anyone fasting for the month of ramadaan

Options

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    thanku @DHAKIYA..u gave a very detailed information in a precise manner for people from other cultures to atleast have an overall idea about what fasting in ISlam is all about. :)

And everyone have an uplifting and healthy Ramadan :)
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am not muslim but as long as i live in Jeddah I am very much exposed to the Ramadan Holy Month. The first year I came to JED I tried fasting as much as I could... but I couldnt stop my water intake. Anyhow I tried my best. Obviously there is neither any religion reason nor any weight loss reason behind.

I loved iftars with friends, at home or at any restaurant, all the restaurants here make special iftar menu!

I love to see people in the traffic lights giving you a small lunch box FOR FREE containing dates, water, a sandwhich and some lebban to make sure you can break your fast as soon as mahgrib salat is performed.

This year because all my weight loss plan and extremely busy training agenda I will not fast. But... one of my colleagues in the office told me to fast only one day a week, on Fridays.

Well, he is always so excited when Ramadan comes! He used to come to our home EVERYDAY with a tray FULL OF FOOD just before Mahgrib. He loves to share the food with the people who is fasting. The tray use to contain dates, lebban, foul and some other traditional dishes.

I said... why not trying to fast on Fridays? And it seems that I will try. One day a week is not that tought than 7 days a week during the whole month!

It will be my challenge and it will be a way to get closer to them in their fasting!

Saudi Arabia looks great during Ramadan, the feeling in the streets really remind me our Christian Christmas. People enjoying getting together till late night (but next day I have to come to the office ontime, you know, no Saudi no Muslim).

Ramadan Kareem to all of you Muslim MFP's!!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I haven't done it in years, but this year I am going to give it an honest 100% try. Probably not all 30 days but we'll see! Interested in the responses here... I want some tips on how/what to eat and exercise, etc.....

Fasting is a great method to burn fat !! Just fast the normal Ramadan hours and as soon the sun sets and we're finally allowed to eat. eat 3 dates or something sugary (a little not alot :/) and plenty of water this will give you great energy go and workout and have your main meal after that workout!! I promise your going to love the results !! Also remember to stay hydrated throughout your workout!!

Ramadan isn't a holiday to lose weight. Most times you actually gain..
  • Puri85
    Puri85 Posts: 6
    Options
    welll............... i'm doin it every years since my childhood, but when the ied comes, my weight just rising in the sky..... lol
    that bcoz my eating habbit during ramadhan. traditionally, every house in my country provide their very best thing they can eat and as many as possible amount. that plus a mind set that "pay for the whole day meals at night" make us -some of us- blowing our scale away.but for this year i swear i will stop that habbit.....
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Blessings everyone,
    I am not fasting but I would definitely like to learn more about this fasting of a different culture...
    Where can I read more information about this?
    :-)

well I can run you through the basics.... a good book about Islam for the basics is "teach yourself Islam" by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood.

During Ramadan, you fast from dawn (i.e. first light) until sunset. While fasting you refrain from eating, drinking and sex. These things are allowed during the night. Usually you have two meals a day, iftaar just after sunset, and suhoor before first light, which means getting up in the night to eat it. Snacking during the night is allowed, and also for health reasons you need to keep drinking water through the night otherwise you won't stay hydrated during the fast.

At sunset it's traditional and recommended (but not compulsory) to break the fast with a glass of water and one or three dates. (it's traditional to eat dates in odd numbers). After breaking the fast, you do the sunset prayer, then have iftaar, preferably with family and friends. This should be a special occasion, but it's also taught that what you eat during the night should be enough to sustain you, and not extravagant. It's strongly advised to give food and/or money to the poor during this time, so what you save on food can be given to people who need it. After iftaar everyone prays the night time prayer, and during Ramadan there are extra prayers after this called Tarawih, where 1/30th of the Qur'an is recited by the imam each night. There are 30 days in Ramadan, and the whole Qur'an is recited, 1/30th each day. Also Ramadan is a time to renew your faith and make a renewed effort not to do any sins they may have fallen into the habit of doing.

Because fasting can be quite strenuous on the body, there are some reasons for people being excused - anyone who is sick is advised not to fast (if it's something mild like a cold you can, but any illness that would be made worse by fasting, you shouldn't fast) also if you become ill while fasting you break the fast and eat something. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers can choose to fast or not fast depending on how they feel, but if they are afraid for their child's safety they mustn't fast. Also travellers are excused from fasting, and women are excused while menstruating. If the reason for not fasting is something temporary, you make up the fasts later on when that reason does not apply. If you're excused from fasting, you don't eat publicly, because you don't want to eat in front of people when they're fasting (plus it can draw attention to you like "hi I'm menstruating" kind of thing!!)

At the end of Ramadan, there is the festival Eid al Fitr, where people meet up with friends and family, go to Eid prayers and generally have a good time. There's lots of food around at Eid, naturally, as it's the first time you're able to eat again during the day. Eid lasts for 3 days. You're not allowed to fast during Eid, so anyone with fasts to make up because they couldn't fast for some of the time in Ramadan has to wait until after Eid before they start fasting again.

Thank you for sharing this. :) It is a great explanation for those of us who are unfamiliar. I will see if my library has that book.

I hope you all have a very happy holiday! <3 Oh, and good luck with your MFP goals as well! :)
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    Can one actually fast and still be able to lose weight? Or the long hours of no food/water inhibits any progress?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian and I like to eat.

I am sure they like to eat too... isn't that why most of us are here in the first place? :P

Note: I just wanted to apologize for the disrespectful behavior of others. It is the way of the Internet. However, some of us can appreciate that the Internet helps us connect and learn, rather than making nonconstructive comments. Again, I hope you all have a very happy holiday! <3:)
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am not a Muslim so I do not observe Ramadaan. I just wanted to offer you all my support and blessing during this time.

Be safe and be smart. From just reading this post there are many people on this sight that are here and more than willing to help you.

Peace and Blessing to you all!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I am not Muslim, but I think this is AWESOME and very interesting. I love seeing people dedicated to both their faith and their goals.
    I hope all of you have a great Ramadaan.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting whole month starting from July 20. I hope as always it will be a purifying experience for all of us. In Norway it will be 19 hours fast in the beginning but will gradually shorten during the month. I am really looking forward to the month of Ramadan. Happy Ramadan to everyone on MFP!!
  • NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    As-salaamu alaikum:

Insha Allah, I WILL be fasting the entire month of Ramaadan; and I really look forward to it. Not for the sake of losing weight, but all for the sake of being Muslim, the benefits of fasting, and obedience to Allah.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it is appropriate to say "Happy Ramadaan"...but Happy Ramadaan to all of you!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @Arollie....It is happy Ramadan and thanks for your best wishes.
  • Puri85
    Options
    you know what, scientist at my country learn that when fasting, every inner body organs of ours take their yearly vacation. That's make us healthier, because, during a year, our inner organs work really hard for 24 hours. (well, our heart is not take vacation, but we make it work easier in our body) every day, it digest our food intake every hours every days for a year, but fasting make them rest for not digest when we fasting. plus if you're moslem, you need to make prayer and duaa during fasting, it just like a yoga thing, when you focusing your mind on your pray or duaa with empty stomach, it's challenging. and ALLAh SWT will grant your pray and duaa with no exceptions during ramadhan.... so that's for us, really wonderfully beautiful....

but i never lose my weight during ramadhan, it's gainin... hahahahahahaha.....
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Me too! Looking foward to it.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    I am not sure if it is appropriate to say "Happy Ramadaan"...but Happy Ramadaan to all of you!

Thats very sweet of you. Thanks.
  • cocoa_cutie513
    cocoa_cutie513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Salaam alaikum guys! This will be my first Ramadan in many years due to having health issues (severe anemia). The anemia is still bad, but I'm going to try my best to work with it and not against it, inshallah.

Still trying to figure out how I wan tto go about eating plans + fitting in my weight training. We shall see.
  • Puri85
    Options
    I am a Christian and I like to eat.

I am sure they like to eat too... isn't that why most of us are here in the first place? :P

Note: I just wanted to apologize for the disrespectful behavior of others. It is the way of the Internet. However, some of us can appreciate that the Internet helps us connect and learn, rather than making nonconstructive comments. Again, I hope you all have a very happy holiday! <3:)
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    Assalamu Alaikum (Peace be with you all)

Inshallah (God willing), i will be fasting during the month of Ramadan,

I do not intend to workout during this month, just let my body rest and inshallah learn a bit more about the way of life and get closer to Allah (God).

Ameen