Phentermine 37.5

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine when you could go online and say "I am 5'5" and weigh 300lbs" then voila an internet DR gave you a prescription.

I took the pills after my son was born in 2003, I only took them for two weeks I went from 160lbs to 140lbs in about 3 weeks. I had no appetite after I stopped taking them. Four months after my son was born I was 5'8" 115lbs. I couldn't even stomach the idea of eating, took me a year to shake my anorexia. I am sure the pills contributed to it.

My BF said I looked like a skeleton.

My suggestion? Don't do it. I always gained the weight back, it was mentally unhealthy, and it is better to change your diet not eat.
    2006 I again obtained a prescription for phentermine. I did not know my weight at the end but to start I was 145lbs. I took it for about a month, I had mood swings, i made me feel excited or depressed I made myself eat something every other day. When I finally began eating again it was because the weight of my BFs arm over my ribs felt like it was crushing me.
  • whairigaila
    Options
    I hit a low point last year and started on Phentarmines - they gave me a kick to go to the gym and curbed my appetite a lot. I took it down from 1 to 1/4 pill every other day becuase it caused me soooooo many sleep issues. I was awake into th earlier hours and couldnt stay awake until i took one the next day.

made me very jittery and yes i did lose weight - about 14lb. Gained 85% of it back within 2 months of stopping them.

As a kick start, I'd say if you are carefully monitored, for a few weeks only it would be ok. I did it so I cant really say "no dont do it".

If i had the choice again, I wouldn't do it myself purely because of the side effects.

Good luck wiht whatever you choose xx
  • KristyMarie88
    Options
    ive been taking it for 5 weeks now and im down more than 20lbs (weigh in tomm.). It does stop you from feeling hungry all day. i get about a 2-3 hour peak of energy thats when ill get my workouts in. All in all i like it, it helps me not think about food all day and i eat when im hungry. Also, my mood has been great since taking it, i feel more alert and happy. I say try it and see how you feel about it. You can do just a weeks or a whole month. my dr recommended to atleast do it for 2 months.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Tried it for about a week and took myself off it. By the end of the week I had some serious anger issues to the point of wanting to kill people. Wasn't pretty.
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have been taking phentermine 37.5 for almost 4 weeks. Since I began taking them, I have lost my cravings for sugar and carbs. It has really curbed my appetite. I am counting my calories and I am trying to exercise several times a week. I want to make this a lifestyle change, with the help of the medication to get me kickstarted and going in the right direction. This drug totally pulled me out of my deep depression I had sustained through the winter (to the point of only wanting to stay in bed, even while on vacation in Key West with friends). I am really focusing on eating good things, but I do not think I am eating enough. Since beginning the pills, I have only lost 6 lbs. I figured the pounds would just come off. I have tons more energy now and motivation, and feel GREAT!!! But I just feel like I should have lost more by now. I had hoped for 10 lbs the first month. My clothes do fit better, so I know I am losing some inches...

Last summer, I had a similar experience. I logged my calories everyday on here, along with my exercise. For me, working out makes me NOT hungry. In three months time last summer, I only lost 10 lbs, working my butt off and eating super healthy, but possibly not netting enough calories.

All in all, I'd like to lose 35 pounds total, to put me in my healthy weight range (I am 5'5"...rounded up) and at a healthy BMI.

My diary is open, so please advise KINDLY. I do not want to drink protein shakes for the rest of my life. I want to eat normal foods both at home and when I go out. I want to be healthy and feel good about myself. Like I said, this is a lifestyle change for me...

Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong,
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a couple of weeks, but I had the opposite effect. It did not give me energy or give me the jitters. I felt like a zombie. Apparently my body reacts differently.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I had the displeasure of working with someone who was taking this, and she turned into a raging psychotic b itch. Horrible!!
  • deyahea573
    deyahea573 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine 37.5 for about four weeks and I would not recommend it to anyone. The weight does come off quite fast because it's a quick fix, not meant for long term weight loss. In the four weeks I took this medication, I noticed I was having bouts of insomnia. Towards the last week and a half I was sleeping maybe about three hours per night and it was taking a toll on my health. I wasn't productive at work and needless to say I didn't have the energy to complete a full workout at the gym. Which is really ironic, since this pill is suppose to give you energy. In my opinion, no prescription pill is worth seeing the numbers on the scale go down because at the end of the day, that is not the healthiest way to lose weight. It's a lifestyle change. You have to fuel your body with healthy food and nutrients so that you can work out to see the results that will stick with you in the long run.
  • PrettyLittleWicked
    Options
    I have taken it. I was just like you, I had a hard time losing weight and controlling what I ate so I asked, no begged, my doctor to put me on Phentermine. She finally agreed and I started taking in. I lost 10 lbs in 1 week. I stopped taking it after one week because of the side effects and anxiety that comes with taking this drug. I am a healthy 27 yr old with no pre-existing diseases or conditions. My doctor was not concerned about major side effects or long term damage but it still freaked me out. I was up at night worrying that my heart would just stop. Insomnia comes from the anxiety you feel about that this drug. I even stopped taking all my other medications including Zyrtec and birth control because I was so worried about drug interactions. I am not opposed to taking this drug to control your eating but heed my warning, this coming from a healthy individual with really nothing to worry about: THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS DRUG. TAKE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Here are my tips if you decide to go against what everyone is saying, like I did.

-Use this as a real opportunity to completely change how you eat. Don't use this as an excuse not to eat at all. You need nutrition and since food will disgust you, use this time to start eating healthy foods that you wouldn't eat normally.
    -Eat heart healthy foods just in case: Mixed Berries, whole wheat, oatmeal, avocados, etc.
    -Monitor your blood pressure every 2 days at Walgreens for free. If it's above 120/85 or higher be VERY concerned and stop taking phentermine IMMEDIATELY. This is proof that your heart can not handle this drug.
    -Just relax. Most likely, unless you have a pre exisiting condition, your heart will not just stop.

Here are some side effects I suffered that were apparently completely normal:
    -Insomnia
    -Exaggerated sense of self well being (being happy for no reason)
    -Anxiety
    -Major cognitive issues (this is the most serious one which is why I stopped taking them) I felt confused and was very forgetful. Made work very difficult. I did not like this feeling

Bottom line, this is not a drug to mess around with. Use it as a tool to completely rehaul your eating habits. This is NOT a magic drug! This isn't a fat burner, it doesn't make you lose weight, it only suppresses your appetite and honestly, if you can't control what you eat you have bigger problems that this pill will not solve. It gave me the chance to completely restructure my eating habits and not I have committed to whole foods like, eating foods that are unprocessed and whole.

Good luck but please don't say we didn't warn you.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I took it, lost 8 lbs easily... then stopped losing. The effects had worn off (after about 4-6 weeks) and I was in the same boat.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My coworker took it. She has lost 40 pounds. But, she does go to gym every day now and watches what she eats. It was what she needed to kick start her weight loss. She has heart palpitations and high heart rates in the beginning .. but after a while everything leveled out. She doesn't take it now bc she lost all the weight she wanted and has maintained it for a couple months now. But .. she still goes to the gym or walks every day.
  • missezwright
    missezwright Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for about a month now. I didn't start MFP until two weeks ago, so I have really lost about 17 pounds now. Phentermine helps to keep me away from the bad foods. It takes away my horrible cravings I have for food that make me eat so bad. I use this opportunity to eat well and I'm hoping to make it a habit. I can actually stop eating when I feel satisfied instead of eating until I'm miserable. Along with the better eating habits it gives me a little spike in energy, so I have been exercising everyday for at least 30min to an hour. So far so good for me; however, I know everyone reacts differently. So, you may just have to try and see how it works for you. Also I noticed all side effects except for dry mouth subsides after the second week. The dry mouth makes you drink water, so to me that's a good thing lol.

42033175.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for years and yes I said years. It did give me more energy and I took off a bunch of weight but I gained all of that back and more because I relied on the appetite suppression and the burst of energy for weight loss instead of adopting a healthy lifestyle.

I believe if you took them in addition to the healthy lifestyle change it might give you a boost but you can't maintain without proper diet and exercise.
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine when I hurt my back and was too scared to workout but I knew I had to lose the weight. I took it for 1 month before realizing that I can do this on my own, cravings and all. I did not want to lose a bunch of weight and when people ask how I did it say, "Oh diet pills." There is no way to say that and be proud of yourself. Not only that, but this is a short term fix AND you become dependent on it, not to mention all the s/e that come with it. No one needs it!! What everyone needs is a little umph to get their a$$es of the couch, start eating healthy and bust your *kitten* in the gym...simple as that!!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I seriously hoped this thread would just die. It seems to go against the grain of what myfitnesspal is all about.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love them thing they can be addicting and i wish i had some now the energy level i ridiculous.
  • awolsey1987
    awolsey1987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took it for a couple of days (half a pill for 3 days) and started having chest pains. It makes you thirsty all the time. I immediately stopped taking it, and have still managed to lose an additional 15 lbs in the past 6 weeks without them. My thoughts were to take them for a month or so, or on the days when I'm feeling extremely tired to just give me a boost, but it's not worth it at all. You can do it on your own. Some days are harder than others, but you just have to keep telling yourself you are worth more than something that is going to do damage to your body. I'm currently waiting for my cardiologist appointment on the 21st because the chest pains have not went away. Very scary to think something in such a small quantity could have messed my heart up so quickly. I'm not sure whats wrong but if it wasn't from the pills that would be very ironic. My advice is to start out slowly and eventually eating the right foods will come naturally and exercising will become something you crave (not phentermine) DON'T DO IT!!
  • Predsfan2013
    Predsfan2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take half a pill but I always drink a gallon of water a day anyways. I have been working out 5 days a week an hour a day. I use it to help with my food intake while I am learning a new way to eat. I am under careful dr supervision and a nutritionist. Not to mention I am starting therapy soon. I am using it in a small dose as a tool and I feel a little better. I only take it every other day . It helps me with energy levels and I mentally make better food choices. I am learning it. My dr and I agreed on taking it for 6 weeks if we see no changes, I stop. Sometimes it's a mental game you play.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Stop...eat less move more. Your welcome.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 12lbs in 3 weeks using it as a helper to stay under my calorie limit. I'm seeing the doc every 30 days, and I doubt I'll be permitted to use it beyond 90. For many, the risks of taking it in exchange for the weightloss are worth it. It's not for people who need to lose 30lbs, it's for obese people.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!