are outside. Turn on silly music and dance with her. This all works for the older kids as well lol

I am too afraid to try that with my girl lol I do run around with her and dance with her as much as I can. I am gonna try working out before she gets up in the mornings, and during her naps ;)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have two VERY different kiddos. A two year old and a three year old.

If I get out 30 Day Shred, my son tends to immediately go find something to do that he shouldn't be doing. My daughter, on the other hand, is the model child, stretching out next to me on the yoga mat and attempting every move I do. (Proof that we need to be careful what we are showing our daughters by our actions!!!!)

I bought a bike trailer. My daughter falls asleep in it, or chills with sunglasses and a cup of milk. My son is a constant stream of questions and starts yelling if you don't answer. And the questions start basic, then turn into I-just-want-to-drive-you-crazy-with-obvious-questions. "Why is the sky blue? Can you bike all the way to Oklahoma to see Great Grandpa? Can you bike to a park? Why not? Can we go get ice cream? Why not? What is that? A house... what's a house?" *Bashes head against handlebars*

I have gone for little walks with them, but I have a creepy neighbor, so I don't like doing that much, either. But sometimes we will go to the park in town, and then go for a "treat" at the gas station or cafe or walk to lunch..... we get a little walking in, usually carrying my two year old for half of it, and then return to the park for a little more playing. And that nearly ALWAYS results in a nap.

Maybe swimming? We have a outdoor pool in the summer locally, and my son starts swimming lessons this week. We got 20 extra admission tickets, so I really should start using them....

"And that nearly ALWAYS results in a nap." For you or them? LOL :laugh:
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    My advice -exercise before they get up or after bedtime if you can. I have 2 under 3...it's a challenge, but it can happen. Also, don't forget - playing with the kids, silly dancing, walking, all that kind of stuff - it all burns calories!

If you can't fit in a "formal" workout - fit in what you can. It's about MOVING!!

Thank you so much =))
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I always burn more during the "carry me, I'm tired" phase of our walks- putting an extra 40 pounds on my shoulders does the trick!

Does your back ever hurt? Mine gets achy =/
  • MrsRAW712
    MrsRAW712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My daugter is 4 now, but I used to work out when she would take a nap. She also has a TON of energy, so I would put on some music and we would dance for about 30 min. Now, since she's 4, we do Just Dance on the Kinect and she loves it. She will switch sides with me because she will see I have more stars and then she gets excited because she won. When I pop in a DVD to do, I make sure it's during her "tv time" and she's content so I can get a 30 min workout in. When it's nice outside, we will go for a walk or chase each other outside playing tag.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to have to try Just Dance with my toddler because she loves anything on the Kinect. She recently has been begging to do Zumba and she's not even 2 yet! Doing anything outside this summer has been helpful too.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I put my 3 year old on his bike, put my 1 year old in the stroller and go for a really long walk! Sometimes we stop at the park and run around with a soccer ball. Usually they're so busy climbing on things and I'm constantly chasing after them that it becomes a pretty good workout!

awe that sounds fun!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    lots of walks, also "tag"
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little and I was at home I took them on daily walks. It's good for both of you to get out and about in the sunshine :). Pushing a loaded down stroller up and down hills four miles a day is freaking hard work too. Just plot out a route to suit your difficulty/length needs, preferably to somewhere you actually want to go: the park, the library for story time, the farmer's market, the museum. I even did my grocery shopping by stroller sometimes, and man, it's brutal. As an added bonus, there's incentive to avoid impulse purchases - they're heavy! I lost quite a bit of weight doing nothing else.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes to do my Jillian Michaels DVDs "with" me.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    It depends on the toddler. Generally it's easier to do it when the toddler is asleep because otherwise you risk having your workout completely interrupted. And even if you find something that works, the toddlers will tend to get bored of it after awhile. I've been able to do circuit training a few times with my toddler though. Just do 4-5 compound body weight movements in a row, then rest two minutes, then repeat 3-4 times. My toddler will usually want to emulate the exercises which is pretty funny, and then I can play with him during the 2-3 minutes of down time. The playing is sort of like low intensity cardio to keep my heart rate up during the rest interval. Sometime you can even incorporate the toddler, like holding them up to the pull up bar and doing standing calf raises while the toddler pretends to do pull-ups.

I will def try to do morning workouts, seeing that most parents say it'd be easier that way. If I ever miss a morning, I will find a way to exercise with my child lol she loves to dance so dancing would work!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I workout when my 2 year old is napping or after he's in bed. Or I leave him with someone else (my husband if he's home, or my 12 year old step daughter or a sitter).

My husband puts him in the jogging stroller and takes him out but I hate running with the stroller so I avoid that like the plague. Plus, he won't hack more than about 30-40 minutes before he starts to get REALLY cranky. The 2 year old, that is... not my husband :tongue:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some ideas ... I just do it before they wake up in the morning ...

^^^^This is exactly right. go to bed early so you won't mind getting up early. Have some time for yourself....have a morning! You need it...so you can care for yourself. Key is, go to bed early...start adjusting yourself to an early bedtime.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so I just do it after she's in bed. Sometimes, this means I'm not done until midnight, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. I've tried to do it when DD is awake, but planks and push-ups are just an invitation to get pounced. Plus, that's when she needs a snack, or go to the toilet, or....
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I have an 8 month old, 2 year old, and 3 year old. Most days we walk in the morning a 2 mile jaunt.....I wear the baby and push a jogging stroller where they get to go to a park in the middle and then when the hubs is home I bike with one or two in a trailer or by myself, and then go to Zumba two days per week. I am constantly on the move with my two kiddos. Some days after dinner my 3 year old rides her tricycle and the 2 year old walks and we go around the neighborhood. Hope that helps.
    wow, you are so motivated!! Thanks for your tips and advice, I really appreciate them.!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so I just do it after she's in bed. Sometimes, this means I'm not done until midnight, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. I've tried to do it when DD is awake, but planks and push-ups are just an invitation to get pounced. Plus, that's when she needs a snack, or go to the toilet, or....

lol right right I understand! I am goinjg to try morning exercises for about a month and see how it works out..and if it doesnt work for me, I will try night workouts..but does it ever keep you up for a while after you exercise at night? Just was wondering..I have a hard time sleeping as it is lol
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I wish I had some ideas ... I just do it before they wake up in the morning ...

^^^^This is exactly right. go to bed early so you won't mind getting up early. Have some time for yourself....have a morning! You need it...so you can care for yourself. Key is, go to bed early...start adjusting yourself to an early bedtime.

Thank you =) I really need to make my bedtime for when my girl goes to bed..It'd def make a HUGE difference for me. Thanks!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I workout when my 2 year old is napping or after he's in bed. Or I leave him with someone else (my husband if he's home, or my 12 year old step daughter or a sitter).

My husband puts him in the jogging stroller and takes him out but I hate running with the stroller so I avoid that like the plague. Plus, he won't hack more than about 30-40 minutes before he starts to get REALLY cranky. The 2 year old, that is... not my husband :tongue:

lol how funny! and my husband said he could watch her for me in the morning so I can go walking, but I need to get on a good sleeping pattern before I get out first thing in the morning lol thanks for your tips!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    My daughter likes to do my Jillian Michaels DVDs "with" me.

Awe! I need to find an example video of her workouts to try em out