51yr old F looking for same age for support&laughs

Options

Replies

• 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What a fun group of girls! I am 51, and working hard to keep this body healthy and getting fit. Feel free to friend me to share support. Linda
  • bcsurvivor
    Options
    Hello, I too have lost and regained. I am 52 years old, a breast cancer survivor (2008) and want to get off the medication that I now take for High Cholesterol and BP. I have read many of your statements and mine would read about the same. My daughter just got married, so that stress is now gone. But we have a small manufacturing business and the economy isn't doing us any favors so I worry about our people and making all the bills. I internalize stress and I know that is my biggest downfall. My husband of 28 years looks like he did when we got married and eats what he wants. He is very active at work so he has no desire to workout with me (don't get me wrong he supports me fully in all I want to do but since he is physically active all day he doesn't want to come home and work out or walk) I on the other hand used to be thin but now I am not. I currently weigh 238 and am 5' 7". I have done MFP before and lost 25lbs and I felt wonderful. I would like to be with a group of women who understand where I am coming from, and who understand that life has a way of getting away from you, then you turn around and say " hey this is not who I am inside" and who have a desire to try to do their best to try to make changes no matter how small. I am open for and friend requests.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hmm i just hit the quote button so im not sure if or where this will post.. but janet.. a) welcome and B) OMG HUGE CONGRATS on such an amazing loss!! You have done an awesome job.. I am amazed and inspried!!

I totally understand about the frustration; I think we can all relate to it.. and I have finally figured out I am an emotional eater.. any emotion will do.. happy, sad, depressed, lonely.. whatever.. i turn to food...
    so cut yourself some slack for feeling down about the blood work.. whatever is going on they will be able to figure it out and help you out with it, so remind youself that you are amazing and this is just a stumbling block.. go over it around it or hell through it .. or let us pull you thru it .. nothing wrong with a hleping hand now and then.... so c'mon ladies.. grab a hand and let's help janet get around this ..

dont let the head games take over Janet... we're here for you and you can get back on track and rock on!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 57 if that is not too old for the two of you early 50's ladies, I would love to buddy up.
    I am 5'10" and at 231 I am 44 pounds lighter than I was in January. But 76 pounds lighter than I was a few years ago-when I topped out at 307. Then I got down to 201 and I was so frustrated about not getting to Onerderland that I surrendered and began the creep back up.
    This week, I was feeling so positive, until I got my blood work and the kidney numbers are strange. So I too am fearful of diabetes.
    I also know from past experience that I do pretty well in the summer, all the fresh fruits and veggies make healthful eating easier, BUT when Sept comes I can hit a wall that dumps pounds pretty quickly.
    I am hoping to build a support group to prevent that this year.
    Lets do this together!
    Janet
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    im turning 50 in Oct. on may 8th doctor told me I have steroid induced diabeties, I told her to quit cussing like that , I didnt allow that language to be used around me. two months later I am walking on avg 4 miles a day and Ive lost 22lbs, I have severe asthma and allergies, Ive been on prednisone , well i cant ever remember not being on it, LOL and I have thyroid diasese, but I say all this to say just move something everyday! is it harder at 50? yes!!!! no lies here, but not impossible, I found for me logging every bite has made the difference. Do I like this? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but its better then having multiple health issues. So today I choose to drink more water to stay hydrated. Make one small choice today even if its marching in place while a tv commercial is on LOL (yes ive done that) Today choose to put yourself and your health first. You are worth it.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ladies can i just say, almost 4 years ago I decided to make a LIFESTYLE change...needed to lose 20 lbs. That may not sound like much but for someone who never had a weight problem, it was alot. I learned that in your 50's you can lose weight, tone your body...but it has to be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not something you do for a special occasion - or you're doomed to fail. Sorry if that offends anyone...but facts is facts :)

I am in better shape than I have ever been in my life!!! I feel better, look better and can face what life throws at me much better with having a decent diet and a consistant exercise pattern in my life :)

I started with beachbody TEN MINUTE TRAINER....ten minutes a day...and have progressed to very challenging programs...and I am not athletic at all...if I can do it, anyone can!!!

If anyone would like to friend me, I welcome you to go on this journey together :)
  • charip
    charip Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can I join and friend you ladies too? I'm 55 and it's true that the weight just doesn't want to come off!! Did I accidentally eat some super glue with that fat, it sure is stuck on, lol. In my 20's I could lose weight just by thinking about it, lol, time changes everything!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Menopause Mad Hatters......LOVE IT!!!!!!

Husband had the overweight diabetes. Lost 40 pounds and viola....it's gone.

Add me if you like. Liking a good sense of humor these days.
  • AwakenedInChrist
    Options
    Hi! Awesome job in your decision to lose weight for health reasons! I'm 44 and have 28 pounds to lose, I'd be happy to support you in your journey! God Bless!
  • PearlGrey
    PearlGrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    May I join you Ladies please? I am 49 years old, five foot one and a half tall (or short). I live in the UK with my partner Neil, a cat and a dog.

I guess we are all old enough to know better but never too old to learn new tricks! Anyone is welcome to add me as a Friend :-)
  • Huntress52
    Huntress52 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, I could use a buddy for this . i am 50 yof, menopausally fat at 160 lb. I have tried everything from herbs, vitamins and diet pills, recently decided to keep track of calearies and try to biuld energy up enough to do some excerise. I am Paramedic and also work in Urgent Care so yes we need to get a grip on this fast, wt. lost will take care of diabeties. You dont want to go o meds . Name is Amy nice to chat.. Dont be fooled by profile pic that was 2 years ago.LOL, i'm going to force myself to take recent fat pic and post as profile for more motivation..
  • sandyjeffery
    sandyjeffery Posts: 140
    Options
    I am 53 years old. going thru menopause...5'7" 193 lbs. A couple of years ago was borderline diabetic. Changed my habits and ot back to normal. Weight is back up again, so a couple of weeks ago i started MFP and have lost 5 lbs. Logging food & exercise. Walking 3 miles 5x wk (mostly!) Gonna get back down! Friend me and we can do this together!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    We need our own place to chat this way. It seems to all get lost on the feed. Any takers on starting us a group of our own?
  • Huntress52
    Huntress52 Posts: 12
    Options
    How do we add friends? is there a certain chat room?
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I just turned 52 last month (5'7", current 192-ish which is down from 223 about a year ago) and have been good at using this site for about the past 3 weeks now and it has helped tremendously. I was always thin until I had my daughter 20 years ago. Being a single parent I did not have the luxury to stay home at any time and she was a pretty challenging kid to raise (I love her dearly, make no mistake) so I really didn't devote a lot of time to myself usually. I lost 70 pounds when she was about 6 years old and have steadily gained above and beyond that back over the past 10-12 years. I, too, have been experiencing the joys of menopause for about 5-6 years, which I am sure doesn't help the weight situation, nor does the fact I haven't had a really good night's sleep in that amount of time and nothing they have tried really seems to help with that problem.

My main motivation for wanting to loose the weight for good is that the majority of my dad's side of the family (including my dad, his three brothers, two sisters, and my grandfather) were all deceased from heart attacks or stroke before age 52. You see my concern here? I also know how much better I felt when I was thinner and in better shape and I just am tired of seeing myself look "fat" and unable to wear the nice clothes I was used to in my younger days (and I like to sew to make my own look but I'm not going to sew circus tents, sorry!) :(

I am finishing up a graduate program and am using my time off this summer to get started on getting back in shape.

I can always use some motivation and encouragement, so am open to "friending" people for this.

Thanks! :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height as you and 58 years with T2. I am off the metformin but working to get off the oral insulin. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you wish.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think we all make 40's to 50's look so good, no matter our weight or shape!! Remember what we used to think they were like when we were 20?

They WERE like that when we were 20. Grandmas when we were kids didn't look like grandmas do now. :)

I'll be 51 the end of this month, married with 5 grown kids and 6 grandchildren. I'm 5'8" and currently weight 240, down from 281 in January. I started running in April and can now run a little over a mile without stopping. I set a goal to walk 500 miles in 2012, and I'm currently at 340 miles walked/run. Not diabetic, although it runs in my family, and not menopausal yet (and since my mom had her TOM into her 90s, not too sure it will hit any time soon.)

Anyone can add me if they want
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    would love to be your buddy...I too was diagnosed with onset diabetes back in March and like you did not want to go on meds so I started watching what I ate and cut back carbs to 165 a day per my nutritionist and the weight has come off and my sugar is under control :) If I can do it I feel like anyone can and would love to be your support system here :) feel free to add me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    How do we add friends?

Click on the persons user name...that will take you to their page. There is a button to add friend. It will send a request to the person. Then they can either approve or disapprove your request.
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    I agree with Mariacolumbus.....I had a lifestyle change, but had no choice...after living in Tampa Bay for 24 years, my job promotion brought me to the Atlanta area, and it was like starting a new life...divorced mom of 2 daughters, who both are in college, I moved here alone and didn't know anybody!! what a way to start a a lifestyle change! I have lost over 30 lbs, and down 4 dress sizes since the move....i exercise more than I ever have in my life, eat better and feel great and look better than I have in years...it is like a 2nd chance. I work for an airline, and often am flying to different parts of the world, so sometimes its difficult to eat as well as I should, but I do the best I can.....looking forward to meeting new people on here!
  • charip
    charip Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We need our own place to chat this way. It seems to all get lost on the feed. Any takers on starting us a group of our own?

How do we go about doing this? It's a wonderful idea!