What's your ethnicity?

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Mutt = bi or multi-racial?

Because Irish, Scottish, Italian etc = caucasian. So if you're a 'mix' of these, you're still caucasian.

It's like saying you're half Ghanian and half Jamiacan (yes, I know lots of people who claimed this). You're still black.

I'm not being *kitten*-y, just saying.

Ok, I'm caucasion. I consider myself a "mutt" because the borders in eastern and western Europe changed often when my grandparents were there and getting ready to leave. For example: My maternal grandfather was technically born in Austria. The border put their town or village in Austria at the time. A couple years later, it was back in Czechoslovakia. I also consider myself a mutt because I'm not all German, or all of any one nationality.

Oh, right...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Confirmed... Anglican and Scottish, likely part Irish, rumored to be part French, and possibly (but unconfirmed) Blackfoot Indian. Just your typical all-around Caucasian American mix.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    White/American. I know I have quite a few German ancestors, some from England, and a smidge of Native American in me.
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    italian/irish/english - white
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm homo sapien.

We'll let god sort out the rest of the details. :laugh:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I'm a mongrel mutt married to a 100% polish Hubby :laugh: :smooched:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Italian American with a few hidden surprises if you shake the family tree hard enough.
    430627_350198028354341_2055683263_n.jpg
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    According to wikipedia, "An ethnic group is a group of people whose members identify with each other through a common heritage, consisting of a common culture, including a shared language or dialect. The group's ethos or ideology may also stress common ancestry, religion, or race"

I know. I looked it up.

I was talking in terms of racial background, but again, I didn't make it clear enough.

How many people on here really identify with every facet of their 'ethnic group', though?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I traced my ex husband's ancestry all the way back to an indentured servant in Virginia, from then back to Yorkshire, England. I thought it would be nice for my son to know where he comes from. Yeah so its far far back...but his last name is kinda unique.

I love geneaology! But I find that British ancestry seems to be the easiest to trace. I have yet to confirm my Irish roots and fuh-get about tracing American Indian heritage!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    If we go back far enough we are all African. :)
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a little white girl...but as for ethnicity, I generally identify as being Jewish because that's the group I'm most closely aligned and affiliated with. In terms of ancestry, I'm Eastern European/Russian (as someone pointed out earlier, boarders changed a LOT) on my dad's side and French on my mother's side.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    50% African American - dad's side
    25% Spanish - mom's side
    25% Apache Indian - mom's side

Minority to the 3rd power :drinker:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I traced my ex husband's ancestry all the way back to an indentured servant in Virginia, from then back to Yorkshire, England. I thought it would be nice for my son to know where he comes from. Yeah so its far far back...but his last name is kinda unique.

I love geneaology! But I find that British ancestry seems to be the easiest to trace. I have yet to confirm my Irish roots and fuh-get about tracing American Indian heritage!!

Yeah I found it pretty easy. I thought it would be horrendously expensive and it wasn't. I found his ancestors sell receipt or whatever...she hadn't completed her servitude and was passed over to another "owner". Her name was Joanna.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    White British.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Black American, descendant of African Slaves (plus a litte European and American Indian sprinkled in).

I'd love to have DNA testing and really see where my people are from. Its on my list :)

^^^ what she said!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Cuban and Jamaican

Well, hello there. We share a side.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    African American with a little bit of other stuff
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I am 2nd Generation American with family coming from Germania...

My Dad is north Austrian and my mom is southern German. I have traced back my heritage all the way to the 1200's and I am white all the way through...Kinda wondering why I am not transparent haha
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Blaxican.

(Mexican and Black)
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm 7th generation Australian but heritage wise I'm English Irish Scottish Welsh and German :-), most of that is Irish but German is both side so probably comes in second.