Body By Vi for teenage step-daughters?

Options
124»

Replies

• AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, that's not it. The latest I've seen is "one year after your periods become regular." So that may be 18 for some girls. I did say "most girls" to begin with. I suggest you measure your daughter now and a year from now.
  • BODbyVI
    BODbyVI Posts: 2
    Options
    What an awesome story! I have lost 13# so far and love the shakes! I am proud to hear that you are teaching your family healthy eating.
  • BODbyVI
    BODbyVI Posts: 2
    Options
    In any industry there are frauds. That is too bad. However, I have had great results as well as my mom husband and many friends.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angie. Luckily they live with us full time and I have been their primary mother figure for the past 13 years and therefore I do have a pretty good idea as to what she eats on a daily basis. Even tonight she wanted me to drop her off at Target so that she could look at sandals. Well they didn't have want she wanted in the sandals so while she was there already she decided to pick up a half gallon of ice cream and blueberry muffins since she was "having a craving". UGH!!!

I just get so frustrated because I feel like I can't mention it too much or nag her about it because that will just backfire on me and possibly cause an eating disorder, etc. So I just stay quiet hoping to lead by example but it is so hard to bite my tongue.

But I really appreciate all of the advice that everyone has offered and I will definitely work on incorporating some exercise opportunities for the whole family as well as working with my husband to change our family meals to healthier alternatives.

Separate issue - I'm a full time 100% full time non biological primary mother figure with zero legal rights to my daughter. It always irks me .... the 'step' assumption. I know most people don't mean to offend just sympathizing with your situation.

On the food...we had a friend pitch the body by vi to both hubby daugther and I when she was 15, she's 17 now. She wanted to do it, but not enough to push much and we were about to move so we didn't give in. She wasn't really 'heavy' just a bit pudgy. What really turned things around for her then was asking her to be in an activity - she chose color guard and dropped weight insanely fast. Many teanagers guards force them to eat like 3K min a day. Oddly enough she has started tracking her calories recently because she's not doing guard this year and doesn't want to gain weight - she does go to zumba with me sometimes but 2 hrs a week is hardly the 20 hours of exersize from last year.

My advice is get them into some physical activity. And also offer to buy them the shake if they earn it through chores, MAKE sure those chores are 100% physical.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track here. The shakes are not going to do any good, given the girls' current mindset anyway.

1) You need to make sure dad is on board with what you are telling them. And he needs to help lead by example.

2) Take them both to the doctor for a full check-up. Your insurance may also pay for visit(s) with a dietician.

3) Tracking for a month is a good idea. You can also tell them that this will help them formulate a long term plan for keeping the weight off after - IF they do use the shakes.

4) If they do the tracking and still want the shakes, I would advise that you tell them they need to figure out a way to pay for it themselves. Maybe having a summer job would have the nice side benefit of getting them moving? Maybe your daughters can get paid to walk around the neighborhood dog walking? Being paid might make being seen a little less embarrassing.
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    4) If they do the tracking and still want the shakes, I would advise that you tell them they need to figure out a way to pay for it themselves. Maybe having a summer job would have the nice side benefit of getting them moving? Maybe your daughters can get paid to walk around the neighborhood dog walking? Being paid might make being seen a little less embarrassing.

This is a brilliant idea!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    FYI, most girls have stopped growing by one year after they get their first period. I like the above suggestions for fun activities. You must keep things positive. Calling the girls lazy is not a good idea, if someone was suggesting that.

wow that is so not true I got my first period at age 7 yes 7 years old I was in the first grade and was not fat I was pretty middle of the road as a kids (not the super skinny but not even pudgy as a kid). If what your saying was even close to trun I would be under 4foot tall LMAO.

To the OP of this thread get the girls into a nutrion class and have them learn how to eat propperly and get more active. Shakes and counting calories IMO aren`t things kids should be doing they need to be taught how to properly eat.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If they are serious about wanting to do the Body By Vi shakes, they can get jobs and buy them, there is no reason for you to have to spend the money involved. At 15 and 17 they are both capable of babysitting or working in yards or sitting with the elderly, etc.
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They need to put forth some kind of effort. If they aren't willing to help themselves, there is nothing out there that will help them. Do they realize that all they get is those shakes? Do they realize that they cannot eat like they have been and get results? My step-daughter is in a similar situation, and I refuse to do anything special for her and have told her that the reason is that I have lost my weight with all the things that are on hand in our house. She is finally coming around to the idea that there are no quick weight loss systems and that she is going to have to work for it.