What's your ethnicity?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    European. I always thought we were English...till my oldest bro went on Ancestry.com. Come to find out, on my dad's side, we are FRENCH! Seems my great-great-great grandfather emigrated to Canada from France but changed his name to an English one to avoid persecution. So I am French and English, with a little Cherokee indian (my great-great grandmother).
    Same here! the family research shows that they went from Roi-DiLauzier to Roy on my maternal side once they settled into Canada. Some chose to keep the original name, some chose to split it and other changed it to english. Pretty interesting when you think about it.

And to the OP, sorry if the term Mutt offended you, I believe most people mean no disrespect when they do use it. The world has become such a melting pot of ethnicities that the lines are pretty blurred when it comes to many of us.
    All in all it makes us a bunch of fascinating people :flowerforyou:

Ancestry.com is a pile of crap. You would be better off doing the leg work yourself. Check out Genealogy.com and FDLS website. Also, look for a local library with a genealogy section or check with your local geneaological society. Ancestry.com is the McDonald's of genealogy. Don't waste your money.
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mom - Dutch
    Dad - Cherokee
  • lilxsillygrl
    lilxsillygrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im hispanic. Salvadorian and Mexican
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    European. I always thought we were English...till my oldest bro went on Ancestry.com. Come to find out, on my dad's side, we are FRENCH! Seems my great-great-great grandfather emigrated to Canada from France but changed his name to an English one to avoid persecution. So I am French and English, with a little Cherokee indian (my great-great grandmother).
    Same here! the family research shows that they went from Roi-DiLauzier to Roy on my maternal side once they settled into Canada. Some chose to keep the original name, some chose to split it and other changed it to english. Pretty interesting when you think about it.

And to the OP, sorry if the term Mutt offended you, I believe most people mean no disrespect when they do use it. The world has become such a melting pot of ethnicities that the lines are pretty blurred when it comes to many of us.

Ancestry.com is a pile of crap. You would be better off doing the leg work yourself. Check out Genealogy.com and FDLS website. Also, look for a local library with a genealogy section or check with your local geneaological society. Ancestry.com is the McDonald's of genealogy. Don't waste your money.

Really? I never heard of those sites. Does Genealogy.com cost anything? I always wanted to find out my ancestry but could never afford it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Moms side is German and Norwegion
    Dads side is Scottish through and through except for his grandmother who was Native American
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm an eggplant! And really high!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ancestry.com is awesome. Yes, you should cross check a lot of the info you find and that isn't hard to do but I have nothing but good things to say about ancestry (except maybe the price). You just need to not copy off of other people's trees, THAT is where a lot of mistakes are made. Use documents and your own research, don't copy some one else's tree.

findagrave.com is also a good resource.
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    English and Irish.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In-Before-the-Lock.gif
    \m/

hahaha ^ this
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am white British...says so in my passport.

I am English, with some scottish and Irish ancestry, I think, at least definate on the Scottish, as my Great Grandmother was born in Forfar Fife
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    7th generation Texan, LOL.... Scottish/Irish/German.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

To be honest we (my family) didn't use those sites. It was done through a lot of leg work and research in the days before the wonders of the internet. This may have made things easier for my aunt to research and saved her some money. She traveled quite a bit as part of the research back in the day. Genealogy was one of her passions :smile:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I'm an eggplant! And really high!

Tasty, dude! Now I want to eat you...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

To be honest we (my family) didn't use those sites. It was done through a lot of leg work and research in the days before the wonders of the internet. This may have made things easier for my aunt to research and saved her some money. She traveled quite a bit as part of the research back in the day. Geneaology was one of her passions :smile:

Reminds me of that show "Who do you think you are?" Where they follow celebrities/actors/athletes/famous-ish people as they try to trace their family tree back. It's a fun show to watch and it's something I wish I could do someday. Maybe it could be my project once I retire. :)
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Human....just.

No idea......don't care.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    oh...and in before the lock...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

To be honest we (my family) didn't use those sites. It was done through a lot of leg work and research in the days before the wonders of the internet. This may have made things easier for my aunt to research and saved her some money. She traveled quite a bit as part of the research back in the day. Genealogy was one of her passions :smile:

Yep. I got a lot of good info from my uncle, but I still have a lot of gaps to fill. One of these days, I'll extend my search beyond my local area. I found Genealogy.com extremely helpful because it helps you network with other genealogists so you don't have to travel as much.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Has this descended into chaos yet?
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mother - Irish, African American & Cherokee, Father - African American & Puerto Rican...... Since I live in America I am just African American :)

My husband who is in the picture with me is Italian, Swiss & Nigerian and he is from Brazil........ :)
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Let's see.

Filipino, German, Irish, Puerto Rican, Spaniard, Italian, American Indian, Portuguese.